CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

COMIC SHOPS IN PHILADELPHIA6127

PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I'm planning a trip to Philadelphia in the next few weeks and
would appreciate any suggestions as to what shop(s) would be the
most interesting to visit. It's been many years since I've returned
home to Philadelphia and I truly have no idea what's there now.
It would be interesting to know if any Shop Owners are on this site.
Again, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Marty
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
Fat jacks comic crypt.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
Itโ€™s a bit outside the city, but Iโ€™ve enjoyed hitting Comic Universe (446 MacDade Boulevard, Folsom, PA 19033) when Iโ€™ve traveled to Philly in the past. Good selection of back issues.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
A short drive into Jersey will get you to my favorite LCS, Stormwatch Comics. The owner, Bob, is the man. Tons of back issues to wade through too
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I live in this area, as well.

Wades Comic Madness would be where I'd go, in the Philly-ish area i.e. if I was in PA.

Bob at StormWatch is a great guy to buy from, dunno how deep his stock is on the sort of gold thru silver books that Marty seems to be focused on, though.

Than again, he did have a lot of nice silver the last time I was at his shop, around 3 months ago.I don't go there that often, StormWatch is kind of out of my way.

I do know for sure that Frankenstein Comics in Woodbury NJ...about a 20 minute drive from Philly, would be a great place for Marty to pick up some silver.

Bill at Frankenstein literally buys silver age books everyday. He buys almost everything that walks through his door.

Bill is also a great guy to deal with.

JHV Associates is literally next door to Frankenstein Comics, as well.

JHV is not a public store, but if you contact them ahead of time, you can make an appointment with them to view their books....JHV carries pretty much only gold and silver.

Joe at JHV is also another great dealer and a super friendly guy. I remember buying a fair copy of Adventure Comics #61 off him, he had it priced at half of Over street's GD value...IIRC, it was around $500, he knocked off 10% for me.Bill introduced me to him, turned out that Joe lived a house or two away from my aunt and uncle in Woodbury of. Hell, Joe even came to my uncle's funeral, around 15 years ago. I think I have only seen Joe set up at a con once in this area, he does San Diego and Chicago IIRC.

Anyway, I put that Adv 61 on eBay, ran it for a 7 day auction and got the GD price for it...around a $1000.

This was over 15 years ago, before CGC came around and when you could actually let books fly in penny auctions and do well, 95% of the time.Ah, the good old days...When comic cons never sucked and eBay was a goldmine....RIP๐Ÿ‘ป

Digression aside...

Between JHV and Frankenstein, that is a pretty big one two punch, in one trip.

There is also another comic book shop that opened a few months back, which is also next door to Frankenstien...owner's name is Jerry, can't remember the name of his store offhand, only been there once....He carries vintage comics, records and toys...1960's- 1960's Mego's, GI Joe and Star Wars.The owner's name is Jerry, also a super nice guy.I think his shop's name is Retro Station.

So really, you have three comic shops in the same outdoor strip mall....none of which caters toward the Magic card and gaming kids...basically 3 old school-esque comic/toy shop

JHV is more of a heavy hitter dealer, he mostly sells CGC graded books.Bill and Jerry do not carry graded books, at all.

As far as "raw" silver age is concerned, Bill has about the deepest selection that I know of, within a 50 mile radius...probably more than Fat Jack's

I can't go to Bill's shop and not buy books...and I'm primarily a dealer.

If you just want to stick to Philly, Fat Jack's or Wades Comic Madness would be my suggestion. Wade has a better selection IMO.

But having 3 shops, located within literally 1 to 30 feet of one another, makes that trip a no brainer, to me.

@Marty Tell those 3 cats that I sent ya, if you go.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids wow thatโ€™s great info... now I need to get back to Philly!
Post 6 IP   flag post
No problem, I am full of South Jersey/Philly comic book history and trivia.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

If you really want to hear some good stories, Bill at Frankenstein is the man.โ˜บ
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
No problem, I am full of South Jersey/Philly comic book history and trivia.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

But if you really want to hear some good stories, Bill at Frankenstein is the man.โ˜บ

So noted!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Any recommendations for shops in the Metro area?

Marty
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Any recommendations for shops in the Metro area?

Marty

Blagh.

Brother, you are severely limiting your options by just sticking to the city.

Getting a uber to pick you up and another uber driver to take you back to your place in Philly will cost you less than a traditional taxi from virtually anywhere in the metro Philly area, to a Philly shop , both ways.

https://www.uber.com/fare-estimate/

With my 3 shop in one trip trifecta suggestion, as long as you call JHV ahead of time to schedule an appointment, you have three shops for a treasure hunt expidition, in one stop.

As far as Philly metro shops, if you prefer to shortchange yourself and IMHO, waste your time, Fat Jack's is the only shop in the city that is still open, that has a decent chunk of vintage comics.

But you will find a lot more, including the oddball 1960's- 1960's fanzines that you collect (Frankenstein has this sort of stuff in their magazine boxes; Ditko,60's EC and Marvel fanzines, all kinds of obscure 60's mags at $10 a pop).....that is the kind of shop where you could stumble upon that Steranko Spy man mag you're looking for.

From high down to cheapies ex.; Frankenstein has reader Eerie, Creepy and Vampirella mags at $2 a pop.

Frankenstein does not sell any books online, so when he buys books, nothing is cherry picked to flip on eBay.

Frankenstein is as old school of a comic shop as you can get.

Which is the absolute ideal, wether you are a legit collector (as you are) or a dealer/scumbag flipper (yours truly). ๐Ÿ˜‰โ˜บ

Bill (Frankenstien) sets up at his quarterly convention in Cherry Hill NJ (which you may be around for, actually) and sporadically at a couple small shows in the area.

Another +1 is that Frankenstein is a one man show. You will not see a 21 year old college kid behind the counter, ever.

With the exception of every other Saturday when he has a long time customer of his, take his place for the day, the owner is the sole operator of the shop.

Marty, if you take the trip to Frankenstein, JHV and Retro Station....and you somehow manage to walk away, less than happy, I will pay pal you the round trip cost of your Uber fare.
โ˜บ
Post 10 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids ...Thank you for the information and the OFFER!

Marty
Post 11 IP   flag post
600885 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?