Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

my rant(as everyone gets a piece of the pie)6107

COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, and don't throw the shipping box away to prove it could not have possibly been damaged in shipping, thus making them complicit in it's condition before leaving their hands.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Now we all know. And if we all tell 10 collectors.....
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
lol...@foghorn...everything you said is correct. But this doesn't warrant a lawyer. The book is fine. I'm just amazed that they think its ok to ship a damaged slab without mentioning it. If i bought this for a guy because he couldn't make the auction and had it shipped directly to him, I'd be on the hook and rightfully so.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard so many horror stories about Metropolis over the years (though my personal dealings have all been fine) that nothing would surprise me anymore.

Sorry about having to re-holder the book. That sucks.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher I was wondering if you even saw the broken piece anywhere in the box or wrapping? If not then that really makes sense what you said about wrapping it up that way after the case broke. Sorry if you already mentioned it. Sorry that happened to you.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I think a "demand letter" from your lawyer is in order for full restitution.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Watcher I was wondering if you even saw the broken piece anywhere in the box or wrapping? If not then that really makes sense what you said about wrapping it up that way after the case broke. Sorry if you already mentioned it. Sorry that happened to you.

Thanks...its not a crisis...just frustrating. I did see a chip inside the slab (not the wrapping) and there were no tiny shards anywhere; which tells me it not only happened pre wrap, but someone cleared out the tinier pieces by turning it upside down
Post 32 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Much like shaken baby syndrome I would not assume the case was damaged beforehand. You have no idea how much the box was bounced around in transit.

Even with the bubble wrap a slab see slamming against the inside of the box could result in a cracked case.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Much like shaken baby syndrome I would not assume the case was damaged beforehand. You have no idea how much the box was bounced around in transit.

Even with the bubble wrap a slab see slamming against the inside of the box could result in a cracked case.

a cracked case -yes. A corner impact dislodging a chip into the case and fracturing the perimeter with no damage to the box...doubtful. But it's a dead point since I already accepted the 25 credit and shipped to CGC .
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
So..just need to vent because I miss the old days where a comic was worth "x" and you sold it for "x" .

I just dropped 1200 on that Gaines 9.4 EC which took 4 weeks to arrive from Metropolis. Ridiculous all by itself. I paid for the book and the Auction site got it's cut and I paid for shipping.

The book arrives with a chunk of the slab missing from the corner and stress cracks around it. Booked was properly bubble wrapped and the box didn't have a mark on it, so somebody dropped the slab and shipped it anyway. I emailed them and was informed they don't take returns on cracked slabs and CGC slabs always break for no reason but they'll credit me 25.00 on my next purchase. Really?? But you guys dropped it and you guys know it...and you still shipped it because you know you don't take returns and can blame shipping. I feel dirty.

So I just shipped the slab back to CGC for a reslab..15.00 plus 18.00 to ship and 30.00 to insure AND I have to pay to ship back to me ...so now everyone has taken a piece of this book and I have to sell it for 10% more than its worth just to break even (if the book doesn't get destroyed in the month its out and about traveling the world).

It just irritates me ..that's all I have to say about that

Metropolis does accept returns on cracked slabs, if the slab was cracked/damaged during shipping and it was sent with insurance coverage.

That sounds unlike something that Metropolis would do, I am certain that Vincent Zurzulo would not ship out a cracked slab.

Of course, Zurzulo does not pack and ship out orders himself.He has employees who work for him that handle shipping; receiving, billing and so on. It is possible that one of Zurzulo workers managed to drop the slab and did not want to tell anyone about it.

Have you spoken with Vincent about this?

I suggest that you do that, if you have not already.

Btw, this is why I record myself boxing up, and opening up, high dollar items that I buy or sell.

It sounds like a PITA, which it actually is, but it really isn't that difficult.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@copperage...I included the email response I received from them up top somewhere...it's fine. I'm certain this happened in house and not during shipping...but it's over
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

a cracked case -yes. A corner impact dislodging a chip into the case and fracturing the perimeter with no damage to the box...doubtful. But it's a dead point since I already accepted the 25 credit and shipped to CGC .

Actually, that could have happened, and it would not be unlikely at all, if a lot of pressure was exerted on the box during shipping.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
@copperage...I included the email response I received from them up top somewhere...it's fine. I'm certain this happened in house and not during shipping...but it's over

You missed my point.

You need to speak to the owner of the company, not one of the owner's employees.

If this did happen in house, as you believe, Zurzulo should be made aware of this. There is no way that Zurzulo would NOT want to know about this, this hurts his business. Why would Zurzulo want to risk tarnishing the reputation of his company, losing not only existing customers but under bidders as well?

That is not logical.
Post 38 IP   flag post
true and point taken...but regarding the crack and pressure exerted on the box...I could step on that slab 100 times in a row (just me , the slab and a concrete floor) and not once would the force exerted be limited to the 1/2" corner (the most reinforced portion of the slab) without spidering deeper into the slab. A couple pounds of force may crack the surface area with ease when it's banged around (wrapped or not), but the force needed to fracture the corner and only the corner and then send the piece inside the case instead of out , says corner impact all day long. The energy needed to blow in the reinforced corner could never exist without damage to the corner of the box. The corner of the slab can't be accessed head on from any other impact point in a box. That slab fell directly onto it's corner and may have only fallen 8" , but absolutely had direct impact stress before it was packaged.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

I'm not buying from metropolis if this is their policy. It's a terrible policy. Pathetic for all the reasons stated above.

As far as case robustness, I've only had a new cbcs case crack on my watch. Not sure why. Didn't drop it or stack it. Didn't arrive that way either fresh from cbcs. So I must've looked at it wrong.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
damn man... that's terrible... $1200 and its like "oh sorry..." smh.

Exactly!! What's that company worth ? You know they have insurance for this stuff. It was their mis-step on top of that. But screw the little guy out of nickels and dimes anyway. This is the mentality that irritates the shit out of me.

But now I will never buy from them again and they can keep their 25.00 credit.

Exactly. You live. You learn. Your experience is enough for me to never buy from them either.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 I have purchased roughly 1,800 books from Metropolis and will continue to buy from them.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely be cautious with their grading of raw books - they tend to give qualified grades if books have flaws.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Definitely be cautious with their grading of raw books - they tend to give qualified grades if books have flaws.

Very Much agreed. Ive gotten a few nice books from them, but i have return way more bad overgrades.

To their credit the returns were customer friendly and easy.
Post 44 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
"Btw, this is why I record myself boxing up, and opening up, high dollar items that I buy or sell."

i am glad i am not the only one doing this.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:

Some books really need qualified grades.

They do note the flaws, in such cases....and if they assign a "Qualified" grade, they make that pretty clear
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 I have purchased roughly 1,800 books from Metropolis and will continue to buy from them.

If you do not mind sharing what % of those were slabs...and if any cases were cracked upon arrival?
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

I'm not buying from metropolis if this is their policy. It's a terrible policy. Pathetic for all the reasons stated above.

That is not Metropolis' policy.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That's fine. I have other issues with Metropolis... such as not responding to emails when a book is listed as "Please Inquire".... or making me take a day off work to sign for a package. If I'm willing to risk a $400 book being stolen at my doorstep, I should be allowed to sign a waiver and have the book dropped off on my doorstep.

The cracked case is a matter of principle. If there's no dent to the cardboard inside the box, it wasn't a handling issue. If it was a handling issue and the outside of the box is not damaged, then it's inadequate padding and protection in the box. When you buy a slabbed book, it is expected to arrive in an undamaged slab unless noted by the seller beforehand. A $25 credit is an insult. It's like saying they take no responsibility for you receiving a damaged product. They want to coax you into buying from them again and ignoring their failures. If I'm not receiving exactly what was expected, I am not going to take bribes to ignore that it happened. I'm going to mark it up as inadequate and shop elsewhere. At no point do I ever want to receive a product that is damaged. It's a waste of my time to deal with it. Spare time is more valuable to me than money as I get older.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
true and point taken...but regarding the crack and pressure exerted on the box...I could step on that slab 100 times in a row (just me , the slab and a concrete floor) and not once would the force exerted be limited to the 1/2" corner (the most reinforced portion of the slab) without spidering deeper into the slab. A couple pounds of force may crack the surface area with ease when it's banged around (wrapped or not), but the force needed to fracture the corner and only the corner and then send the piece inside the case instead of out , says corner impact all day long. The energy needed to blow in the reinforced corner could never exist without damage to the corner of the box. The corner of the slab can't be accessed head on from any other impact point in a box. That slab fell directly onto it's corner and may have only fallen 8" , but absolutely had direct impact stress before it was packaged.

You should have, and you still should, take this up with Zurzulo.

If Metropolis was at fault, Zurzulo would surely want to know about it. And he deserves to know about it.

What Zurzulo does not deserve, is to have his company's name dragged through the mud, unbeknownst to him.

As far as your comment on the cracked case, I am not sure you are correct.*

What I am sure of however, is that had you brought this directly to Zurzulo, after your subpar experience with the Metropolis customer service department, he would have made this right.

He still would/will make this right by covering your reholdering cost, if you give him the chance.

If you want, I will send him a link to this thread.

No Country For Old Men

Sheriff Ed Tom Bell:

" Do you know old Charlie Walser whose got that place out east of Sanderson?"

Sheriff Ed Tom Bell:

" Well you know how he used to slaughter beeves; him 'em with right here with a maul and then truss 'em up and slit their throats? Well here old Charlie has one trussed up and all set to drain him and the beef comes to. It starts thrashing around. Six hundred pounds of very pissed off livestock... if you'll excuse the... well. Charlie grabs his gun there shoots the damn thing in the head but with all the swinging and the thrashing it's a glance shot, ricochets around, comes back and hits Charlie in the shoulder. You go see Charlie he still can't pick up his right hand for his hat."

Sheriff Ed Tom Bell:

" The point bein' even in the contest between man and steer, the issue is not certain
"
Post 50 IP   flag post
@Watcher I would take CAK up on his offer. Nothing to lose at this point...let them contact you.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
out and about traveling the world

Sorry, I couldn't help myself

Post 52 IP   flag post
@Watcher It looks like Frank Cwiklik left the door open for you to contact him. Why not take him up on it and express how disappointed you are in how all of this has unfolded and how they have chosen to handle it. I think as a customer you deserve far better than the lame dismissal you were given. If you don't get anywhere with him, then ask to speak with Vincent.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Both @foghorn and @CAK are right..the opportunity is present to bring this to a place allowing for adequate reparations. It is the logical step and obviously it bothered me enough to start this thread.

I disagree that the owner should have been notified prior to his company being addressed publicly. It would be a courtesy and a courtesy was not afforded me. If I were a high end customer like Doc and there was a mutual relationship then I would most certainly have reached out to the owner first. But, I made my 1st purchase with them and was dismissed by a representative of the owner and don't feel I had the obligation to respect the company the way I would if I were Doc.

They made 3 errors and thats enough for me:

- 4 wks to ship a book that was paid for immediately and would have taken much longer if I didn't call once a wk finally demanding someone track down the book on week 4 and get it out. In and of itself, sh*t happens and 4 wks is not a deal breaker...just a mix up.

- a broken slab that appears to have been dropped with no mention of any damage through the entire process...leading me to believe a subordinate dropped it when preparing it and felt it was in his interest to avoid accountability and quietly ship it . just an assumption, but not a giant leap ...still not necessarily malice since there's no way to ascertain the cause of the damage. Still not a deal breaker ..sh*t happens.

- once the event is brought to the attention of a trained and paid rep , it is dismissed with a generic email and a less than professional effort in an order to avoid any real accountability. This decision was a conscious one and not justifiable . It was the one that led me to believe the other issues run parallel with the practices at this company and that they weren't just oversights.

My decision is simple: there was no apparent damage to the book itself... It's not a place I will do business with again...the book was already shipped to CGC for a re-slab and anytime one does business with anyone, there is always the chance that things don't run smoothly. So, calling up and demanding a better resolution is not really worth my time. It's like pulling teeth to get a girlfriend to stay in a relationship when she's not really into it..it's just not worth it outside of softening a bruised ego. My forcing him to make right doesn't assure me the company is run effectively ..it only forces him to vindicate me and value me. I don't need him to as I have already vented and that ship has left the dock brother
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Some books really need qualified grades.

They do note the flaws, in such cases....and if they assign a "Qualified" grade, they make that pretty clear

Don’t entirely agree. If significant flaw they will list the flaw - however - the grade they give is ignoring the flaw (ie CGC qualified grade) without stating so.

FYI - Frank is the main guy in the daily operations - dealt with him quite a few times - and has the authority to make decisions.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600794 65 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?