Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Let's Talk About Stan Lee6052

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
He's an old man but he's still a grown man. If he's up to sign comics let him. That being said I've bought all my Stan sigs off ebay; While searching I've seen a lot that looked like he took a nap in the middle.

I agree with you, he's certainly earned the right to make choices and do what makes him happy - which has always been his fans - but take a look at the latest videos of him, look at the footage from Silicon Valley Comic Con. That's not a man who is up to signing comics.

Stan announced his retirement at the end of 2016; I think it was Palm Springs that was to be his last convention. This less than a year later his wife passed away (July 2017) and his manager started pimping him out.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Definitely a different video, let me see if I can find it
Post 27 IP   flag post
Here it is (Scroll down just a bit): http://people.com/movies/stan-lee-denies-claims-his-daughter-is-trying-to-gain-control-of-his-assets/

At the end Keya says "and remember the macular degeneration, Stan" and then Stan says "Oh to hell with that" and the video cuts off

@Jesse_O
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
I had a great uncle who used to try to live like he was 30 still (when he was in his 80s and hunching over). Couldn't tell the guy nothing just hang out and make sure he didn't wander off too far. Hopefully thats whats going on.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Who are the vampires in this scenario? Stan Lee for charging for signatures? Us for obtaining his signatures and making a profit from them? The handlers of Stan Lee signings? The family of Stan Lee? The event organizers?

Who are the vampires here?

My personal opinion is everyone who participated in obtaining Stan Lee signatures after he reached age 75, are vampires. Except Mr. Lee himself. Does anyone really think Stan Lee thinks "I should go sign some books and stuff, because I want more money"? Or, "I want to be fawned over and bask in my own glory with the fans boys, so let's do a convention"?

Who is the real reason for the heroin problem? Those that make and sell the heroin? Or those that use the heroin?

Enough is enough. Have some respect.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I added the POW! Entertainment letter to the comments section of my article: True Believers: Stan Lee Needs Our Support – #StandbyStan

If you want the whole story as best as we can know it from the outside looking in, including the timeline, the players and all check it out.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
This saga is getting weirder and weirder by the day...Stan hasn't really said anything for the past couple months about anything going on in the news about him or his associates and now multiple videos are starting to get released from Stan saying everything is fine:

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/12/stan-lee-denies-elder-abuse-claims-threatens-legal-action/

That's all I need to hear. Controversy makes irrelevant news sources relevant... unfortunately.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan1971
I’ve posted this in a few places and hopefully gets heard by enough of the right people. Promoters need to stop booking Stan until Max and the people that have cared and looked out for his well being are by Stan’s side once again. Despite what fans might think of Max and his ways, I know I very
different side and know that all he does is in Stan’s best interest. He makes sure he has breaks between things, doesn’t over sell tickets and treats him with respect. I’ve done many private signings through my time knowing them both, I was even lucky enough to have Stan at my booth during NYCC to do photo ops

Stan doesn't need Max. He needs someone who can do what Max did AND be a decent, polite, respectful human being at the same time.

Max is none of those things, despite how well he may have treated Stan.

There certainly are people who can do what Max did, and far better.

You’re completely wrong about not needing Max. Like I’ve said, can Max rub fans the wrong way, yes he can. He does it to protect Stan despite the fan not being able to seeing it cause they’re not getting what they want. How much interact have you had with Stan and Max privately or on a personal level? Because having to deal with fans and having fans think they’re the only one that wants this or that. I’ve known both of them on a personal and professional level for nearly 12yrs. Max would never do the things that are being done to Stan and we’re done at SVCC. Remember his first job is the safety and well being of Stan. If that clashes with the wishes of fans it’s his job to be a hard ass and take the grief and heat for those choices. But at the end of the day Stan is safe and cared for
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Who are the vampires in this scenario? Stan Lee for charging for signatures? Us for obtaining his signatures and making a profit from them? The handlers of Stan Lee signings? The family of Stan Lee? The event organizers?

Who are the vampires here?

My personal opinion is everyone who participated in obtaining Stan Lee signatures after he reached age 75, are vampires. Except Mr. Lee himself. Does anyone really think Stan Lee thinks "I should go sign some books and stuff, because I want more money"? Or, "I want to be fawned over and bask in my own glory with the fans boys, so let's do a convention"?

Who is the real reason for the heroin problem? Those that make and sell the heroin? Or those that use the heroin?

Enough is enough. Have some respect.

I honestly think when you hustle as long as Stan Lee you just don't ever wanna or know how to stop getting money
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
I and my Son were at the Silicon Valley Comic Con and it was HORRIFYING to see it... We were there on Saturday and Stan Lee was completely incoherent, his mind was NOT THERE and not aware of what was going on... When the was signing they would put his hand on the item and they would say "sign Stan Lee" and sometimes 2 or 3 times then he would move his hand... One of our Signatures is just a line... Someone had an X-Men #1 that he signed while the book was still sideways. It was disgusting to see and shame on the people who are SUPPOSED to be taking care of him...
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I better resubmit my Stan Lee’s that got turned down for verification then. The autograph must be all over the map.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Wonder if he had a urinary tract infection. Not sure what it is, but elderly people can get them regularly, and they can act catatonic, or incoherent.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBE
I and my Son were at the Silicon Valley Comic Con and it was HORRIFYING to see it... We were there on Saturday and Stan Lee was completely incoherent, his mind was NOT THERE and not aware of what was going on... When the was signing they would put his hand on the item and they would say "sign Stan Lee" and sometimes 2 or 3 times then he would move his hand... One of our Signatures is just a line... Someone had an X-Men #1 that he signed while the book was still sideways. It was disgusting to see and shame on the people who are SUPPOSED to be taking care of him...

Sounds like "sun setting".
My Grandmother passed away 2 years ago at 94. My son, Uncle and myself would visit her at least 1 or 2 times per week since she went into the old folks home (90 when she went in). "Sun setting" was the term the staff used. Basically first thing in the day they are ok but as the day progresses....well sometimes she wouldn't recognize any of us, and as she got older it got progressively worse.

Willing to bet if a lawyer saw her in the AM they would say she was good but they wouldn't be there to see later in the day...luckily her nephew/our cousin is the lawyer we all use so he knew what was happening and that no one was trying to take $$ or anything, so power of attorney kicked in to take care of her health needs and finances.
Post 38 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a little nostalgia for everyone: Stan Lee playing the Spider-Man game on the Atari 2600 in 1982.

Post 39 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Does anyone really think Stan Lee thinks "I should go sign some books and stuff, because I want more money"?

Yes, actually! I do think this.

Stan is sometimes napping, sometime groggy, getting very frail. But he also grew up during the Depression at a very impressionable age. Reports are he still doesn't trust banks very much, and people think he has money hidden all around the house. (My grandmother did this.) I think it is very likely that Stan himself is the driving force behind the signature Assemble line. (Sorry, I couldn't help the pun.)

Here's the thing: in that video we see Stan sign about 5-8 comics in a minute. Conservatively, five comics a minute is 300 per hour. In a 12-14 hour day he might sign for 4-5 hours total. (Just guessing here, counting all the breaks and naps and such). And so that's maybe 1200 comics per day. For a three-day con, that would be some 3500 comics total. And he get's, what, $200 a pop? So just for signing his name Stan Lee can make, in a single weekend, over HALF A MILLION DOLLARS.

I don't think it's any kind of greed, but I do think Stan just hates the idea of leaving that money on the table, or not earning because he's weak, or passing up the easiest money he's ever made. Are you kidding me? He's telling himself: just an hour of this and I've earned $60,000 ... enough cash to buy an expensive car! After a day I can get a nice house anywhere but California; and after three days, I can buy a nice house in California, too.

Every comic that slides by on the signing table, he gets $200 just for scrawling his name. Forget the Depression, that kind of money would be hard for any of us to pass up. $200 in five seconds? Gimme, gimme, gimme.

So, what about the video? Here's what I think is going on: I think Stan instructs his people: "Keep it going. Keep it moving. Don't worry if I get droopy sometimes, this signing shit is boring, but I'll push through. I'm glad to do it and I need you guys to help me stay focused." They keep him on task because, I think, that is their job for Stan.

And the guy spelling his name for him? Well, first of all, some people request "Excelsior!" or "To Dave," or something else, maybe, even though most people just request a plain signature. So the guy stands there and his job is to convey the request with the comic. Over and over and over again. And that gets boring, too. So I think, just to break the tedium in a very minor way he sometimes spells it out, in a kind of sing-song way: S-T-A-N-L-E-E.

But the idea that Stan Lee can't spell his own name? Well ... extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence, I think.

I really hate the idea that Stan Lee is getting frail. And I hate the idea that people (like, reportedly, his daughter) are taking advantage of him, his money, and his good nature. I really hope that isn't true, because that would suck.

But I think most of this is two things: 1) Stan has ALWAYS been bad at details. That's what really caused the falling out with Kirby ... Stan just doesn't pay attention to even obvious gradients of distinction. I truly believe Stan Lee "took credit" for creating all those heroes because he didn't notice the difference between someone asking "Did you create the Fantastic Four?" and "Did you and Jack create the Fantastic Four?" (In his mind, the answer to both questions is indubitably "That's right!" ) So frail or not, old or not, he's an easy mark, I think, and hazy on the details of everything going on around him.

And 2) He'll never give up making $200 bucks in five seconds, if he can help it.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBE

You were horrified? It was disgusting to see?

Just not enough to make sure they kept him propped up long enough to get YOUR signatures, even if they were just a line? Right? A real humanitarian you are.

I think this speaks volumes about who the Vampires are. Greedy "Fans" looking to flip for profit.

If Fan's really cared about Stan Lee's condition and the way he is being exploited and used for his signature by both Promoters and Fans alike, they would simply quite buying the tickets to these Signings.

If demand for the tickets are not there, and no profits are to be made by the promoters who parasite off of him, this would no longer go on. ONLY the Fans can stop it and allow Stan to go in piece.

Im sure glad I don't let people scribble on my books....

"Shame on the people who are SUPOSSED to be taking care of him?"

I suggest that you look in the mirror for part of that answer.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Does anyone really think Stan Lee thinks "I should go sign some books and stuff, because I want more money"?

Stan is sometimes napping, sometime groggy, getting very frail. But he also grew up during the Depression at a very impressionable age. Reports are he still doesn't trust banks very much, and people think he has money hidden all around the house. (My grandmother did this.) I think it is very likely that Stan himself is the driving force behind the signature Assemble line. (Sorry, I couldn't help the pun.)

Here's the thing: in that video we see Stan sign about 5-8 comics in a minute. Conservatively, five comics a minute is 300 per hour. In a 12-14 hour day he might sign for 4-5 hours total. (Just guessing here, counting all the breaks and naps and such). And so that's maybe 1200 comics per day. For a three-day con, that would be some 3500 comics total. And he get's, what, $200 a pop? So just for signing his name Stan Lee can make, in a single weekend, over HALF A MILLION DOLLARS.

I don't think it's any kind of greed, but I do think Stan just hates the idea of leaving that money on the table, or not earning because he's weak, or passing up the easiest money he's ever made. Are you kidding me? He's telling himself: just an hour of this and I've earned $60,000 ... enough cash to buy an expensive car! After a day I can get a nice house anywhere but California; and after three days, I can buy a nice house in California, too.

Every comic that slides by on the signing table, he gets $200 just for scrawling his name. Forget the Depression, that kind of money would be hard for any of us to pass up. $200 in five seconds? Gimme, gimme, gimme.

So, what about the video? Here's what I think is going on: I think Stan instructs his people: "Keep it going. Keep it moving. Don't worry if I get droopy sometimes, this signing shit is boring, but I'll push through. I'm glad to do it and I need you guys to help me stay focused." They keep him on task because, I think, that is their job for Stan.

And the guy spelling his name for him? Well, first of all, some people request "Excelsior!" or "To Dave," or something else, maybe, even though most people just request a plain signature. So the guy stands there and his job is to convey the request with the comic. Over and over and over again. And that gets boring, too. So I think, just to break the tedium in a very minor way he sometimes spells it out, in a kind of sing-song way: S-T-A-N-L-E-E.

But the idea that Stan Lee can't spell his own name? Well ... extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence, I think.

I really hate the idea that Stan Lee is getting frail. And I hate the idea that people (like, reportedly, his daughter) are taking advantage of him, his money, and his good nature. I really hope that isn't true, because that would suck.

But I think most of this is two things: 1) Stan has ALWAYS been bad at details. That's what really caused the falling out with Kirby ... Stan just doesn't pay attention to even obvious gradients of distinction. I truly believe Stan Lee "took credit" for creating all those heroes because he didn't notice the difference between someone asking "Did you create the Fantastic Four?" and "Did you and Jack create the Fantastic Four?" (In his mind, the answer to both questions is indubitably "That's right!" ) So frail or not, old or not, he's an easy mark, I think, and hazy on the details of everything going on around him.

And 2) He'll never give up making $200 bucks in five seconds, if he can help it.

HOGWASH
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like SL has filed a lawsuit.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/stan-lee-sues-business-manager-fraud-1102749
Post 43 IP   flag post
It's really too bad Mr.Lee had to get mixed up with these hucksters, especially when you consider all the fans out there that really care about him and would have treated and watched over him and his finances much better than that given the chance.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
It looks like SL has filed a lawsuit.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/stan-lee-sues-business-manager-fraud-1102749

That didn't seem to go against what he said in the video. I think he named that guy as the problem.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I deleted most of the wall of text, just to save space.

Stan can not and does not, make over a half a million dollars in a weekend. Not even for guest staring in one of the movies.

I almost always agree with your thoughts on various subject TedSaid. But you are contorting yourself in your analysis of Stan Lee, in an apparent attempt to make him seem like a guy who suffered hard times and when times got good, never forgot the poor times and is afraid they might come back.

Stan Lee is NOT a likeable character, IMO.

But the real question here is: Who's signature will be less valued twenty years from now, Stan Lee or Pete Rose? Both must have set records for signing stuff. A Pete Rose signature is almost worthless now. Stan Lee is running hot at the moment because of the movies. But they will soon die out. Just like westerns did. That's my opinion.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Stan can not and does not, make over a half a million dollars in a weekend. Not even for guest staring in one of the movies.

I almost always agree with your thoughts on various subject TedSaid. But you are contorting yourself in your analysis of Stan Lee, in an apparent attempt to make him seem like a guy who suffered hard times and when times got good, never forgot the poor times and is afraid they might come back.

But the real question here is: Who's signature will be less valued twenty years from now, Stan Lee or Pete Rose? Both must have set records for signing stuff. A Pete Rose signature is almost worthless now. Stan Lee is running hot at the moment because of the movies. But they will soon die out. Just like westerns did. That's my opinion.

Thanks, CF.

Regarding the convention fees, Here is an article from last year saying Stan "asks for and gets mid-six figures" guarantees to attend a con. I didn't realize the con would guarantee and they were the ones charging for autographs and photos, VIP packages, etc., but that actually makes more sense. Also, $200 may have been high. On this forum someone wrote he is now getting $160 (and about the same for photo ops). So overall, it was a rough calculation, but I think in the right ballpark.

I agree, I don't think Stan Lee signatures will be worth very much going forward. It's a little silly now. It wasn't that long ago when signatures didn't affect the comic book value at all. (And, of course, they were free to get.)
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve worked with Stan. His fee at the table for autographs or for a photo op is 120 for either item. I also know the guarantee he gets is no where near where you are claiming. The way it works is this ...... Stan is guaranteed “X” for coming to a show. The promoter then estimates the amount of autographs and photos he will/can do for the time he will be appearing. That number is divided into the money that is guaranteed to Stan so that the promoter won’t have to pay anything additional and that autographs and photos will cover or more than cover that fee.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, CF.

Regarding the convention fees, Here is an article from last year saying Stan "asks for and gets mid-six figures" guarantees to attend a con. I didn't realize the con would guarantee and they were the ones charging for autographs and photos, VIP packages, etc., but that actually makes more sense. Also, $200 may have been high. On this forum someone wrote he is now getting $160 (and about the same for photo ops). So overall, it was a rough calculation, but I think in the right ballpark.

I agree, I don't think Stan Lee signatures will be worth very much going forward. It's a little silly now. It wasn't that long ago when signatures didn't affect the comic book value at all. (And, of course, they were free to get.)
I'm still of the opinion they will devalue a book once we get past this crazy fad.

High quality, clean covers are getting more rare at every convention
Post 49 IP   flag post
I agree that a signature will devalue many books. But not all. Some beg to be signed, and all signers are not equal. But books signed by Stan Lee will in the long run, hurt many books. Not all, but many.

If you had a book signed by Barack Obama (who I am NOT a fan of), signed by him and his likeness I on the cover. That will be highly prized for a hundred years or more. But if you have a book signed by Stan Lee or Todd McFarlane, or many other hot names nowadays. They will hurt value in the long run.

A signature can help a 4.5 book. But hurt a 9.6 book.

It really depends on the signer, the book, the grade (see sentence above), and the attention given by the signer to his signature. In my opinion.

But do what makes you happy. I do. A "happy ending" is always nice though.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I'm still of the opinion they will devalue a book once we get past this crazy fad.

High quality, clean covers are getting more rare at every convention

It devalues a comic for me. I'd never pay more for a signature and I think it detracts from the comic.
Post 51 IP   flag post
When there are so many books out there already with his signature on them, why deface anymore??? I mean sheesh, it's getting ridiculous.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The splash. Who cares about a scribble defacing the front, even with a smiley face. Much lazier to sign the front, though
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Stan never charged $200 for sigs, to my knowledge.

Agreed with pretty much everything else you've said here, though.

Stan charged IIRC, $125 or $150 for signing books.Intil about a year and change ago, he charged $100 per book.

He may have charged more for signing higher dollar books like AF #15, which I hope he did, for his own good. He certainly deserved $200 or so for sprawling his sig on a beat AF 15...just look at GPA sales on low end like cover less copies, single pages or incomplete copies especially.

Single pages
of AF 15 in CGC SS slabs sell for $500 or so.

So Stan deserved at least $125-$150 for signing low grade or incomplete books for CGC SS & CBCS AW labels.

Stan's days of signing books are over, at least via conventions. As they should be.

I hope everyone involved in stealing his money over the past couple years since his wife died, faces criminal charges.

Hands Of Respect should be brought up on criminal charges for theft, fraud; grand larceny and elder abuse.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Edit: the portion of the post that was quoted was deleted by the moderators.

CBCS does very little, if any, business with Chandler still. Chandler used to witness for CBCS but is no longer a CBCS facilitator as far as I'm aware.
Post 55 IP   flag post
597893 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?