Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

Steve Borock interview - move to Dallas6041

Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I hope there won't be any disgruntled graders before the move.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Remember Dallas is home to Lone Star Comics aka mycomicshop. There are a TON of comic geeks that have been around the hobby for years there!!! I'd think the pool of potential graders would be larger there than in St, Petes.

i hope not that graders from mycs will be used/hired. in that case it will be impossible to get 9.8s
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector b00ch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
dallas floods a lot so you got that going for you

You are thinking of Houston. It doesn't flood in Dallas.

This will make shipping the materials for slabs cheaper from Houston.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I lived in Houston for 30 years and made many weekend trips to Austin and Dallas to party with brahs. Dallas floods. All the time. The freeways are terrible and get flooded. I'm not talking out of my ***
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS is moving to my backyard?.. Cool! I'll be able to do walk-ins.

I'm also searching for another job. :hint: :hint:.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I just realized that if they move to 4635 mcewen rd dallas tx that I could almost walk there.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder and @b00ch if I were you guys, I'd get a resume done and submitted to CBCS ASAP!!!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I lived in Houston for 30 years and made many weekend trips to Austin and Dallas to party with brahs. Dallas floods. All the time. The freeways are terrible and get flooded. I'm not talking out of my ***

I live there right now. I have for 27 of my 37 years. I lived in Austin for the other 10. No it doesn't flood. Houston floods. Especially where Beckett is that doesn't flood by the Galleria.

This is also right near where the new Midtown Dallas is getting built.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Pre_Coder and @b00ch if I were you guys, I'd get a resume done and submitted to CBCS ASAP!!!

I'm an IT guy. I'm not near good enough to grade professionally.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ch
Quote:

They could probably use a good IT guy also!!! Just saying .... LOL!!!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ch
Quote:

They could probably use a good IT guy also!!! Just saying .... LOL!!!

that would be cool. But, I figured the Becket guys would just add on to existing infrastructure. But, you never know. IT changes all the time. Def going to put in back of my mind.
Post 36 IP   flag post
http://www.dallasmidtown.com/

This is being built about a mile from Beckett
Post 37 IP   flag post
That's cool @b00ch !!! And it just dawned on me, Heritage Auctions is in Dallas as well!!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
That's cool @b00ch !!! And it just dawned on me, Heritage Auctions is in Dallas as well!!

That I didn't know! My LCS guy is friends with them, but it didn't dawn on me that they were local.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yep, and Steve B used to work there.
Post 40 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
This is me hiding near you guys while you guys have my books.
Post 41 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
This is me hiding near you guys while you guys have my books.

"Its almost my turn to have my books graded, so ill just post here"
Post 42 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
So let me get this straight. CGC made some sort of deal that prevented CBCS from being on the main floor? Sorry, but that's chicken shit!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious what this move will do to TAT?? Will grading be put on hold whilst they relocate?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Love that question of is there a new price guide on our horizon with Beckett?
Post 45 IP   flag post
Woop woop, magazine submissions are getting closer
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster I don't believe you.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@KingNampa Soon brother, sooooon!
Post 48 IP   flag post
Make sure to listen for the giveaway!
Post 49 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
So let me get this straight. CGC made some sort of deal that prevented CBCS from being on the main floor? Sorry, but that's chicken shit!

For sure. Competition is healthy. Giving exclusivity to a single grading company is preposterous. Imagine allowing only one comic book vendor.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Quote:
Quote:
@Jesse_O thx. So Beckett has offices in Dallas, right? Are they just downsizing and moving in with Beckett?

I SERIOUSLY doubt they are downsizing!! It would make more sense that they want to be physically closer to Beckett. Especially since the signature verification is now done by Beckett. Later in the interview, Borock talks about meeting with people to examine a magazine sized holder for comics. Since Beckett already has a magazine case, I'd imagine that they are looking at combining the best of both companies. But that is purely speculation on my part.

Yes speculation. But all the employees based in Florida are not going to get relocation money, so I assume they will have to shed some staff when they move. Possibly use Beckett existing staff or hire more.

I don't live near Florida nor Texas, so personally it doesn't affect me where CGC or CBCS is located. Both are places I mail stuff to.

Do you actually KNOW for a fact that CBCS will not be helping with relocation expenses of their employees? A lot of companies do in fact help with such. I would think CBCS and Beckett both (and together) would very much want to keep the graders and encapsulation staff. These are the people directly responsible for the look of the product in the customers hands.
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@OGJackster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

For sure. Competition is healthy. Giving exclusivity to a single grading company is preposterous. Imagine allowing only one comic book vendor.

Yea. Imagine a comic vender being the only one who sells a certain variant, for exorbitant prices? Even though the cover price says $4.99, you have to pay $75 for a brand new book. That just wouldn't fly. Ha Ha
Post 52 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Remember Dallas is home to Lone Star Comics aka mycomicshop. There are a TON of comic geeks that have been around the hobby for years there!!! I'd think the pool of potential graders would be larger there than in St, Petes.

i hope not that graders from mycs will be used/hired. in that case it will be impossible to get 9.8s

It's only impossible to get 9.8's from the books people send to MCS for CONSIGNMENT. The books MCS actually OWNS get normal grading.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm curious what this move will do to TAT?? Will grading be put on hold whilst they relocate?

Well, I think it obvious that moving to a new location will have some affect on day to day business. With comic book grading, that would mean likely some affect on TAT.

On the other hand, businesses move to new locations all the time. They know that such moves can potentially disrupt the delivery of their service or product - and make plans to minimize such.

This is why I posted up my....belief...that CBCS may well plan on helping with relocation expenses of key personnel. Graders, encapsulation, probably administrative staff. I could grade books in a closet if the light was good enough. I suspect they will do everything possible to keep disruption to a minimum
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Well thought out move?

Or directive from the parent company?

We will never know. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601338 141 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?