Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

New with CBCS - Issues with CGC6048

Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone. I'm new here and new to CBCS. I'm very seriously thinking about getting all my CGC comics re-slabbed by CBCS. CGC's current case is designed to destroy comics...

As many of you know, CGC has done away with the inner wells that held the comic in place. As far as I'm aware CBCS still has the inner wells correct? (Please tell me if I'm wrong.)Now all they have are two pieces of Mylar heat sealed together around the comic book, and that is encased inside the CGC slab.

This puts pressure on the comic so that you will start to see the front and rear cover stay in place as the inner pages start to move around. (Either up above the front and rear covers or down below the front and rear covers.)

To further show what I'm talking about, here are pictures of an Totally Awesome Hulk #22 9.8
You can clearly see the comic books inner pages freely move around. It doesnt even take much of a try to get them to start to shift. Once the comic gets crooked in the slab, its all over; with no inner wells, whats going to stop it?

This is the 2nd Totally Awesome Hulk 9.8 I have had with the exact same CGC Case Problem. Clearly a defective case design to allow the comic to shift inside the slab, causing who knows what kind of damage (loose covers at staples?)

Anyone else have any issues like this with the new CGC (horrible) cases?
Does CBCS still have the inner wells?

I have other comics from CGC that are starting to exhibit the exact same shifting... If anyone wants more pics I'll post them up when I get the time.

Thanks for reading, glad to be here!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
One question. Did you get them pressed?
Post 2 IP   flag post
No. No pressing at all.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I noticed a change recently in cgc cases as well. Back in 2016 they tried to remove the inner wells but after many complaints it was put back. Now it seems in 2018 they are trying to take it out again. Many of my recent cgc comics are crooked inside the case and shift around as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I noticed a change recently in cgc cases as well. Back in 2016 they tried to remove the inner wells but after many complaints it was put back. Now it seems in 2018 they are trying to take it out again. Many of my recent cgc comics are crooked inside the case and shift around as well.

Thank you for coming forward and letting me know I wasn't the only one with these horrible CGC cases...
I'm about to post more pics of some of my other comics with the exact same issues of a poorly designed case flaw, that they have to know about, but simply doesn't care...
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
This is horrible news.

Good news for CBCS though
Post 7 IP   flag post
Here is my second copy of Totally Awesome Hulk #22 9.8 with exact same CGC Slab issues.
(Looks exact, but different CGC Verification Numbers.)

Post 8 IP   flag post
Here is pics of HillBilly #1 9.8 and HillBilly #2 9.8
Again, same CGC Slab issues of the comic book pages shifting past front and rear covers.

Issue #2

Post 9 IP   flag post
Here we have the hottest comic currently, and of course CGC has to throw it in their garbage slab...
You can see the inner comic pages starting to slip down below the front and rear cover.

Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
To me, the Totally Awesome Hulk #22 does look like it has shifted. The other three, not so much.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
To me, the Totally Awesome Hulk #22 does look like it has shifted. The other three, not so much.

The others are starting to shift as well. I'm wanting to warn people about CGC slabs and them cutting corners... Obvious they dont care about the collectors' or the comic books they grade.

How are the CBCS cases? They have nice inner wells?
I have never bought a CBCS graded comic or used CBCS as of yet, but thats going to change here very shortly I believe.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
The talk I hear going around is that it's no so much the grading companies, it's specifically Marvel and the progressively cheaper materials they use to manufacture their books, especially in the last two years.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
The talk I hear going around is that it's no so much the grading companies, it's specifically Marvel and the progressively cheaper materials they use to manufacture their books, especially in the last two years.

Well, lets hope not. But on the bright side, at least Marvel hasn't went full newspaper print like the comic company "Alterna Comics."
Post 14 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
cheaper materials they use to manufacture their books

I'm sure that factors in as well.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Is this also an issue with CBCS cases - been a year since I had any CBCS submissions and am about to send in 9 verified books after a convention in June
Post 16 IP   flag post
They have been using that slabs for years.

Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 18 IP   flag post
All the books are in an inner well, but the inner wells are just the front and back of the sleeves of the inner well. The book isn't sitting inside a "tray" like in other cases. The sleeves "hold" the book in place as opposed to it sitting in a tray.

The tray can contribute to SCS while the sandwich sleeves can cause the cover to stay in place and the rest of the book slide.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
They have been using that slabs for years.

Yeah, but whats odd is this, my Eternal Warrior #4 - 9.8 was graded in Feb. 2018, yet it has the inner well. No issues at all. That makes no sense right?

Post 20 IP   flag post
I don't know why they switch back and forth. Maybe they ran out of the trays and just slabbed the others lid to lid. My point is that this isn't any thing really new. It just came to light when the shit hit the fan over SlabGate a year or so ago.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
The tray can contribute to SCS while the sandwich sleeves can cause the cover to stay in place and the rest of the book slide.

I'd rather have the Inner Well /Tray and take my chances with maybe getting the Shaken Comic Syndrome then have my comics without the Inner Well. From what I have witnessed firsthand as seen in my other comics (pictures I provided in this thread for every ones viewing pleasure) I'm sure you all would probably feel the same way about it.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I think all the CBCS slabs have the tray.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson those are old labels/cases
Post 24 IP   flag post
Some of you say that this is also an issue with CBCS can some of you that use CBCS please go into more detail?

From all the pictures I have seen on-line about CBCS comic slabs and all I have researched thus far; they always have the inner wells/trays and you never have to re-slab your comics ever again, unlike CGC's every 7 to 10 years.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@DrWatson those are old labels/cases

They're mine. I've had them for years. I can look up the grade dates if you want.
Post 26 IP   flag post
The ASXM #7 was graded on 05/23/2005. The 4 on 01/16/2006. The 2 on 06/30/2006.
Post 27 IP   flag post
OK gentlemen, please continue the chat, I will catch up tomorrow. I gotta get some rest.
Have a good night all.
Post 28 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
From all the pictures I have seen on-line about CBCS comic slabs and all I have researched thus far; they always have the inner wells/trays and you never have to re-slab your comics ever again, unlike CGC's every 7 to 10 years.

CBCS uses inner wells on 99.999% of books, including modern comics. It's pretty rare to do lid to lid, but it does happen, but only if deemed that is best for the comic in that situation.

You do not have to reslab CBCS comics every 7 to 10 years. As long as you store them in a standard controlled climate, you would never have to reslab them.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
CGC recommended to reslab books, years ago, just to replace the Microchamber paper.

They no longer recommend it, and say this on their website.

OP, their FAQ mentions an inner well.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598065 52 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?