Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

my rant(as everyone gets a piece of the pie)6107

Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
So..just need to vent because I miss the old days where a comic was worth "x" and you sold it for "x" .

I just dropped 1200 on that Gaines 9.4 EC which took 4 weeks to arrive from Metropolis. Ridiculous all by itself. I paid for the book and the Auction site got it's cut and I paid for shipping.

The book arrives with a chunk of the slab missing from the corner and stress cracks around it. Booked was properly bubble wrapped and the box didn't have a mark on it, so somebody dropped the slab and shipped it anyway. I emailed them and was informed they don't take returns on cracked slabs and CGC slabs always break for no reason but they'll credit me 25.00 on my next purchase. Really?? But you guys dropped it and you guys know it...and you still shipped it because you know you don't take returns and can blame shipping. I feel dirty.

So I just shipped the slab back to CGC for a reslab..15.00 plus 18.00 to ship and 30.00 to insure AND I have to pay to ship back to me ...so now everyone has taken a piece of this book and I have to sell it for 10% more than its worth just to break even (if the book doesn't get destroyed in the month its out and about traveling the world).

It just irritates me ..that's all I have to say about that
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
ugh...that blows...but happens. next time, buy a sweet Planet Comics at a local show. Slab mint, seller mint...everyone happy.
Post 2 IP   flag post
hahahaha! if you know a guy who knows a guy let me know
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
damn man... that's terrible... $1200 and its like "oh sorry..." smh.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
damn man... that's terrible... $1200 and its like "oh sorry..." smh.

Exactly!! What's that company worth ? You know they have insurance for this stuff. It was their mis-step on top of that. But screw the little guy out of nickels and dimes anyway. This is the mentality that irritates the shit out of me.

But now I will never buy from them again and they can keep their 25.00 credit.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
That all being said (and I'm sorry you've had to go through that), what a fantastic book!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
That all being said (and I'm sorry you've had to go through that), what a fantastic book!

Thanks! I'm over it- kind'v ...the child in me needed to vent as it's been one of those weeks. But, I guess if my family's healthy and I'm healthy, it's only a comic book . It's the principle that rubbed me wrong.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
What book is it I might want to buy it raw
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Your story kind of makes me wonder if maybe the seller didn’t get what they thought they should for the book at auction and damaged the slab out of spite. I sure hope not, because that would be really low.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I emailed them and was informed they don't take returns on cracked slabs and CGC slabs always break for no reason but they'll credit me 25.00 on my next purchase. Really??

They need to file an insurance claim for the damage and refund you the cost of the reslab. For a $1200 book that should not even be a question.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
What book is it I might want to buy it raw

Post 11 IP   flag post
At least it is a beautiful book.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Your story kind of makes me wonder if maybe the seller didn’t get what they thought they should for the book at auction and damaged the slab out of spite. I sure hope not, because that would be really low.

I wondered how that works...do they have the seller ship it to them or does the seller ship it directly ?

That would be dirty...and the price was actually 1175 I think so I was certainly happy with it. But someone knew the slab was damaged and didn't care
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I emailed them and was informed they don't take returns on cracked slabs and CGC slabs always break for no reason but they'll credit me 25.00 on my next purchase. Really??

They need to file an insurance claim for the damage and refund you the cost of the reslab. For a $1200 book that should not even be a question.

I agree..and they did "credit" me 25 to cover re-slab and shipping...but I don't want a credit towards another purchase. They recoup their loss in the next purchase so I want to feel they did the right thing regarding this purchase. I would have liked a 25.00 credit to my debit card. Plus, it cost way more than 25.00 to fix AND I shouldn't have to ship it out into the wild for 4-6 wks.
Post 14 IP   flag post
you can't tell me nobody saw this on a 1200.00 book when their entire business is selling slabbed books

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Domogotcomics private msg quote post Address this user
First off beautiful book. Second this was not handled properly to me. I have had ebay sellers with less valuable books perform better customer service than this. I know it will be a long few weeks now and hopefully it makes it back to you they way you envisioned it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
wow😮. Yes that is inexcusable and whether intentional or not Metropolis’ handling of the entire situation is highly questionable. I also don’t understand how it took you four weeks to get the book after paying. Seems like customer service is lacking all the way around here.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks Domo....I know ...and I love your pic btw...must be the Italian in me
Post 18 IP   flag post
This was my passive avoidance response from them....

To be candid, those older CGC cases crack when you so much as look at them – we actually don’t guarantee against cracked cases, believe it or not, because of this (it’s in our return policy). However, I don’t want to leave you stuck, so I’m putting a $25 credit on your account toward your next order, which should cover the $11 reholdering cost and the shipping costs. Hopefully, this will make up for the hassle. Believe me, we used to get them from CGC already cracked from time to time, but luckily the new cases are pretty sturdy and we almost never have an issue with them, so this problem should slowly fade away over time. Again, my apologies for the hassle – feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Frank Cwiklik
Metropolis Collectibles, Inc.
ComicConnect, Corp.

and I paid on 3/23 and received the book yesterday...so...what? 28 days or so?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I got burned by them before on poorly graded raw books (9.4 came back 8.5 type stuff).

Yet I still buy from them since their selection is insane.

Me = glutton for punishment.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I appreciate that they gave me a credit...but if the book was damaged prior to sale there was no mention of it and it would have affected my bid price. That is not a crack from shipping...that is a drop all day long . So somebody just didn't give a damn and Im not a big client ...but what I should have received from them was this: ...hey, we dropped the book, cracked the case and maybe stressed the book in the fall...do you still want it? We can credit you 25.00 if you do or buy it back OR we can send it to CGC from here and cover the cost to re-slab and have them ship it directly to you.

The last option is the right one
Post 21 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If the inner well was compromised you would have plenty of reason to be upset. Re-holdering isn't that big of a deal.

If it had gone via USPS you might have a winnable case but since Metro always ships with Fedex I do not know how a claim would work with them.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
If the inner well was compromised you would have plenty of reason to be upset. Re-holdering isn't that big of a deal.

If it had gone via USPS you might have a winnable case but since Metro always ships with Fedex I do not know how a claim would work with them.

Yeah...good point...but again, the box was in mint condition. I met the guy at the truck to get it. Hard to say shipping caused it especially when it was bubble wrapped to the max.

I know its just a re-holder....and not a big deal...but if I bought a new fridge for the same money and they delivered it damaged ..they come back and get it and give me a new one on their dime. that's proper customer service ..not "here's 80 cents...good luck "
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Disappointing to say the least. From the way the corner is cracked, you probably could not see it on the listing image either if by chance it was already cracked to begin with. If so, that should have been disclosed in the auction listing. Still, either way, if Metropolis wants to be worth their salt, if the slab was cracked before shipping, they should have noticed it and contacted you to see what course of action YOU wanted to take. That's the customer first, most courteous thing to do. They way they handled it, they are putting their interests first and come off arrogant and condescending ($25 store credit, really? What a slap in the face!). I would send them your receipts for all you really had to spend to get this book re-slabbed to show them the $25 is absurdly inadequate and they being in this business should know that. Otherwise, contact a lawyer and see what they have to say about this situation.
Post 24 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have a slightly take on this. But first, let me say that it is a shame you have to go through the extra expense and time to get what should have been an easy (and slightly expensive) purchase. But stuff happens. Thank goodness the book does not seem to have been damaged.

Now here is my take on this mess. I have a lot of CGC cases, old and new. I have moved from one end of Ohio to the other end. I have moved my books upstairs, downstairs and upstairs again and again. Depending on my wife's decorating itches. I have never had a broken or cracked case occur on "my watch". And especially not from looking hard at a case.

ComicConnect should have just said "obviously we dropped the ball. Would you like to return it for a full refund, or we can give you a small credit to compensate for re-holdering and shipping to CGC".

I guess it would cost a bunch of money to send it to CBCS, and they might change the grade. So go with CGC this time. And when you get it back, don't look at your book too hard. You might crack the case.
Post 25 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, and don't throw the shipping box away to prove it could not have possibly been damaged in shipping, thus making them complicit in it's condition before leaving their hands.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Now we all know. And if we all tell 10 collectors.....
Post 27 IP   flag post
lol...@foghorn...everything you said is correct. But this doesn't warrant a lawyer. The book is fine. I'm just amazed that they think its ok to ship a damaged slab without mentioning it. If i bought this for a guy because he couldn't make the auction and had it shipped directly to him, I'd be on the hook and rightfully so.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I've heard so many horror stories about Metropolis over the years (though my personal dealings have all been fine) that nothing would surprise me anymore.

Sorry about having to re-holder the book. That sucks.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher I was wondering if you even saw the broken piece anywhere in the box or wrapping? If not then that really makes sense what you said about wrapping it up that way after the case broke. Sorry if you already mentioned it. Sorry that happened to you.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600783 65 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?