Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Steve Borock interview - move to Dallas6041

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
In that video Steve B made the case that expanding and having two grading teams would be bad because one would grade differently than the other.

If there is an entirely new grading team in Dallas, won't they grade differently than the old one?

Once they move, there will only be one grading team in Dallas. In the video, they were talking about CBCS opening up in different cities and grading at those spots. Then you would get the situation where people would claim that CBCS in X grades tighter than CBCS in Y, so submit to Y. That's a mess that is best left avoided.

Right, people would be concerned with X being different than Y.

But I think people will also be concerned with New being different than Old.

CGC and CBCS hire new graders regularly. To expand, to replace those that have left. Consistency comes from the experienced graders still there, from the grade finalizer(s).

Steve Borock has no doubt trained hundreds of graders. For both grading companies. And will no doubt train many more.

Besides, it seems very likely that most of the grading staff will make the move.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@TimBildhauser but is most important - what is the size of the Dallas vault? 😎
From what I've heard it's currently under construction. As for the size of it? I have no idea, I haven't been to the Dallas offices. I would guess it'll be at least the same size of the vault in the FL facility but since it's being constructed from the ground up it would make sense to increase in size to accommodate an increase in volume.
Post 102 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't had time to watch the interview yet and apologize if this was covered earlier in the thread (haven't read all of that either) but I just got off the phone with customer service and Jake told me that the move to Dallas is scheduled for June.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
In that video Steve B made the case that expanding and having two grading teams would be bad because one would grade differently than the other.

If there is an entirely new grading team in Dallas, won't they grade differently than the old one?

Once they move, there will only be one grading team in Dallas. In the video, they were talking about CBCS opening up in different cities and grading at those spots. Then you would get the situation where people would claim that CBCS in X grades tighter than CBCS in Y, so submit to Y. That's a mess that is best left avoided.

This had me thinking about the grading process. Are the graders individually assigned to specific era's, or do they rotate to break up any monotony? I think it's safe to say that grading Golden/Atomic/Silver Age comics all day would be more 'difficult' than grading brand new comics all day.

If they don't rotate, do the Golden/Atomic/Silver graders get paid more? LOL (Not really expecting an answer)

If they do rotate, then in a way the tighter grading claims described above can still be made. A ridiculous claim of course, but with the craze we often see with some label hunters, I wouldn't be surprised if some want a notation made for who [all] graded the book- Kinda like an "Inspected By 12" tag in our new clothing.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Can someone tell me why Beckett Media is in Dallas??? 🤔

Kidding! 🤡
Post 105 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
This is on my topic list for my podcast tonight. I hope that's alright given the official press release isn't out yet
Post 106 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
This had me thinking about the grading process. Are the graders individually assigned to specific era's, or do they rotate to break up any monotony? I think it's safe to say that grading Golden/Atomic/Silver Age comics all day would be more 'difficult' than grading brand new comics all day.

If they don't rotate, do the Golden/Atomic/Silver graders get paid more? LOL (Not really expecting an answer)

From what SB has said on social media, I would gather that books are doled out to different graders by value and tier.

And yes, the most valuable (which is usually older) go to Steve and West (who certainly do get paid more )
Post 107 IP   flag post
Lots of debate on social media about this move, unfortunately mostly negative.

It really does make sense though. Quality control, encapsulating, customer service, marketing, etc, there are so many departments that can benefit from a complete merger (aside from grading of course).

We've been hearing so much so often about what is "coming soon", I get why folks including myself are frustrated; but this seems like the first of many possibly good changes to come.

Thinking positive today
Post 108 IP   flag post
Yup. I'm definitely going to paint it in a positive light (which I truly believe it is)
Post 109 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 110 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Can someone tell me why Beckett Media is in Dallas??? 🤔

Kidding! 🤡
The answer to this is simple. Flying monkeys.

LOL
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
to paint it in a positive light (which I truly believe

Dont be a negative nancy, Myke! lol
Post 112 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Dont be a negative nancy, Myke! lol

Post 113 IP   flag post
Hey it's Data from Star Trek
Post 114 IP   flag post

Post 115 IP   flag post
Good news! The illustrious Steve Borock will be joining me and the crew this evening on our weekly YouTube ‘cast to tell you all about the move
We start at 8:30 but Steve will be with us closer to 9pm Eastern. Swing by for the details and to ask your questions

https://youtu.be/MnTqqB0Syc8
Post 116 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@JLS_Comics I shared the broadcast on the CBCS Comic Collectors Club Facebook page. I hope you have a great turnout and I look forward to hearing you and Borock discuss the move!!
Post 117 IP   flag post
Thanks! It will be fun
Post 118 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Good news! The illustrious Steve Borock will be joining me and the crew this evening on our weekly YouTube ‘cast to tell you all about the move
We start at 8:30 but Steve will be with us closer to 9pm Eastern. Swing by for the details and to ask your questions

https://youtu.be/MnTqqB0Syc8

Wow - so you will be covering Stan and CBCS move in same episode! Nice
Post 119 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Wow - so you will be covering Stan and CBCS move in same episode! Nice

lol yeah - big topics this week!
Post 120 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O So the Dallas facility; is it going to have a "front office" for in-person submissions? Also, is there a plan on the timeframe when submissions should shift from the Florida address to a Texas address?
Post 121 IP   flag post
They take drop off submissions by appointment only in Florida, I would think the same would be true in Dallas. I have no idea on when they plan to start using a Dallas address for mail-in submissions. With them saying they should be moved in by the end of June, I'd expect it to be about that time also. I'm sure they will give notice as they draw nearer to completing the move. But maybe @JLS_Comics can ask Borock tonight.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa CBCS is not downsizing, in fact once it is said and done CBCS will be bigger then ever.

I have yet to figure out where you got the Downsizing part out of all this??

The great employees who do not make the move to Dallas, those positions will be filled, and more positions and workers will be hired.

The St. Pete location is and has been maxed out, and there is zero room for real growth there, so the move was needed anyway. It was a no brainer to move into the Beckett facility, and start the growth.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Also, Beckett does not have comic book graders. CBCS is growing larger every year. I hear the turnout at C2E2 was tremendous and, according to Borock, they were "swamped" with submissions!! More submissions means they need more graders. More graders means faster TATs. How many times have we heard people complain that they need to hire more graders??? Now they are making a move to where there is a potentially larger work pool to draw from. Beckett having IT resources means that someone can be working on the census. I just don't see a long term downside to this. And I CERTAINLY don't see it as downsizing. The company itself is actually expanding. And in case you haven't heard, CBCS is trying to make it to more smaller, comic book centered, cons this season. and the way I understand it, those events will not effect the graders.

Jesse at C2E2 we closed at 8pm each night, and didn't get through with submissions until 10-11 each night. It was a great turnout!
Post 124 IP   flag post
Borock just stated that they took in 5,000 submissions at C2E2.
Post 125 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I have been a member here for nearly two years and have sent off several lots to be graded and encapsulated and I have always been pleased with the final results.

The last lot of ten comics took 22 weeks to arrive which is about the same as the first lot all those months ago.

I have another group of comics to send but with a TAT of nearly 6 months coupled with a relocation that is going to take until June with all the problems of transporting current submissions to a different facility I am quite frankly scared of sending anything to CBCS at this current time.

I shall wait to see what happens of course but my next submission is not going to be here.
Post 126 IP   flag post
@Redshade Current TAT is 12 weeks.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector Etkt private msg quote post Address this user
I do not know if this has been asked/answered as yet, so my apologies if this is a repeat. Is it the intent to move the press/clean operation of CBCS to the Dallas area as well? I heard that they are staying in Florida.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Redshade Current TAT is 12 weeks.

Are you part of CBCS and can you guarantee that this is true?
Post 129 IP   flag post
@Redshade First pinned thread "CBCS Turnaround" post #12 by Tim Bildhauser (a CBCS employee) states TATs at 12 weeks one week ago. Steve Borock also mentioned it on an interview on Monday.
Post 130 IP   flag post
601196 141 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?