Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureQuestions

#0neperfectcomic5975

Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
Over on twitter Tom Brevoort recently asked fans to submit their #oneperfectcomic. The criteria was it had to be "single issue of any title that is in your eyes a perfect comcic, no story arc, no runs, just a single perfect comic."
I chose Uncanny X-men 205, partially because it was one of my first issues of x-men, but also because it introduced me to BWS art and blew my mind. It was a single story that set up so many storylines for the next few years and it showed that wolverine could be hurt and take a while to heal. The issue literally drops you into a storm and doesn't let up and even makes you interested in a character from Power Pack. Its still one of my favorite issues of x-men.

I'd like to see what some others feel is their #oneperfectcomic
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
Batman 251..."the jokers 5 way revenge" I believe was the title...Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams.

Also liked xmen 56...again Adams and Roy Thomas

DD #205 I think... "the deadliest night of my life"...I believe Harlan Ellison

ASM 121...obvious
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
For me, it's Batman & Robin vol. 2 #18 - a "silent issue."
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Here is mine. Great art and story. One of my favorites.

Here is a link to some of the reviews:

Barnes & Noble - Locke & Key Review
Post 4 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Swamp Thing #50. From the 1980s. The climax to the "American Gothic" storyline. The first time I read it, it just blew me away.

Post 5 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome...excellent topic!
While I have many Golden Age to choose from I believe my favorite
would be the 1973 BATMAN #253...Golden Age characters in a modern
format.

CC

mm
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
format.

CC

mm
@martymann That cover is amazing. I have always loved the look of the shadow
Post 7 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Savage Wolverine #23. It is a classic Wolverine tale and it is the only Wolverine issue written by author David Morrell (Rambo's father).

Post 8 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
format.

mm
@martymann That cover is amazing. I have always loved the look of the shadow

Love that book and cover. I've got, like, three or four copies of it now. (Trying to get a 9.8 out in the wild.)

My choice would probably be The Anatomy Lesson, where Alan Moore starts the transformation of Swamp Thing in issue #21. That story was an amazing turn for the character. One of those deeply original stories that's still such a logical progression from what came before, that it's hard to imagine it going any other way.

That, or Marvel Fanfare #15. Totally irrelevant, but fun.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I think Tom Brevoort is one of the biggest problems in modern comics.
I'm not even going to answer this lest I feed his delusions of competency. The garbage that Marvel has released under his watch is pathetic.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
DD #7 silver age.

nuff' said
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Any/all Miller scripted Daredvil's from the 1980's.

Same with Preacher.

To a lesser degree Ennis' Hellblazer runs.

Not gonna narrow it down to a "perfect" comic because IMHO, that cheats all of the others.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Mine would be Grim Jack #5

John Ostrander's "Grim" futuristic story telling, teamed with Tim Truman's Gritty Artwork is what grabbed me and brought me back in the hobby.

I credit these guys, and the independent titles from the mid-eighties for pushing the hobby to more mature and sophisticated storylines.

"Eternity Road" will always hold a special place in my collection.

The Splash page at the end is my favorite part, When Jericho makes his decloration with only a few simple words.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I'm not even going to answer this lest I feed his delusions of competency. The garbage that Marvel has released under his watch is pathetic.
@X51 I agree with opinion regarding most of present marvel,nor was I extolling the virtues of Brevoort. I simply liked what I saw on twitter when they did #oneperfectcomic, lots of intersting choices-thought I'd bring it up here.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
My first submission would be Flash of Two Worlds.
The scene of Barry sitting in Jay's house and talking to Jay for the first time seemed like every fan's dream of being able to talk to their own special hero (real or not) and not be treated like "a fan".
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
For me it was RAI #1. This book started me on a journey in the Valiant Universe. It lead me to Harbinger, Magnus, X-O, etc. After being out of comics for years I was hooked.

Post 16 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 I was a grim jack fan too, found it after the series had ended, but I think it was an amazing book. As far as Truman goes I was always more of a fan of Scout. Not always the best writing in that book but the art was incredible.
Post 17 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@BigRedOne1944 I was a grim jack fan too, found it after the series had ended, but I think it was an amazing book. As far as Truman goes I was always more of a fan of Scout. Not always the best writing in that book but the art was incredible.

Agreed!

CC

mm
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
@X51 I agree with opinion regarding most of present marvel,nor was I extolling the virtues of Brevoort. I simply liked what I saw on twitter when they did #oneperfectcomic, lots of intersting choices-thought I'd bring it up here.

I like different comics for different reasons. The last thing I want to see is Brevoort enlist a bunch of unskilled creators to copy comics I like and pass it off as their newest gimmick. His whole approach to what is acceptable is garbage. I realize that this is my own personal view and I'm not criticizing the discussion or people's motivation to participate in the discussion. I just want his name and input off of anything I read.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshel61
For me it was RAI #1. This book started me on a journey in the Valiant Universe. It lead me to Harbinger, Magnus, X-O, etc. After being out of comics for years I was hooked.

If the thread were about Jim Shooter being hired to create comics I'd have more to say on the subject. Jim's biggest talent was orchestrating a universe of interconnecting titles AND the creators employed to do the work. Some companies have hired him as a writer, but I'd like to see him in charge again. I'd like to see him build a long lasting universe and manage the properties, not act as a fill-in writer to lure older readers for a story arc or two. It literally takes about a year's worth of his comics to really see the genius of what he's trying to accomplish.
Post 20 IP   flag post
598065 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?