Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Grading help/should I press6070

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I have an amazing spiderman 300 tbat graded 9.0 a few years ago at cgc. I always felt it should of been higher. The pages were white and i really didnt see many issues on exterior. But who knows? Anyway i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if this is worth popping out, pressing and regrading? I kept getting a glare and reflection on photos. So i don't know if you guys can help or not. But if so, its appreciated.also, it looks like theres dust inside?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see any creases that break color what do the graders notes say? It looks like a good pressing candidate.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@SpiderTim I never received any notes, I feel like it was an extra cost? I'm not always the brightest crayon in the box though, is there a way to find them at cbc? It's the only book I ever sent there, and it was 3 years ago?
It took like 3 months to get back and I was irritated at grade so i never sent again. 🤣
Post 3 IP   flag post
If its a CBCS slab you get graders notes for free if its a CGC you probably have to pay for them unless you have an account and you submitted under it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see why that book is a 9.0, but I've gotten a couple books like that. My advice is pay for the grader's note (SUCKS, BUT THAT'S WHY I DON'T USE CGC ANYMORE) and then decide if it's worth the press/resubmit.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@D84 yeah, I used cgc once, didn't pay extra for notes, now my comic is a mystery. Does anyone know if I can pay for notes years later?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
enter the number above the barcode on their website homepage
another page will appear indicating if notes are available and the price
in my experience, the notes don't tell you much
ymmv
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Check for fingerprints on the back cover. That is likely the problem.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
@D84 yeah, I used cgc once, didn't pay extra for notes, now my comic is a mystery. Does anyone know if I can pay for notes years later?

As much as I hate to bring up CGC (they suck) here is the web-page to verify the certification code and then order the graders notes after you put in the code.
https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you @GanaSoth So I just got notes, and they said lite spine, breaks color, which I don't really see, and back cover bend. I'm posting them, so I think I'll roll the dice on a press and regrade. No fingerprints @kaptainmyke
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Enelson Only thing I can see by the pics you gave us are the following spine color breaks. Other than that, it should have gotten a 9.4 at the least IMO (even with the indents and bends taken into consideration). BUT if your getting it pressed, it should get 9.6 easily I believe.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
About $100 increase in FMV from 9.0 to 9.4. I'd take the gamble and have it pressed/re-graded.

Pressing should take care of those front cover indents and bend on the back cover.

If it gets a 9.6, you're looking at +$300 FMV.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I'm glad CBCS doesn't grade by photographs, but I bet they $$LOVE$$ when their customers do.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
It's always tough to tell without having the book in hand, but pull the trigger on a crack, press, regrade. If it goes up a little bit, awesome.
Post 14 IP   flag post
If it was me, I would not open it out of the CGC case, send it directly to CBCS in the slab, with instructions on what you want done (pressing etc) and tell CBCS you feel the grade that CGC gave you was way off and not deserved.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
The black background of an ASM #300 can be tough on the grade as spine ticks become very noticeable. From your pictures I can also see wear on the bottom edge of the spine which most likely contributed to a slight grade reduction. Like others have noted, the indents and bends can be pressed out for a likely grade increase. Lots of Venom hype right now, but you may want to resubmit sooner than later if you’re looking to resell.

PS those are flecks of plastic floating inside the encapsulation well. I’ve seen many slabbed books like that.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
If it was me, I would not open it out of the CGC case, send it directly to CBCS in the slab, with instructions on what you want done (pressing etc) and tell CBCS you feel the grade that CGC gave you was way off and not deserved.

I'm not sure what mentioning CGC's grade will do. I doubt the message would make it to the graders because they're supposed to remain ignorant of any past history of 3rd party grading. And what can the person who receives the slab and sees the message do with it? Every employee (except the graders) can see the message, but that helps nothing because the grader remains ignorant.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
I'm not sure what mentioning CGC's grade will do. I doubt the message would make it to the graders because they're supposed to remain ignorant of any past history of 3rd party grading. And what can the person who receives the slab and sees the message do with it? Every employee (except the graders) can see the message, but that helps nothing because the grader remains ignorant.

So you're tell us that there are "other" employees there that take pre-slabbed comics out of CGC, Vault, PGX, 3PG cases, then those comics get turned over to the actual graders? The actual graders never have to open pre-graded slabbed books then proceed to do their grading, restoration detection, pressing jobs? Since they are supposed to remain ignorant.

This cant be true, Example:
If I have a "Yellow Label" CGC Signature series slabbed book, and send it in to CBCS (still slabbed in the CGC case) then CBCS will take the "CGC Witnessed" label and transfer it to a CBCS "Witnessed" label.
If it was sent to the graders from the "other employees" at CBCS (to keep the graders ignorant of other third party previous graded notes) then how else would they know to give an actual "Certified Witness Label" back to the comic in the new CBCS slab or not?

Edit:
CBCS Red Label = Verified Signature
CBCS Yellow Label = Authentic Signature
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone! I decided to ship it, in slab to cbcs and get a regrade and press. I appreciate all the help!
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Enelson Good luck !
Post 20 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS 8.5. CBCS grades stricter.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:

So you're tell us that there are "other" employees there that take pre-slabbed comics out of CGC, Vault, PGX, 3PG cases, then those comics get turned over to the actual graders? The actual graders never have to open pre-graded slabbed books then proceed to do their grading, restoration detection, pressing jobs? Since they are supposed to remain ignorant.

This cant be true, Example:
If I have a "Yellow Label" CGC Signature series slabbed book, and send it in to CBCS (still slabbed in the CGC case) then CBCS will take the "CGC Witnessed" label and transfer it to a CBCS "Witnessed" label.
If it was sent to the graders from the "other employees" at CBCS (to keep the graders ignorant of other third party previous graded notes) then how else would they know to give an actual "Certified Witness Label" back to the comic in the new CBCS slab or not?

Edit:
CBCS Red Label = Verified Signature
CBCS Yellow Label = Authentic Signature

Graders don't make the label so those notes can be entered by someone other than the graders and then when they go into labeling the label would reflect the information without letting the graders view such notes.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Graders don't make the label so those notes can be entered by someone other than the graders and then when they go into labeling the label would reflect the information without letting the graders view such notes.

So, they have other employees handle our comics and remove them from the slabs? Employees that are not CBCS certified graders? I can see the following playing out: Grading Notes: Finger prints on the back cover. What? It never had those there when it was pre-slabbed from CGC!"

I would have felt better knowing that the ones that actually handle the comics on a daily basis and actually handle them with care (graders) are the same people that we trust to remove the comics from the slabs and not damage them. Not some "other employee" that takes packages from the USPS or a secretary that answers telephone calls...

"Becky, make me a coffee will ya, and hold my calls... Oh, and remove those slabs after you document the owners names and what all they sent in, then expedite them over to the grading area so they can start on them right away."
Post 23 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@GanaSoth They have people that open packages and double check that what is on the invoice is what was in the package. Bar coded labels are placed on the bags of each comic. That bar code identifies what comic goes to which order. All the graders get is a comic in a bag with a bar code. As far as removing comics from slabs, I'm sure that the employees are trained on how to do that as they probably have to do that every day. These are not part time temps messing with your comics.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Thanks for painting the picture more clearly in my head.
Now I know more of how the operation works.
PS: I wouldn't trust a part time temp to make my coffee either
Post 25 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
No problem!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Not sure why its hard to believe some "other employee" being capable of caution and care. Being a grader makes them deslabbing experts?

Personally I'd like the folks who grade my valuables to be focussed on the grading.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Oops, already addressed.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Not sure why its hard to believe some "other employee" being capable of caution and care. Being a grader makes them deslabbing experts?

I would just feel better if the graders were the actual ones removing the comics from the slabs. The "other employees" get complacent with their duty roles. Ex: Post Office Employees, first week or two on the job, they make sure packages are handled nice and easy, careful not to drop etc. A month later, "Is there anything else sir?" - as he slaps the address sticker on your package and tosses it in the bin behind him. - This sort of thing.

But this is just my opinion... I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or see it my way. Just my thoughts.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
...with the creasing and blunting I'd say it's a 9.4 tops(but probably less-9.0/9.2), even with a press. Multiple stress lines that break color, on a modern, isn't a recipe for high grading. IMO

Good luck!
Post 30 IP   flag post
600827 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?