Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Best and Worst Surprise Grade?6207

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@czarnickolas

No worries, I was just making sure I was reading it right.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Included in my first ever order to CBCS (or any grading company) was a nice copy of Iron Man and Sub-Mariner #1 (a one-shot book that predated both Iron Man #1 and Sub-Mariner #1 and has stories that are continued in those issues - yes, Marvel was making you buy extra comics even back in 1968). I had never tried to put a number value on a comic before (I grew up with G/VG, FN/VF and VF/NM as the main grades), and had taken a 20+ year hiatus from collecting as well. The book looked high-grade to me, but the paper on the right side of the comic was a little rough, and there was just a little wear at the top and bottom of the spine. I hoped the book would get an 8.5 from CBCS. Here's what they graded it:

I have since learned that roughly cut edges were fairly common in SA comics, so they did not hurt the grade. So this comic (and really any BA Newsstand Edition that comes back with a 9.8) are my biggest surprises for best grades. This was the highest graded and the only 9.6 SA comic from my first order.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
My worst surprises have been due to me being ignorant of restoration. My first CBCS order included an Iron Man #8 that came back with a slight color touch, and I have gotten back two SA X-Men that were found to be trimmed. This one bummed me out the most, as I thought it was one of the nicest copies I had ever seen of this issue (now I know why). Here's the ungraded copy:

And here's the slab:

All three restored books were bought from dealers over 35 years ago. I'm guessing the two X-Men were bought from the same guy.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector JesterHats private msg quote post Address this user
Worst: This Doctor Strange #28. Totally gorgeous NM+ looking book, but cover & first wrap are detached from bottom staple. I wonder if it's some kinda factory error.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector czarnickolas private msg quote post Address this user
@JesterHats Oh man. The dreaded checkmark. "Looks better than its grade."
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnickolas
@JesterHats Oh man. The dreaded checkmark. "Looks better than its grade."
I can’t stand that! I’ve had many books returned with the scarlet letter!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector JesterHats private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, it sucked to see. I wonder if CGC would give it a 9.6 qualified. :P
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought this as a raw 6.0 from a pretty reputable dealer. I did feel like it was under graded but this was very surprising

Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Not as significant as many others here, but one pleasant surprise was my GSX #1.

Purchased raw as a 3.0 for about $80 & came back from CBCS as a 4.0.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
This is my best surprise grade. Bought it as a raw “7.5” but I knew it looked gorgeous. Had it graded and came back as a 9.4. Was only expecting 8.5

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
In follow up my worst surprises were my asm 121 and 122. I had them graded previously and they came in at a nice 8.0 and 8.5, below. However, they were just graded, no previous pressing.

I decided to crack them, have them pressed and regraded. After such, a whole grade drop each. Was seriously so mad and in my opinion they do not deserve the lower grade and show no justification for it. These will most likely be cracked again and resubmitted to cbcs.

Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Holy cr@p, that is seriously screwed up! This just seems to prove the grading has gotten waaaaay too tight across the street as some have been complaining of as of late.
Post 37 IP   flag post
600649 37 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?