Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Ready Player One5909

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
We were invited to a preview last night. I just want to say how awesome this movie was. If you like pop culture, video games, comic books, go see this film. It was absolutely incredible!

I read the book years ago when it came out. While there are several differences, the spirit of the story is there. There is just too much from the book to cram into two hours. I'm sure many of the changes was because of royalty issues.

This will certainly go down as one of the great Spielberg movies.
Go see it!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts Whaat - you actually have available time and here I thought you were pressing items 16 hrs a day
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@poka The theater invited the entire CBCS office. I think 10 people went. The love of this movie was unanimous among everyone. You'll love it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts glad to hear. I've been a huge RP1 fan for a few years and I've been pretty anxious about the movie release. I already have tickets to see it twice this weekend so hopefully its awesome, I just hope it keeps the spirit of the book. Wonder if Ernest Cline would be interested in writing a comic sometime, ENDLESS possibilities.

Also for those that haven't read it yet. Do it. It's amazing. Or listen to the audiobook narrarated by Wil Wheaten, also awesome.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Steve who u got in final four
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I saw it yesterday too and loved it!!

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
There is just too much from the book to cram into two hours. I'm sure many of the changes was because of royalty issues.

I read the book as well and will be seeing the movie. But this was and is might greatest concern. They just can't put everything from the book into the movie. I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

If anyone hasn't read the book, I highly recommend it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The writer for Ready Player One is set to write the ROM SPACE KNIGHT MOVIE from HASBRO, BRAH
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Quote:
There is just too much from the book to cram into two hours. I'm sure many of the changes was because of royalty issues.

I read the book as well and will be seeing the movie. But this was and is might greatest concern. They just can't put everything from the book into the movie. I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

I was concerned with that too going in to it. But let me just say I was not left disappointed. Now there are some differences from the novel but it was done well and worked for me. You'll be surprised at just how much they do put in to this film
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Quote:

I was concerned with that too going in to it. But let me just say I was not left disappointed. Now there are some differences from the novel but it was done well and worked for me. You'll be surprised at just how much they do put in to this film

Not going to lie, of all the things in the book...I will be the most disappointed if Ultraman isn't in it.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos

Not going to lie, of all the things in the book...I will be the most disappointed if Ultraman isn't in it.

You should check out The Super Inframan by the Shaw Brothers.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics

Thanks. Good to know. Looking forward to seeing the movie.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I've not been to the Cinema for decades because I am a crotchety old sod who can't stand the talking, the loud eating and the pop slurping (and all the gerunding ).

However on reading the comments here I have just ordered the paperback.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
I've not been to the Cinema for decades because I am a crotchety old sod who can't stand the talking, the loud eating and the pop slurping (and all the gerunding ).

However on reading the comments here I have just ordered the paperback.

Nice! Let us know what you thought of it after you read it.
Ernest Cline also has a novel called Armada. Not as good (imo) but still a fun read. I believe he is working on Ready Player Two now as well.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
So the movie is not a complete departure from the book? When I saw the previews I thought the movie would be nothing like the book. I don't remember a giant chase seen happening in the book.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
A guy I worked with talked about the book for months and it was long before a movie was announced. He was very enthusiastic about the book but I didn't really like his summary of everything. It didn't sound like a movie I'd want to see. I don't think I'll see it. They probably did have to fork out a lot of money for royalties.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
So the movie is not a complete departure from the book? When I saw the previews I thought the movie would be nothing like the book. I don't remember a giant chase seen happening in the book.

The car chase replaces the "tomb of horrors" mission for the first key that was present in the novel.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector stanley1883 private msg quote post Address this user
ok so seriously, movies RARELY if ever live up to the books. this book was like crack for my wife and i. how does the movie rank? honestly? ive also heard T'challa's sister was in it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I finally watched Ready Player One over the weekend. Overall, it was a good movie and I enjoyed it. But, the book is much better, in my opinion. They had to cut a lot out from the book. I understand why. To make the movie more true to the book, (and the movie I would want to see) it would have been 5 hours long (maybe more).

If you enjoyed the movie, but haven't read the book, I would encourage you to read the book.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Movie was good; my niece said it is a lot different than the book.

Anyone seen this in 3D? Seems it would be cool to see it that way as 75% of the movie is digital.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Movie was mediocre some ole Spielberg crap...
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I was a huge fan of the book, and while I want to say it adhered to the "spirit" of the book, I found myself kind of bummed by all of the changes. I just don't understand some of the changes. I think excluding "Joust" and the entirety of the Rush 2112 album to be pretty giant omissions as they were super significant portions of the book. I admire the ambition of the film. I liked the "shining" sequence. I just wish it was a purer adaptation. I guess I felt a certain amount of "nerdrage/guy who read book rage"
Post 22 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Saw it last week, good flick
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector thpike private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts Just logged in to comment on this. I loved the book and loved that story. I knew that when I heard they were going to adapt it that it would have to be different. Just accepted that and was excited to see the movie still! I also saw a preview with a bunch of film review critics and they all loved it. Many of them were fans of the book. It's the same story but, like the games you grew up playing, it got to the end result just a little different. The same idea is there and I thoroughly enjoyed that. Definitely a movie I want to own to watch many more times.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector felixrunners private msg quote post Address this user
I loved the book and I thought the movie was good. A book like that would take 3 movies to make if it was an exact adaptation. I thought they did a good job cutting out extraneous stuff to fit it in one movie. But as was said previously, the movies rarely reach the awesomeness of the book.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelson
I was a huge fan of the book, and while I want to say it adhered to the "spirit" of the book, I found myself kind of bummed by all of the changes. I just don't understand some of the changes. I think excluding "Joust" and the entirety of the Rush 2112 album to be pretty giant omissions as they were super significant portions of the book. I admire the ambition of the film. I liked the "shining" sequence. I just wish it was a purer adaptation. I guess I felt a certain amount of "nerdrage/guy who read book rage"

This.

I couldn't help but feel disappointed. It was definitely better the 2nd time I watched it but still don't understand why some of the changes were made. The books entire inciting incident which hooked readers all over the world was thrown out the window, Joust definitely should have happened imho
Post 26 IP   flag post
598060 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?