Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I am more interested in the blank covers for Action 1000 than the other variants.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Looks to me like a press can get these to NM. The corner bends do not look like they break color. I've seen spine ticks on 9.6, even 9.8 books. It's the scuffs on the back cover I'm not sure how hard a hit you could take, but if it's a small amount you may be a 9.4.

Either way, that's an expense you incur. Maybe requesting an amount to cover the expense of a press (plus shipping) is sufficient rather than return them.

If the package does not have damage, you have no case with USPS. Plus even if you did you need to estimate the damage. It's not a total loss. Again, cost of pressing and shipment or just loss of value.

Kids, let this be a lesson to all you...don't buy high value books on eBay without see high res photos of the front, back and interior (older comics)...otherwise great asking for disappointment.

And inquire about shipment and insurance! Don't assume because a person describes a comic as near mint or assigns a number grade they know how to protect it from the rough hands of the USPS.

And above all else, stay in school!

Not a good idea, just do the math.

Best case scenario, the books get slabbed at 9.6 with a press.

Slabbed 9.8's are worth about $160.Slabbed 9.6's, about half that much.

Call fast tracked grading and quick pressing at $40+ shipping/invoice fee.

Unless the OP can get a partial refund to the tune of $50 per book (he paid $60 + shipping per book), bringing the OP's cost down to $10 or $15 tops per book, it would not make any sense to have these books pressed and slabbed.

Good luck getting a partial refund of $100 on the pair.. .

Odds are that the seller did not insure the box at $120, it was likely sent via usps priority with the standard $50 of free insurance that priority covers.

Which is a moot point, considering that the box was not damaged.

Either the seller shipped out lesser copies, or his internal packaging was subpar enough to allow the books to fly around the box during shipping, which is very unlikely, if the scuffing on the back covers was not present in the eBay pictures.

The OP noted that the books he received have scuffing on the back cover.

Scuffing is something that happens when excess pressure is applied to books.

It is damn near impossible to have scuffing, spine ticks and corner impact dings, on 2 books that are loosely packed in a box.

The latter 2 defects would be easy enough to incur, but not with the addition of scuffing.

Those 3 defects together, in conjunction with an undamaged shipping BOX, would defy the laws of physics

I think the seller is fishing for the buyer to ask the seller for a partial refund....which eBay could possibly view as manipulation of the eBay Return Process.

If this is true, eBay would be more likely to decide in the seller's favor.

The only viable solution I see is to return the books thru eBay return process i.e. open an "item recieved not as described" case.

The books are clearly not as described/pictured.

The OP will get a full refund of original shipping , BIN/auction price and the seller (or eBay but more likely the seller) will eat the cost of the usps priority return shipping label. The OP will walk away with nothing lost, other than his time.

This is why buyers of raw books should only buy from sellers who stand behind their grading & packaging.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@JustThatGuy Based on the length of your story you seem to be a bit irked or upset about this situation. My advice, gotta learn to just let this stuff roll off you. As a buyer you are 99.99999% guaranteed to get any return request approved and all your money refunded (including shipping). So why even argue with this guy. Stop responding to him, let the return request do its magic and then send them back.

On a side note this is a new scam that sellers are doing. They intentionally send you damaged books and buy a lot of USPS insurance coverage. USPS basically approves insurance claims these days with little or no investigation. So they are actually making a bigger profit by having you complain and then filing a case on your behalf.

I've filed 3 legitimate cases this year (for the full value of the insurance) and all three were approved 2 days later got a check in the mail 5 days later.

If you decide to keep this item, you should file the USPS insurance claim ASAP. Whomever files it first gets the pay out.

This x100.

I would also report the seller to eBay, noting the blatant insurance scam the seller is fishing for, after the full refund is received.

Ebay will investigate the sellers' return history, if the buyer reports the seller.

if he has done this a couple times, he may get booted off eBay.

This would be a big win-win, less scammed on eBay, the better for the comic market as a whole.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Comics aren't made in a mint, so "NM" would not mean much to me if I was eBay or an insurance company.

I bought a comic described as high grade and it looked like a reading copy that had been sitting on a truck stop bathroom floor for a week. Water damage, stained etc. I think you got lucky. People on eBay are not professional graders and there is no stipulation that they have to go by Overstreet's standards or that of a professional grading company.

I think it needs to be chalked up to a lesson learned. This is why I rarely buy online. You can't trust that the seller graded it well. You can't trust the shipping company. It's a crap shoot. I'm sure the seller felt that he was using due diligence to describe it well and get you the comic you thought you were buying.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Comics aren't made in a mint, so "NM" would not mean much to me if I was eBay or an insurance company.

I bought a comic described as high grade and it looked like a reading copy that had been sitting on a truck stop bathroom floor for a week. Water damage, stained etc. I think you got lucky. People on eBay are not professional graders and there is no stipulation that they have to go by Overstreet's standards or that of a professional grading company.

I think it needs to be chalked up to a lesson learned. This is why I rarely buy online. You can't trust that the seller graded it well. You can't trust the shipping company. It's a crap shoot. I'm sure the seller felt that he was using due diligence to describe it well and get you the comic you thought you were buying.

Huh?

From everything I have read and seen hete, it looks like the seller shipped put 2 under copies.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
talk about odd...the notification for this new thread - came to my email with the following timestamp on it.....no shite!....

"Saturday, April 18, 2201 3:03pm"

Weird that I am receiving emails from so far into the future.

Steve/Jesse - comments? Thoughts?

Am I special or what?!?!?!

:o)
Post 31 IP   flag post
601359 31 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?