Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

Final decision near5988

Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks to a lot of you helping me out I’ve narrowed down a potential purchase to two books. ASM 129 8.0-9.0 or Giant sized X-Men #1 8.0-9.0. Which ones is the best book to POTENTIALLY hold its value or go up? Favorites of yours other than these two also welcome. Thanks in advance for the additional help.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
GSX all day long for me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have either. I would much rather have the GSX though. One day....
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Although I also would like both I would say GSX.

GSX has more potential for mas-marketability - not likely so see kids with Punisher plushies etc. Disney on the other hand can go to town with X-Men
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Not going to be a massive difference. A beat up x-men 1 would kick both those books butt long term in my opinion, but you have to not mind coverless comics
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have both, and I enjoy owning the GSX the most.

I remember not too long ago I had several ASM #129' and no one really cared. Then they got hot and I sold a couple. But I could see the Punisher going cold again. Not frigid, but cold.

There are no guarantees and any book could go hot or cold quickly. So which would you enjoy owning the most, no matter what it does financially?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Get 'em both now while you can. When the new price guide comes out in a few months you'll kick yourself.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
GSX is where the money is at Punisher only went up a bit in popularity with the Netflix shows
Post 8 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak At times it’s GSX other times ASM. If I dig deep I guess I lean towards GSX. Simply put, for me, it’s a difficult choice.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I'm am an amazing Spider-Man fan...and I still say GSX. Mostly because it's a better cover IMO. That's just me.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had a similar problem several weeks back...couldn't decide between Batman 227 and 251....found a way to own them both. I had to wait until eBay had 15-20% off coupons and e right auction....but it worked. Best decision.

Why not find a way to get them both in 7.0-8.0? Just a thought.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I have an ASM 129 in 7.5, so I’m looking for a GSX 1. I think either would be great. 🙂

I really want a Hulk 181 though.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Drogio I wanted to get highest grade I could afford. However if I drop to a 7.0-8.0 maybe both are obtainable. This is the reason I ask you guys. You help me see the forest thru the trees. Thanks
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
I have an ASM 129 in 7.5, so I’m looking for a GSX 1. I think either would be great. 🙂

I really want a Hulk 181 though.

I also have an ASM129, but am not looking for a GSX1, probably because I have a Hulk 181 (and I've lost interest in the mutant books).
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
@Drogio I wanted to get highest grade I could afford. However if I drop to a 7.0-8.0 maybe both are obtainable. This is the reason I ask you guys. You help me see the forest thru the trees. Thanks

You are on the right track getting the highest grade you can afford. Any near mint book is going to give you a much higher percentage return over time than any very fine book.

It’s a sliding scale from top to bottom grades. I have many low grade and coverless key books that have hardly appreciated at all in value over the years, while their near mint counterparts have exploded in value like a money tree

Imo as others have said go for the GSX in the highest grade you can afford 🍺
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

You are on the right track getting the highest grade you can afford. Any near mint book is going to give you a much higher percentage return over time than any very fine book.

Ah, but diversifying could give you a better return, should one of the books be stagnate and the othe takes off...it's like stocks, put all your eggs in one basket or spread them out? 🤔
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Ah, but diversifying could give you a better return, should one of the books be stagnate and the othe takes off...it's like stocks, put all your eggs in one basket or spread them out? 🤔

I understand both points. Id prefer to own both. The allure of a high grade ASM129 or GSX 1 is incredible. However I can’t do that if one is a 9.0. I may even be able to get both in a 7.5-8.0 grade for the same or close price of that 9.0...with a little help from eBay bucks and or 10% off sales. Should be an easier decision but I struggle with it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
GSX for sure, especially with Marvel getting back the rights to xmen. IMO punisher has peaked.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I already own ASM 129 so GSX 1 is on the list. I've always wanted both, but buying both in a 9.0+ is costly. I spent $900 on the ASM 129 (in 2015) and after a CPR, improved to 9.4 (CBCS/CGC but in Frankenslab) from 9.0 (CGC). I might try the same plan with the GSX 1. It's one of the only other books I'd like in high grade.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t know, when you pay retail it’s hard to figure appreciation. If you gamble, press, submit, you can pay 1/2 retail many times. More work though hunting
Post 20 IP   flag post
@doog I have zero clue on how preliminarily grade a book let alone if pressing will help. Then what if the book doesn’t improve with the pressing or not enough to make it a 9.0-2-4. I prefer to pay the extra to ensure my grade. And I’m not even mentioning incomplete or page damaged books that you (or more likely I) don’t see in photos. I get what you’re saying, I just don’t have the skill needed to purchase raw books.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I noticed that most of you prefer GSX #1 over a ASM 129. Should I consider say a X-men #101 9.4-6 in addition to the GSX #1 instead of a ASM 129 ? I will take all kinds of of other book suggestions. I just want to build a nice COLLECTION, these aren’t for flipping. Thanks.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
GSX. I sometimes forget I own the early Punisher issues.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicnewbie - Have you considered this Punisher?

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Giant Size because it's the 1st appearance is so many iconic characters.

House of Secrets 92 is another book to consider, though, it's especially hot right now so, not cheap.

Savage Tales 1 is another one I like for potential to grow. Man-Thing is under appreciated.
Post 25 IP   flag post
597870 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?