Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Spielberg Blackhawks, woe6093

Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
I thought my points were clear?

I'm simply arguing:

Military Comics #1 came first and set the foundation for the rest of the run. Without this book the rest would not come about.

Military Comics #1 is scarcer (half the census numbers than Blackhawk #133). The law of supply and demand plays an issue...and it's a Golden Age book that was produced during WWII (18 years before Blackhawk #133)

As far as Lady Blackhawk being more popular is a very good point and carries weight for sure. As for my personal bias, I like Blackhawk's character more than Lady Blackhawk...but that's just me.

We can respectfully disagree and only time will show which book gets a higher multiple
SlY
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Even if Lady Blackhawk is not in the movie, the price jump will mostly stay imo. Although the name will inevitably be updated if Spielberg keeps the character.
That Blackhawk broad, chick, babe?
Shehawk? Lieutenant Hot-lips?
I doubt Chop-Chop will make it in.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Let me plead complete ignorance here. I'm not a fan of war comics for the most part. I remember liking a few Sgt. Rock stories as a kid and it was neat seeing Sgt. Fury in a war comic because I knew he later became the head of SHIELD. Other than that, isn't Blackhawk just another war comic? I ask myself what the general public is going to think about a Blackhawk movie. If it's just another action/adventure story based in a war setting, how is that going to appeal to the large masses of potential movie viewers? I don't see a motivation for women to see it. Are there large numbers of non-Caucasian white males that are going to be on the edge of their seats to see a war movie based upon a fictional comic book character? I'm just not mentally picturing this as a hit movie. Comic speculators will drive the price up before the movie comes out, but all I can picture in my head is that this will be an over-budgeted flop. Again though, I'm looking at demographics. Superheroes have exciting visuals and it has people doing more than just shooting guns or driving tanks. Is there something I'm missing because I've had no inclination to read any of the comics. I had no interest in seeing Ready Player One and a Blackhawk movie interests me even less. Spielberg's name alone is not an instant draw for me. Unless there was an amazing trailer, I can't see myself even going to see a Blackhawk movie.

Can someone tell me why they like the character and why they think it would be better than any other war movie that's ever been released?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
@Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Let me plead complete ignorance here. I'm not a fan of war comics for the most part. I remember liking a few Sgt. Rock stories as a kid and it was neat seeing Sgt. Fury in a war comic because I knew he later became the head of SHIELD. Other than that, isn't Blackhawk just another war comic? I ask myself what the general public is going to think about a Blackhawk movie. If it's just another action/adventure story based in a war setting, how is that going to appeal to the large masses of potential movie viewers? I don't see a motivation for women to see it. Are there large numbers of non-Caucasian white males that are going to be on the edge of their seats to see a war movie based upon a fictional comic book character? I'm just not mentally picturing this as a hit movie. Comic speculators will drive the price up before the movie comes out, but all I can picture in my head is that this will be an over-budgeted flop. Again though, I'm looking at demographics. Superheroes have exciting visuals and it has people doing more than just shooting guns or driving tanks. Is there something I'm missing because I've had no inclination to read any of the comics. I had no interest in seeing Ready Player One and a Blackhawk movie interests me even less. Spielberg's name alone is not an instant draw for me. Unless there was an amazing trailer, I can't see myself even going to see a Blackhawk movie.

Can someone tell me why they like the character and why they think it would be better than any other war movie that's ever been released?

Blackhawk was a pretty novel concept for a war book i.e. they were not a typical outfit like Sgt. Rock and his crew.

Blackhawk were essentially mercenaries so the plot could have several different angles.

That said, I fan's think anyone has suggested it will be better than any war movie ever made.

Personally, I love WW I and WW II period war movies. Fury is a great example of what a good director, with a good cast and script, can accomplish with a war movie.

Same goes for Saving Private Ryan.

WRT, your first (bolded) question, I will go with popular/cultural shifts ,refer to my notes on girl power above above over my own opinion, or any one's personal opinion of Lady Blackhawk.

Personally, I like the idea/character of Lady Blackhawk.

I view her as a broad with moxy, who is easy on the eyes, while she goes about kicking Nazi's asses.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Blackhawks had Chop-Chop, a not so borderline racist depiction of their Chinese cook. They duplicate him, I gotta watch.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone is crazy for Lady Blackhawk but this book takes the cake for me. I bought it when I was after GA robot covers.

-Ultra low census.
-Robot cover.
-Lady in red/damsel in distress.
-Corpse.

Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Everyone is crazy for Lady Blackhawk but this book takes the cake for me. I bought it when I was after GA robot covers.

-Ultra low census.
-Robot cover.
-Lady in red/damsel in distress.
-Corpse.

I have that on the wall of my bedroom. My all time favorite Blackhawk cover!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Definitely a sweet cover, even the robot looks kinda zombie-ish.

My guess is that is a Reed Crandall, an under rated artist in my book.

Louis Fine also did some awesome covers for earlier Quality books, I'd recommend checking him out if you were unaware.His Uncle Sam covers are just nuts, can't remember any Military or Blackhawk covers he may have done.

As far as the bit about this book having a low census population, that is true of most Blackhawk books. It's a bit of a jump to infer conclusions about rarity based on the CGC census.
Post 33 IP   flag post
As far as the bit about this book having a low census population, that is true of most Blackhawk books. It's a bit of a jump to infer conclusions about rarity based on the CGC census.

On that note, here is a Laugh #88 that I sold on eBay last week.

GGA/risqué cover with 0 copies in the census....had to drop the price to $30, to move it.

Low census,schmo sxhmenxus.😉😂

I probably could have gotten the $75 BIN I originally had on it, 1 month back, had I sat on it longer.

I found zero copies for sale via google, past or present.

I listed it with a 2.5 guaranteed universal grade from cbcs/cgc.

Still, only squeaked a whopping $30 out of it.I pulled it out of either a $1 or a $2 box, but still....I spent about an hour dry cleaning every millimeter of the front and back cover.

Oh well, the buyer gave me a positive feedback so at least he's happy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/202287301451

Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
@X51

Legitimate questions. I myself have never been a huge fan of war movies, but it depends on the movie. Think Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, the extremely disturbing Casualties of War, and even the comedy MASH.

An analogy could be Westerns. How many hundreds of western themed tv shows and movies are out there? Then in the early 90s came the movie 'Unforgiven'. Similar mixture of plots from previous westerns but so well written, filmed, great character development, and excellent acting made it a huge hit. Not really comic book related, but Blackhawk definitely would be.

In another thread was discussion of a ROM and Booster Gold movies. Yep their comic books will spike but I wonder about character saturation. My question is a bit premature because a lot depends on the movies quality and reception by the public. Think of the sheer and growing number of characters out there: The big 3 (Batty, Spidey, Supey), the next tier Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Wonder woman, FF, Avengers, X-Men, Spawn, etc etc etc etc. And newly adopted Gotg, Harley Quinn, deadpool, Thanos, etc. Is there room for more? I'd say the Universe is still expanding but longevity depends on the quality of the movie.
Post 35 IP   flag post
601275 35 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?