Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Death of Superman animated film preview5948

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I saw this posted a few days ago and thought it might be of some interest here. DC is (re)making a Death of Superman animated movie

Of course, the Death of Superman partly inspired Batman v Superman not too long ago but about 10 years ago they also made another animated movie, Superman: Doomsday which greatly abridged the Death and Return of Superman story

Superman: Doomsday, I believe was actually the first direct-to-video movie to be made under the current animated movie studio and also separate from all the previous DC Animated Universe continuity that began with Batman: The Animated Series. At first the studio produced stand-alone movies often based on popular storylines such as Justice League: New Frontier, Batman: Year One, and All-Star Superman.

Starting with the Flashpoint Paradox animated movie, the DC animated movies began sharing a continuity, though some movies, like Gods and Monsters and Gotham by Gaslight, still fall outside of it.

The new continuity has spanned Aquaman, Teen Titans, several Batman films, and even a Justice League Dark movie. It looks like they’re coming around to doing the Death of Superman in this new continuity.

The two main differences I’m seeing is that while Superman: Doomsday was pretty much a solo movie, The Death of Superman will have the entire Justice League participating. Additionally, while Superman: Doomsday crammed the Death and Return of Superman into one movie, The Death of Superman will be followed up by Reign of the Supermen next year, goving the story some much needed room to breathe.

While the cast looks good, I’ve never been terribly impressed with the production values of their direct-to video movies (and the animation in the new preview does little to change that opinion), and we have just seen the story told in Batman v Superman, not to mention the previous animated movie so I’d almost say that adapting another Superman or Justice League story would’ve been more prudent.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I haven't liked the animation style since they went away from trying to look close to the original art. I know with some, they can't match it, but this new style doesn't work for me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
and we have just seen the story told in Batman v Superman

No we did not. We saw an abortion of a storyline that was nothing at all even close to what happened in comics. Sorry for the strong language, but that was upsetting to see on the big screen

This sounds good, given that it seems they will be following the real story withe the Reign follow up!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
Honestly, I haven't liked the animation style since they went away from trying to look close to the original art. I know with some, they can't match it, but this new style doesn't work for me.

I feel the same, and often hope the story is good enough to overcome it. Today's animation is too choppy, like there are several missing frames between each one we see.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I feel similarly but I don’t think it’s necessarily an issue of “today’s animation” more than it is the fact that these are made-for-video productions that they’re churning out once or twice a year.

These movies have a budget of about $3.5 Million dollars, which isn’t all that much compared to something like the absolutely amazing, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, which was made for about $6 Million back in 1993, which is about $10.5 Million today after adjusting for inflation.
Post 5 IP   flag post
600653 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?