CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Grading help/should I press6070

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
No problem!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure why its hard to believe some "other employee" being capable of caution and care. Being a grader makes them deslabbing experts?

Personally I'd like the folks who grade my valuables to be focussed on the grading.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Oops, already addressed.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Not sure why its hard to believe some "other employee" being capable of caution and care. Being a grader makes them deslabbing experts?

I would just feel better if the graders were the actual ones removing the comics from the slabs. The "other employees" get complacent with their duty roles. Ex: Post Office Employees, first week or two on the job, they make sure packages are handled nice and easy, careful not to drop etc. A month later, "Is there anything else sir?" - as he slaps the address sticker on your package and tosses it in the bin behind him. - This sort of thing.

But this is just my opinion... I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or see it my way. Just my thoughts.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
...with the creasing and blunting I'd say it's a 9.4 tops(but probably less-9.0/9.2), even with a press. Multiple stress lines that break color, on a modern, isn't a recipe for high grading. IMO

Good luck!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:

I would just feel better if the graders were the actual ones removing the comics from the slabs. The "other employees" get complacent with their duty roles. Ex: Post Office Employees, first week or two on the job, they make sure packages are handled nice and easy, careful not to drop etc. A month later, "Is there anything else sir?" - as he slaps the address sticker on your package and tosses it in the bin behind him. - This sort of thing.

I understand that concern. I guess what I'm saying is, being a grader doesn't automatically make that person the best at removing a comic from the slab.
ANYONE can become complacent in their job.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
When someone asks a question like this they have usually already made up their mind and are just asking for justification for a decision.

Are you trying to make a great financial killing ( which, believe me you won't )? Or would you just rather have the comic as it is?

If were me I would just leave it as it is.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
@Redshade ha, so judgy sounding.

The main reason I posted is because until a month ago I didn't even know pressing was a thing, so if it might help improve the condition I've had since I got it when I was 12 in 88, I figure why not. The financial windfall comes much later.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

But this is just my opinion... I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or see it my way. Just my thoughts.

That could be also said of graders who grow bored of their work. The CBCS crew is made of professionals so don't start saying that temps are handling comics at CBCS please because at no point did I say that.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

TAT's are bad enough as it is. Why on earth would Professional graders have time to do the menial task's that could basically be done by a trained monkey? Maybe they can clean the bathrooms in between grading books too.

Cracking these slabs is not rocket science.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think I want them cleaning bathrooms...what if they don't wash their hands?!

Don't need a grade hit for "unknown residue on cover."
Post 36 IP   flag post
I'm all seriousness, the defects listed I doubt you'll get a grade bump more than 0.2....and since you sent it to cbcs there's a probable chance it will not grade higher even with the press.

So before submitting for a grade bump you need to be willing to accept no more than one bump. And expect no more. Make your decision on that. Any more is a bonus. Also, consider getting it signed too, as that would require breaking the slab anyway.

For this situation, regardless of the outcome at least you'll have a nice looking comic in a cbcs slab (I.e. Crystal clear, without newton rings). So it's likely a win just for that.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Not worth it imo I'm telling you CBCS grades TIOGHT so you could even take a grade loss brah
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Not worth it imo

If the goal is reaale, totally agree. If it's for the PC, maybe just to have a better case.

I have only one comic I'm considering cracking just for a grade bump, and that's a 9.4 where the only defect listed is General
Waviness throughout book. I can see no other defects. I think I can get 9.8, but even a 9.6 might be a $50-$100 price bump.

Any others I'm cracking for signatures.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
where the only defect listed is General
Waviness throughout book

Now that is something with pressable defects for sure.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Someone told OP that with CBCS pressing TAT is probably 6 months unless he FP?
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
9.4 is not ever going to happen with that book.

The spine ticks and other unpressable defects* will prevent the book from grading above a 9.2 with a CPR.

Considering the cost of a CPR, may as well just leave it as is.

If you ever want to sell it, list it as "UNPRESSED"; at around the GPA high for its currently slabbed grade.

https://e3effa51eee72fd900e3-2fb779bd12ec72d4612275342f2c9187.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/b4e92dc94e87dd51a0b32a4e0432bf91.jpg

If the white mark in this pic at the top of the back cover's spine is actually present on the book and is not a camera flash, 9.2 is the best you can hope for.

If not, you can realistically hope for a 9.4.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids called it. Shipped today, I fast passed, because I'm impatient. Got a grade bump from 9.0-9.4. My first pressing experience has been worth it!
Post 43 IP   flag post
601250 43 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?