Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
This book will be known to many collectors. It is not something which should catch people by surprise given the news broke while it can still be pre-ordered and before printrun is determined.

Yeah, I know.

I think the sfter market will push/feed the eventual speculation of Lobo's daughter as a character in the Lobo movie.

It depends, though.....as you noted, this book is being touted as the 1st app of a new team, and the book itself is already a good seller i.e. not short printed.

The only modern, mainstream superhero book that has come put in the past couple of years and that blew up to a $20-$30+ book and did not tank....that I can think of, is Totally Awesome Hulk #22.

That is a book that was touted as the 1st appearance of Weapon H; a Hulk/Wolverine hybrid character, in Diamond pteviews, 2 months before it hit stands (maybe 6 weeks before it was printed)...and that book is averaging around $190+ in 9.8, trending upward.

But, it was a title that most shops never really carried, to begin with, so it was still very short printed.

Teen Titans is not a short printed book.

Than again, neither is ASM....and people are paying good money for the 1st app of Red Goblin and the assorted variant schlop.

Not TAH 22 kind of money, though.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
what DC books (non shop variants) with new characters (or leading up to new characters) in the past few years have been good flips? Other than TT12, I can't think of any. Maybe DNM Red Death? On the other hand, marvel has a fair amount (TAH 22, Avengers 676, ASM 795, Moon Girl 28 are the ones off the top of my head).

DC just doesn't generate the same flip interest...at least not out of the gate. Given that trend, I'm not seeing how TT20"this will be differnt or the next TT12 for DC. But we'll see. Will likely grab the best conditioned copy I can find off the rack.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Lobo's daughter (wonder what her name will be)

My money is on Oboe... Lobo and Oboe.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
what DC books (non shop variants) with new characters (or leading up to new characters) in the past few years have been good flips? Other than TT12, I can't think of any. Maybe DNM Red Death? On the other hand, marvel has a fair amount (TAH 22, Avengers 676, ASM 795, Moon Girl 28 are the ones off the top of my head).

DC just doesn't generate the same flip interest...at least not out of the gate. Given that trend, I'm not seeing how TT20"this will be differnt or the next TT12 for DC. But we'll see. Will likely grab the best conditioned copy I can find off the rack.

Yup, Marvel books do generate more "flippage" material...my guess is it is due to the combination of Marvel's more prominent position in the film/TV market, which influences the speculator after market.

Waaaay more Marvel TV shows are successful, and even exist, on TV/cable, than DC. (just look at Netflix for the TV/cable side....are there any DC Netflix shows at all?) and the fact that most of the past few years film wise,Marvel movies being, as a whole, much more critically , fan and commercially well received than DC movies.

Wonder Woman is the only DC film that was a huge success for DC, on all fronts.

DC had finally wised up though, with capitalizing on the cultural aspect of WW and the whole #metoo cultural shift by picking a female director for Birds Of Prey, followed with having a huge name like Spielberg usher forth a Blackhawk movie.

That said, I think the tide will change for modern DC's.

TT 12 though, is a hell of a slammer and AFAIK, the Batman who laughs has nothing to do with DC film or TV properties so it is an outlier....With GPA on 9.8's averaging just under $300, with (3) 9.8's selling at the $400 and above mark ( $400, $400 and $450 )...it is insane to think that a modern book, just published a few months ago, would be an instant $250-$275 sale in 9.8, if popped on eBay for a quick BIN.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oh god this is super lame. i just died and came back to tell you all that.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Teen Titans Special #1 comes out a week before TT #20. Any possibility that the Special turns out to be the "hot" book?
Post 31 IP   flag post
I think Lobo's daughter, the art shown, will actually have a pretty strong appeal to the teen/early 20's market.

The teenage angsty/emo force is strong with this one.

The character even looks like a tarted out teenage girl that you see at comic vonventions, cost laying as Harley Quinn or another character.

This alone will probably/possibly make the book a good flipper...and if she is very well received, odds are the speculators will jump over the chance of her being in a Lobo movie...and DC would make that happen, based on fan reaction.

Of course, any movie announcement w/her would not be any time soon.

There is also the possibility that the book could be worth relatively nothing , and end up in .50 cent and $1 boxes at conventions, 2 weeks or so after its' release, like most moderns do.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Teen Titans Special #1 comes out a week before TT #20. Any possibility that the Special turns out to be the "hot" book?

If TT 20 actually pans out to be a book that people give a damn about, I'd say that TT Special #1 will play second fiddle.

It would be a lead in story to TT #20; and would be a last page app or 1 panel cameo app of the new team...or a "coming best issue" blurb, at worst.

These sorts of books are generally good for about 1/4 to 3/4 of the price of first full appearances.

If this is true, it will muddy the waters for speculators and keep overall orders for #20 down.

If a speculator was going to pre order 20 copies of TT 20, he would probably cut that down to 15 copies and add in 5 copies of TTS #1.

So TTS #1 will ostensibly tamp down the print run of TT #20, as speculators will not be sure of which book to focus on.

This would be good for TT 20, as eBay would not have a huge glut of #20's....supply would be less, increasing the price of TT 20.

This is all conjecture though, and only will be applicable if the book is actually a hit.. ..After all, my crystal ball is not capable of showing images of dozens of copies of this book in a row, in .50 cent long boxes at conventions.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Babs Tarr variant cover:

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Eventually Damian Wayne and her hook up and get married, just a spec thought only.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

I know this is a late response but there were a few DC books that were generating some heat but really cooled off when they relaunched their titles. Some books I can think of that were Red Lantern #28 (1st Red Daughter of Krypton), Green Lantern #20/JL #30 (1st Jessica Cruz), Justice League #40 (1st Grail), Justice League #51 (Error), Flash #197 (1st Professor Zoom). While they didn't generate any where the same amount of heat the Marvel titles generated, it was still books that were being flipped for a short period of time.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Oh, one more. There was Batman #24 that was hot for a minute.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Oh, one more. There was Batman #24 that was hot for a minute.

Surprised it hasn't heated up with issue 50 and the assumed wedding. I have a Tim sale variant that doesn't even get any looks...and I'm not pricing it that high.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I don't recall any engagement/wedding issue wind up being a significant key years after the initial bump up in price. I think Spider-man Annual 21 may be the exception due to the two covers, but I can't think of any other.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I don't recall any engagement/wedding issue wind up being a significant key years after the initial bump up in price. I think Spider-man Annual 21 may be the exception due to the two covers, but I can't think of any other.
agree.. Weddings aren't key.. do we really read comics for the weddings? Can't say any wedding event is top of my list unless something genuinely significant happens.. Like half the justice league guest list gets executed and first appearance of the future child of bats and catwoman as he time travels back to save the day..

I'd buy that issue
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
agree.. Weddings aren't key.. do we really read comics for the weddings? Can't say any wedding event is top of my list unless something genuinely significant happens.. Like half the justice league guest list gets executed and first appearance of the future child of bats and catwoman as he time travels back to save the day..

I'd buy that issue

I agree. Those issues don't hold as much value after the initial rush to buy it.
Post 41 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I’d buy if the title is: Batman: the red wedding.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

If TT 20 actually pans out to be a book that people give a damn about, I'd say that TT Special #1 will play second fiddle.

It would be a lead in story to TT #20; and would be a last page app or 1 panel cameo app of the new team...or a "coming best issue" blurb, at worst.

These sorts of books are generally good for about 1/4 to 3/4 of the price of first full appearances.

If this is true, it will muddy the waters for speculators and keep overall orders for #20 down.

If a speculator was going to pre order 20 copies of TT 20, he would probably cut that down to 15 copies and add in 5 copies of TTS #1.

So TTS #1 will ostensibly tamp down the print run of TT #20, as speculators will not be sure of which book to focus on.

This would be good for TT 20, as eBay would not have a huge glut of #20's....supply would be less, increasing the price of TT 20.

This is all conjecture though, and only will be applicable if the book is actually a hit.. ..After all, my crystal ball is not capable of showing images of dozens of copies of this book in a row, in .50 cent long boxes at conventions.

First of all - it is titans special 1 not teen titans special 1. Secondly if she is in cameo in titans special 1 then that is the book to own as I will bet the print run is much smaller than TT20.
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I thought Orange Crush is a monster truck
Post 44 IP   flag post
@poka There is a Titans Special 1 coming out, but CAK is talking about Teen Titans Special 1.

This book:

Post 45 IP   flag post
@poka Also, Dynamic Forces is already labeling Teen Titans 20 as Crush's first appearance and selling already slabbed, already signed special editions for pre-order.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
@poka There is a Titans Special 1 coming out, but CAK is talking about Teen Titans Special 1.

This book:

i understand - but it is the wrong book. the rumor is about titans special 1 which releases this week and which is sold out online
Post 47 IP   flag post
@poka Ah. I haven't seen that rumor. Where did you see it?
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:

various places. here is one

https://comicsheatingup.net/2018/06/11/thinks-i-like-and-dont-like-for-the-week-of-june-13th-2018/#more-24707
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

https://comicsheatingup.net/2018/06/11/thinks-i-like-and-dont-like-for-the-week-of-june-13th-2018/#more-24707

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. Looks like a lot of spec on that Titans Special 1. If she does appear in that, I bet Dynamic Forces won't be too happy about it because they are pushing Teen Titans 20 as her first appearance. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

If she does not appear in TS 1, I guess the next spec book will TTS 1, then maybe Titans 23.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. Looks like a lot of spec on that Titans Special 1. If she does appear in that, I bet Dynamic Forces won't be too happy about it because they are pushing Teen Titans 20 as her first appearance. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

If she does not appear in TS 1, I guess the next spec book will TTS 1, then maybe Titans 23.

If she appears before TT20 will probably just be a cameo so TT20 May still be the first full appearance
Post 51 IP   flag post
get both. My guess is that TT20 will be heavily ordered, but cover B will be harder to come buy and it has Crushs first cover appearance...so my guess is if it's just a cameo prior to that book TT20B is worth grabbing of the lot of them.

but TS1 was not widely advertised...so who knows.

TTS1 is starting to sell out too.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Unofficially official. TS1 has no Crush appearance. TTS1 is the first appearance (may still be a cameo).

Prices are starting to climb for TTS1 on eBay. And the book isn't out for two weeks!

Why is everyone so gaga about this character when they don't know anything about her, and Lobo isn't even that popular? S

Meanwhile I hear Venom #2 and Thos #1 may each have a first appearance...Thor being another mashup character. Because whe just have mashed enough!
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I'm told the new Justice League #1 that came out last week, in the back there is a preview of Teen Titans #20. One page is the full cover with Lobo's Daughter on it and there's a two page spread with LD drawn large from the waist up in the top left corner.

Anyone here care about previews?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

Anyone here care about previews?

I think all the DC monthly comics/regulars had the preview.

But to answer your question....nope.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600893 91 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?