Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector kclaw97 private msg quote post Address this user
I picked up this copy of Hulk 102 about two weeks ago and need some advice on getting the 2.50 in pencil removed from the back. This book is for my pc so it won't be going anywhere barring any unforeseen circumstances. Should I just submit for a full blown press/cleaning or simply just slab and enjoy it?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
That is a good deal for $2.50. I tend to see such things as the history of the book, and especially since it is on the back, not worth the cost of the removal. A caveat; I never submit a book without getting it pressed, I see it as well worth the higher grade you likely get. I also have never tried cleaning, beyond prying dried boogers from the covers. I am sure some here have.
Looks like a 6.5 to 7 right now from what I can see
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It brings back memories of the first comic shows I attended.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
*dream bubble appear above head*

Aaaahh...one day I'll own that book in that...or even better condition. One day, Tim...one day...hmmmmmm...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I wouldn't mess with it. It's not going to drastically affect the grade and if you try removing it could possibly rub off part of the gloss.

Don't think of it as a defect, think of it as adding character to the book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@kclaw97

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97
I picked up this copy of Hulk 102 about two weeks ago and need some advice on getting the 2.50 in pencil removed from the back. This book is for my pc so it won't be going anywhere barring any unforeseen circumstances. Should I just submit for a full blown press/cleaning or simply just slab and enjoy it?

If it’s just for your pc, you could also not slab it and enjoy it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It's pencil? That will easily come off.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
d6.5 - 7.0?? Are you CRAZY it's clean and sharp only thing seen in the picture is the top left corner. This is NO WAY a mid-grade from the pictures. Pressing hasn't done anything for me. I have had books sent in and graded then later sent in for pressing and didn't change the grade at all.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclaw97

Have it dry cleaned and pressed, than slabbed.

Probably an 8.0/8.5 as is. It will grade out between an 8.5 to 9.2, if cleaned and pressed.

Do not attempt to dry clean the pencil off of the back cover yourself. There is light surface dirt on the entire back cover, you can't just "erase" a corner of a book without tending to the rest of the back cover. *

Books need to be pressed after being dry cleaned, for multiple reasons.

Chiefly being to press out any slight spine roll/ticks/curled/bent edges (which this book certainly has, like 100% of all silver age raw books have in varying degrees).

Pressing will greatly improve the integrity of the spine.

The $2.50 in pencil will have an indentation left after being dry cleaned e.g. after the pencil is removed, even if you are successful in doing so without removing gloss and/or damaging the book by not supporting the spine and edges while cleaning, a "$2.50" indentation marking will still be visible after the pencil itself is removed.

That area needs to be spot pressed, than whole book pressing needs to be done.

* It will also look weird and unsightly , as the rest of the back cover will look dirty in contrast to the small $2.50 dry cleaned corner area, if you attempt a dry clean DIY.

Unless you want to spend a minimum of a year researching archival paper journals along with learning how to dry clean, humidity and press comics...If you are a quick learner, that is how long it takes to get a decent grasp on paper mechanics....than let a professional do the work.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
9.2 allows a corner crease like this? Though it's a nice copy, I think I'd rather keep it raw, but I say that only because I wouldn't pay for a graded 9.2 with a crease that big and noticeable.

Personally I'd leave it alone.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
9.2 allows a corner crease like this? Though it's a nice copy, I think I'd rather keep it raw, but I say that only because I wouldn't pay for a graded 9.2 with a crease that big and noticeable.

Personally I'd leave it alone.

9.2 was a best case scenario, after pressing.

The corner crease is big but OTOH it barely breaks color.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The pencil can easily be removed without affecting the gloss of the paper.
Doubt it will get better than 8.0 due to the crease on the top right edge FC AND what looks like a crease next to “Big Premiere Issue”.

A dry clean and press will marginally help this book present better. Hope I am wrong about the second crease as the book has very deep colors, and looks worlds better than the technical grade it will receive.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Let us know what you get! Hope I am wrong but Grading is a funny game
Post 13 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
The pencil can be removed without affecting the gloss. Whether or not the impression completely comes out really cannot be determined from a picture. The impression is just as much an issue as far as grading as the price in pencil. But most important there is little reason to remove the pencil mark on this book.

I spoke with Steve B about this a year or two ago. The price written neatly in pencil on the back cover will have little affect on the assigned grade. No affect really until you get to the NM range grades.

Whether you have it pressed or not, leave the penciled in price be. Sent to CBCS it will not affect the grade of this book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Pencil indentations are easily removed as well.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
7.5 maybe 8.0 and is that bottom staple rusted..hard to tell . But you've got rounded corners with blunting and breaks top left...you've got that massive color break crease top right and you have another color break on the finger bend top middle front edge.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
What stands out the most to me is the good wrap/centering. I can't tell you how many times I've passed on books where only the right half of the 'M' in Marvel is showing, or there's 1/4" of white at the bottom of the spine and narrows to 1/16" at the top.
IOW - This book looks pretty.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Pencil indentations are easily removed as well.

Not all pencil indentations are the same. How sharp was the pencil? How hard pressed down when writing? It's easy for the paper fibers to get damaged, especially if the pencil was sharp.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I would answer that - but we are not allowed to talk about technique here.
Post 19 IP   flag post
You can't repair damaged paper with a press. What I am saying is that MOST pencil indents can be removed. But if the pencil was sharp, if too much pressure was applied with said sharp pencil, the paper gets damaged.

If a sharp pencil writes a price on the back cover - when you clean and press it - if the paper is damaged you still have a defect. PROBABLY an uglier defect that has more of an affect on grade than the price written in pencil defect you started out with.

Below the NM grades, prices in pencil don't have much if any affect on grade. Since most agree that the Hulk 102 in question isn't a NM range book, the math adds up to just leaving it alone.
Post 20 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
You can't repair damaged paper with a press. What I am saying is that MOST pencil indents can be removed. But if the pencil was sharp, if too much pressure was applied with said sharp pencil, the paper gets damaged.

If a sharp pencil writes a price on the back cover - when you clean and press it - if the paper is damaged you still have a defect. PROBABLY an uglier defect that has more of an affect on grade than the price written in pencil defect you started out with.

Below the NM grades, prices in pencil don't have much if any affect on grade. Since most agree that the Hulk 102 in question isn't a NM range book, the math adds up to just leaving it alone.

True Tony, but the damage can always be minimized. Even hard creases in white areas can be improved while leaving remnants where the bonds of the paper fibers were damaged.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
You can't repair damaged paper with a press.

That's true. You have to use other tools in the toolbox.

Before.

After. (But before press).

Again, not discussing technique or methods.
Post 22 IP   flag post
If you can press it out, it didn't damage the paper. Hand pressing and spot pressing are part of any professional's skill set.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Perhaps.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

True Tony, but the damage can always be minimized. Even hard creases in white areas can be improved while leaving remnants where the bonds of the paper fibers were damaged.

We are in complete agreement. My point is that in the case of penciled in prices the penciled in price has almost no affect on the grade unless the book is NM range. "remnants where the bonds of the paper fibers were damaged" may well be treated as a bigger defect than the price written in pencil.

Therefore...most of the time it's best to leave such alone. Sometimes doing nothing is the best idea.
Post 25 IP   flag post
601194 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?