Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Spielberg Blackhawks, woe6093

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, who saw this coming
https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2018/film/news/steven-spielberg-blackhawk-dc-1202756319/amp/
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
So this will be worth millions!?

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Nah, Blackhawk 133 will be the biggie.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Whoa.

I don't think I have any. Woe +1
Post 4 IP   flag post
*wow @MR_SigS ha. Couldn't figure how to edit a post title
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Do not google voice search Blackhawk. You may (or may not?) be disappointed.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Been trying for a 133 for awhile but seemed to pricey. Now I will own one never most likely
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Been trying for a 133 for awhile but seemed to pricey. Now I will own one never most likely

Sorry, but you missed the boat on this book.

Raws of 133 have been going off pretty cheaply in auctions, over the past year.

Hell,a CGC 6.5 sold in auction a few months back, it went off for a ridiculously low $430....A few months after a CGC 7.5 had sold for $1800 via BIN.

That BIN was hit overnight or within a day or so of it being listed, I remember thinking that it was priced to move when I saw it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
It will be interesting to see which era they pick for a Blackhawk movie. This could be a WW II movie. It could be set in the 1950's and 1960's Cold War movie. They could even make it a current time movie.

And Blackhawk could be spun a lot of different ways. At it's core, it has a fairly interesting and thought provoking premise. A group of well armed, independent of any government or agency soldiers. They respected no geographic or political boundaries, they were accountable to no government. They fly in - kick ass - and leave.

They could play this like the original Mission Impossible, like the more current Expendables - or lots of places in-between. I lean towards an independent, soldiers of fortune do the job other's can't approach.

Should be interesting.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
It will be interesting to see which era they pick for a Blackhawk movie. This could be a WW II movie. It could be set in the 1950's and 1960's Cold War movie. They could even make it a current time movie.

And Blackhawk could be spun a lot of different ways. At it's core, it has a fairly interesting and thought provoking premise. A group of well armed, independent of any government or agency soldiers. They respected no geographic or political boundaries, they were accountable to no government. They fly in - kick ass - and leave.

They could play this like the original Mission Impossible, like the more current Expendables - or lots of places in-between. I lean towards an independent, soldiers of fortune do the job other's can't approach.

Should be interesting.

Yup.

I'd prefer the Blackhawks to be set in the WW II era, though a bit of reading just turned this tidbit about a Blackhawk movie shaking out to be somewhat of a Wonder Woman sequel with the Blackhawks at center stage.

https://screenrant.com/spielberg-blackhawk-movie-dceu-wonder-woman/2/

The script does not appear to have even started yet, we will have plenty of time to wonder.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The connections have been there...

Post 11 IP   flag post
All of the raw and slabbed copies listed on eBay of Blackhawk 133 have sold, except a lone auction... .looks like a 4.0-5.0, maybe a 5.5-6.0 with a press.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/392019310572

I'm curious to see where this auction ends up at, my guess is around $400-$600.

Which would still be a bargain buy in price at $600, IMHO.

I am going to list my poor/fair to fair copy at $149.99 BIN + shipping tonight.

If Lady Blackhawk is used in both Birds Of Prey and the Blackhawk movie, or even just one of them and she is well received. ...I think Blackhawk 133 will have roughly the same FMV as Action 252, within a year and change.

Another book I think is a goodie, but is not going to rival Blackhawk 133 in long term value is this book....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382435850775
Post 12 IP   flag post
This is a big reason as to why I think Blackhawk #133 is going to become much stronger, and fully recognized as a legitimate SA DC key.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/harley-quinn-has-taught-dc-how-compete-marvel-studios-1103483

In short, girl power.

With Wonder Woman being the only DC movie to perform as well (or better) than expected at the box office, DC is taking the hint from that, and from the cultural clue of Black Panthers' success by having a female driven movie with a female writer & female director on Birds Of Prey, much like Wonder Woman.

It only makes sense, adding in this is all coming off the heels of the #metoo "movement", this is the strategy that seems likely to bring DC Films to more competitive ground with Marvel Films.

I also think it was no mistake that Birds Of Prey and Blackhawk were announced as DC films, on the same day.

Here is more on that note.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/dc/amp/2018/04/17/dc-films-movies-birds-of-prey-lady-blackhawk-steven-spielberg-bl/

DC has nothing to lose and much to gain;Spielberg has been interested in making a Blackhawk movie since 1982.

With Spielberg's distinct love for the WW II period, tying the BOP movie into the Blackhawk movie...This would be enough to make me want to see these movies, and that is saying a lot.

Blackhawk 133 is looking stronger and stronger, the more that I read and think about all of this, over the long term.

The Blackhawk movie is probably a good 5+ years away from even shooting, let alone being released in theaters.

Methinks this will give Blackhawk 133 plenty of time for perculation, so to speak.

Maybe "gestation" is a better word.☺
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector sly private msg quote post Address this user
The number one book to buy is clearly their first appearance: MILITARY COMICS #1. It's more expensive but people always want the first appearance !
Post 14 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke add "military men 1" to that Google warning you gave
Post 15 IP   flag post
I was laughing at my brother just last year because he was the only one I knew that collected Blackhawks, and Military with Blackhawk. “The definition of almost worthless “ I opined. He showed me his 133, which like all of his are ungraded, somewhere in the 9’s. Of course I have been too dumb to pull the trigger on a 133 since then. Used to be cheap to get the commons, as there are very few considered keys at all. Maybe all but a couple will stay cheap. Already seen more on EBay.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
The number one book to buy is clearly their first appearance: MILITARY COMICS #1. It's more expensive but people always want the first appearance !

I disagree.

For starters, Military #1 is not the first appearance of all of the Blackhawks. You are leaving Blackhawk 133 out of the picture, with that assessment.

Military #1 will certainly increase in FMV, but not exponentially so.

The FMV of Military 1 is not low to begin with.Especially in relation to Blackhawk 133.

What chiefly drives the market ,for the most part, is cultural significance and its' relationship with pop culture.

With the cultural significance of Blackhawk 133 being the introduction of the first female Blackhawk , and with the relatively LOW FMV of Blackhawk 133 to begin with, Blackhawk 133 will experience tue largest percentage increase in FMV.

Girl characters have been in high demand since the mid 1990's, Batman 181 is an example. Now, we are coming off the heels of the #metoo movement, the cultural significance of a book like Blackhawk #133 blows Military #1 out of the water.

There are many less copies of Blackhawk 133 around, than Batman 181...especially in high grade as mid 50's DC's are notorious for low paper quality and weak spines.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

Sorry, but you missed the boat on this book.

Raws of 133 have been going off pretty cheaply in auctions, over the past year.

Hell,a CGC 6.5 sold in auction a few months back, it went off for a ridiculously low $430.....

Ridiculously low...?

That book was $1 or two for over 50 years. It may have been a deal relative to other sales, but...

In other news, I'm now rich.

One of the very, very few 50's DC series you could pick up often for less than $5/copy. Just picked up a #108. Yay.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Yes, ridiculously low.

About 2 years back, I sold a CBCS 3.5 for a few dollars shy of $600, shipped. *

Previous to that sale, a CBCS 3.0 sold for $600 IIRC.

That was around the time when L.B. was rumored to be in a Birds Of Prey movie.

The book lost a lot of its' steam since than, as Birds Of Prey had been replaced by Gotham City Sirens in DC Films' roster.

Now that Birds Of Prey is back on track, and a Blackhawk movie has been announced, all of the Blackhawk 13th got their BIN's hit within a day of the BOP & Blackhawk film announcement.

Just checked eBay under a Blackhawk 133 search....and the CBCS 3.5 that I sold for a few bucks shy of $600 via an eBay BIN,popped up. Now in the possession of someone other than the person whom I shipped it to, and listed lower than what I sold it for.Looks like the buyer traded it to a local dealer.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Blackhawk-133-CBCS-3-5/323215977613?hash=item4b412c6c8d:g:kZUAAOSwAINa2Kw-
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
You and I have different definitions of what "ridiculously low" means.

lol
Post 20 IP   flag post
Military Comics #1 started the whole thing in 1941 and tough to find unless you go surfing the auction houses. Blackhawk #133 (1959) is also a very important and tough book. Both books are great investments if the movie has legs. But, if I had the choice I would pick the book that started it all: Military Comics #1....and it's a golden age book! And discussing how many of each book is on the census:

Military Comics #1 : 23 on the census
Blackhawk #133: 46 on census
Post 21 IP   flag post
Right.

There are certainly less copies of Military #1 out there.

But scarcity and demand are often exclusive of one another.

You are overlooking the more culturally significant factor in your summation of the 2 books

You are also overlooking the fact that Military 1 is already a pretty big ticket book.

Blackhawk 133 OTOH, has waaaaay more room to grow.

In terms of ROI, Blackhawk 133 will realize the bigger gain in FMV of the two, by far.

IOW, you're overlooking the forest for the trees.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Most recent sale of a Military 1 is a 6.5, from 2017.

The same slab sold twice last year.First at $1750 than at $3000.

First sale was probably an auction, second likely a BIN sale....pretty dumb to sell a lower demand GA key in auction format but whatever.

So Military 1 still has room to grow, but as it does not contain the most popular Blackhawk character's first appearance, I do not think it will have the demand that BH 133 will have.

(2) $3,000Hi $1,750Lo
Jun-30-2017 $3,000 Cert# 1256180001
Feb-02-2017 $1,750 Cert# 1256180001

(1) $1,849Hi
Post 23 IP   flag post
Please look at Heritage Auctions , you will see the most recent sale for Military Comics #1 was this month.
A CGC 5.0 sold for $2200 just days ago.
Another sale took place on ComicLink days ago as well for a raw 5.0 (looks like a lower grade to me) for $2300.
Also, look at the bids taking place on Heritage at this very moment ....a CBCS copy (3.5)(Make offer to Owner) is at $1800.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Okay, so I missed a sale.

None of the figures you brought up addresses my points as to the actual topic; Blackhawk #133 vs. Military #1.

If you can't support your position, it is what it is.But at least, try to do so.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I thought my points were clear?

I'm simply arguing:

Military Comics #1 came first and set the foundation for the rest of the run. Without this book the rest would not come about.

Military Comics #1 is scarcer (half the census numbers than Blackhawk #133). The law of supply and demand plays an issue...and it's a Golden Age book that was produced during WWII (18 years before Blackhawk #133)

As far as Lady Blackhawk being more popular is a very good point and carries weight for sure. As for my personal bias, I like Blackhawk's character more than Lady Blackhawk...but that's just me.

We can respectfully disagree and only time will show which book gets a higher multiple
SlY
Post 26 IP   flag post
Even if Lady Blackhawk is not in the movie, the price jump will mostly stay imo. Although the name will inevitably be updated if Spielberg keeps the character.
That Blackhawk broad, chick, babe?
Shehawk? Lieutenant Hot-lips?
I doubt Chop-Chop will make it in.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Let me plead complete ignorance here. I'm not a fan of war comics for the most part. I remember liking a few Sgt. Rock stories as a kid and it was neat seeing Sgt. Fury in a war comic because I knew he later became the head of SHIELD. Other than that, isn't Blackhawk just another war comic? I ask myself what the general public is going to think about a Blackhawk movie. If it's just another action/adventure story based in a war setting, how is that going to appeal to the large masses of potential movie viewers? I don't see a motivation for women to see it. Are there large numbers of non-Caucasian white males that are going to be on the edge of their seats to see a war movie based upon a fictional comic book character? I'm just not mentally picturing this as a hit movie. Comic speculators will drive the price up before the movie comes out, but all I can picture in my head is that this will be an over-budgeted flop. Again though, I'm looking at demographics. Superheroes have exciting visuals and it has people doing more than just shooting guns or driving tanks. Is there something I'm missing because I've had no inclination to read any of the comics. I had no interest in seeing Ready Player One and a Blackhawk movie interests me even less. Spielberg's name alone is not an instant draw for me. Unless there was an amazing trailer, I can't see myself even going to see a Blackhawk movie.

Can someone tell me why they like the character and why they think it would be better than any other war movie that's ever been released?
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Let me plead complete ignorance here. I'm not a fan of war comics for the most part. I remember liking a few Sgt. Rock stories as a kid and it was neat seeing Sgt. Fury in a war comic because I knew he later became the head of SHIELD. Other than that, isn't Blackhawk just another war comic? I ask myself what the general public is going to think about a Blackhawk movie. If it's just another action/adventure story based in a war setting, how is that going to appeal to the large masses of potential movie viewers? I don't see a motivation for women to see it. Are there large numbers of non-Caucasian white males that are going to be on the edge of their seats to see a war movie based upon a fictional comic book character? I'm just not mentally picturing this as a hit movie. Comic speculators will drive the price up before the movie comes out, but all I can picture in my head is that this will be an over-budgeted flop. Again though, I'm looking at demographics. Superheroes have exciting visuals and it has people doing more than just shooting guns or driving tanks. Is there something I'm missing because I've had no inclination to read any of the comics. I had no interest in seeing Ready Player One and a Blackhawk movie interests me even less. Spielberg's name alone is not an instant draw for me. Unless there was an amazing trailer, I can't see myself even going to see a Blackhawk movie.

Can someone tell me why they like the character and why they think it would be better than any other war movie that's ever been released?

Blackhawk was a pretty novel concept for a war book i.e. they were not a typical outfit like Sgt. Rock and his crew.

Blackhawk were essentially mercenaries so the plot could have several different angles.

That said, I fan's think anyone has suggested it will be better than any war movie ever made.

Personally, I love WW I and WW II period war movies. Fury is a great example of what a good director, with a good cast and script, can accomplish with a war movie.

Same goes for Saving Private Ryan.

WRT, your first (bolded) question, I will go with popular/cultural shifts ,refer to my notes on girl power above above over my own opinion, or any one's personal opinion of Lady Blackhawk.

Personally, I like the idea/character of Lady Blackhawk.

I view her as a broad with moxy, who is easy on the eyes, while she goes about kicking Nazi's asses.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Blackhawks had Chop-Chop, a not so borderline racist depiction of their Chinese cook. They duplicate him, I gotta watch.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597984 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?