Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

... About that Comic Book Bubble...5905

Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly. Same as pump and dump on stock market.. DYIR.. Before spending $100 on comic for appreciation check the distribution and cgc census..

Theres plenty of fools to purchase grossly over valued items for sale ..

That by no means indicates a bubble..the 90s was a bubble.. Where average sales numbers for a comic were multiple times higher than high sales comics today
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith What it does mean, though, is if people do want to get runs of ASM at some point, they'll have to pay for keys, but will be able to get large amounts of issues for CHEAP. Unlike 20 years ago, they're not at the mercy of whatever price a shop wants to charge them - they can just hit up eBay and it's all supply and demand.
Post 27 IP   flag post
But that's not a bust.. There's always been a dollar bin.. And thank god for ebay I can now source comics that I've always wanted even if they are only insignificant issues for the broader market ...

Edit: when I was a kid in the 80s my first comics were 20c to $1 readers I bought at the second hand bookshop at my local supermarket which was a lottery .. Ebay allows me to search for exactly what I want..

If comic sales do ever pick up ( as they are at terrible lows at the moment) then any key issue today will probably have eye watering prices compared to 90s keys like asm 300 or spiderman #1

That's the opposite of a bubble.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user

Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector spfd18 private msg quote post Address this user
I'll tell you one certain comic burst that will come to fruition in the not so distant future, will be with all those Stan Lee signed books. I think that when Mr. Lee passes away (and I don't wish any bad ill on anyone), the first people to sell their books for a premium; will make a lot of money in the first year or so. After that I think it's going to be realized that Stan Lee had literally signed over a million books, and the values will plummet. The only Stan Lee books that I see would retain value, if not increase; would be one of his original key issue books that he worked on and signed. As for me I'm not worried since I have a few of those books from the 1960's.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I think of those books with Lee's signature, those verified copies that have it on the 1st page will probably be more sought after in the future than the ones with his autograph on the cover.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I find it utterly amazing that no one has brought up the biggest difference between now and the 1990's. Everybody is taking a very American centric view. That is not the case in our community anymore. Google the largest comic cons world wide. You'll probably find 3, maybe 4 in the US. And no, SDCC is not in the top 3 of the lists that I have seen.

This hobby of ours is worldwide now in a MAJOR way!!! And don't worry about Stan Lee's signature not being worth anything after he dies. There are BILLIONS of people worldwide who have seen him in movies and understand his importance in the world of comics. Kids that are seeing the Marvel comic movies now will want Stan's signature in 20-30 years.

The US comic collecting hobby may take a hit in the future, but this is a global hobby now. It will have its' ups and downs, but our hobby is only growing worldwide every year. Start looking at the big picture. Who knows where we might be in 5 - 10 - 20 years?? Right now, it's all expectation. But personally, I don't see it being stopped.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I find it utterly amazing that no one has brought up the biggest difference between now and the 1990's. Everybody is taking a very American centric view. That is not the case in our community anymore. Google the largest comic cons world wide. You'll probably find 3, maybe 4 in the US. And no, SDCC is not in the top 3 of the lists that I have seen.

This hobby of ours is worldwide now in a MAJOR way!!! And don't worry about Stan Lee's signature not being worth anything after he dies. There are BILLIONS of people worldwide who have seen him in movies and understand his importance in the world of comics. Kids that are seeing the Marvel comic movies now will want Stan's signature in 20-30 years.

The US comic collecting hobby may take a hit in the future, but this is a global hobby now. It will have its' ups and downs, but our hobby is only growing worldwide every year. Start looking at the big picture. Who knows where we might be in 5 - 10 - 20 years?? Right now, it's all expectation. But personally, I don't see it being stopped.

So, the glass is half full.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Those Canadians have been coming to Seattle and taking boxes and boxes of books back through customs for years. Not sure what they do with them. The possibilities are few, seeing that itโ€™s Canada, and they never show up with books of their own.
I have seen some Mexican comics, however.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Definitely an excellent wrinkle added to the discussion. The World does still ebb and flow with the United States economy though probably not as tightly as in decades past. An ultra major meltdown would still have an impact. What's frustrating is our illustrious leadership could nurture our steady growth but they seem to always goof such as in the S/L, .com/stock, and the housing market ponzie screw ups. Moderation between Government and big industry is the key. Over regulation and under regulation have both devastatingly hurt the common folk in the past and even now.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:

exactly.. If rising middle class in Asia ever start really getting into collecting comic back issues ( speculative buying is hardly a foreign thing in that part of the world) then we will know what a bubble is.. And I'm quite sure some of us will be sitting pretty as a result.. Remember there are Disney in hk, Shanghai and Tokyo that may see the marvel comics expansions
Post 37 IP   flag post
@spfd18 Stan has signed a TON of books... Sure, maybe even a million! Who knows, it could even be more. The thing, though, is those signatures are spread between so many DIFFERENT books, it doesn't mean the signature is worthless. I think and many here think it's more valuable on books he contributed to (or characters he contributed more to), but some people don't care - they just want a piece of Stan history. After he passes away, we'll have countless generations to follow wanting his signature and not being able to get new ones, just like Kirby. That means a finite pool per book.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I agree way too many books signed by Stan Lee.. But I must admit, i look forward to the day raw covers are valued over signed covers every signed comic is one more defaced comic

Does anyone get their action #1 or af #15 signed.? .. Would anyone here have it signed if they owned it ? ...

In 100 years time would asm #300 in more desirable if Todd had scribbled on the front cover or would one that looked straight off the press be more enticing?
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfd18
I'll tell you one certain comic burst that will come to fruition in the not so distant future, will be with all those Stan Lee signed books. I think that when Mr. Lee passes away (and I don't wish any bad ill on anyone), the first people to sell their books for a premium; will make a lot of money in the first year or so. After that I think it's going to be realized that Stan Lee had literally signed over a million books, and the values will plummet. The only Stan Lee books that I see would retain value, if not increase; would be one of his original key issue books that he worked on and signed. As for me I'm not worried since I have a few of those books from the 1960's.

Soon as Lee dies, a glut of his signed books will hit the market , likely selling for less AT THAT TIME, because so many vultures will try to capitalize on Stan's death that eBay will be even more flooded with Stan gold label books than they are now.

IMHO, the only gold label books Stan's sig has actual added value to are keys that are coverless or at 2.0, tops.

Look at GPA on Avengers 1, x-men 1, FF 1 1 etc...CGC S'S at 2.0 or below....that shows the biggest pay offs.

Gimmick books like Marvel Premiere 19 (hulk 181 ad) not in high grade, will still be flippable, but "sell Mortimer sell".... applies to those books, NOW.

The ONLY silver age key books which will appreciate in value are books with very LOW amount of Lee gold labels.

Some idiot listed a Rawhide Kid 17 CGC SS Stan Lee like a day before or after Christmas via auction format.

Worst timing ever.

It went off way too cheaply, like $125.Which I would have paid more for.

Very few copies of that book....same with TGK 60 are in Lee gold labels.

Uncommon keys in low grade with Lee's signature will command a premium, soon enough.

X-Men 94 in 8.0 gold label....nope.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Wraith Some people say Amazing Fantasy 15 would depend on the grade... Higher grade, hell no... Lower grade, why not? I've seen them out there, though, on eBay and pictures of them on random sites. Most aren't signed, it seems, though.

Action Comics, though? No, not signed. Much harder anyway - different time.

If you take a McFarlane book, MUCH smaller pool of books for him to sign, so there's going to be a large number of ASM 300's signed, and the demand is up on that high print run book thanks to Venom. So... high demand now, lots of sigs, smaller demand later. No clue how time will treat that one.

Anywho, can't say what the overall market will think of signed books in a hundred years. We're a small sampling of people on this site, but sales NOW show books signed sell better (graded) than not signed. We can all agree that it's silly to get random books signed by Stan, but people do it. You're throwing away the signature. I don't regret having his sigs on the three books I do, and no one will make me feel bad for it - signed, two of them witnessed, one verified. I'm not a signature nut... My preference is to have one copy of anything I have graded clean, ungraded, and around for reading. With silver age books, that's not always going to be possible, like my Stan-signed ones, but maybe in time.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@thelastbard Your right the signature will be worth something, but I don't believe it will pull a premium price if it's not on a key issue. For instance I've seen New Mutants #98 (1st issue of Deadpool) signed by Stan Lee in Yellow labels on ebay and at comic cons selling for around $500-$700. Now this is a book that A). Stan never had a hand in creating the book. B). Nor did he create any of the characters in the book. Or one of those variants like a Jessica Jones #1 variant that has Jessica Jones and Stan Lee drawn on the cover. In my opinion, these books that thousands of people have gotten him to sign over the years, even though he had no hand in creating the book or the characters; are the ones that will devalue. And in my eye it will be these books that will take a massive hit in value over time. So the once $700 demand comes down to maybe $350 when its some random comic and Stan had signed millions of randoms. That's why I think the only safe investment would be in an Stan Lee original book, or you could make the argument for say a brand new spider-man book straight off the shelf of a comic store, that was signed by him; since he created the character.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Wraith that argue will rage on till the end of time between signed or raw! ๐Ÿ˜‚. However I must say, and just like another person on this page said earlier; signed books tend to sell for more and faster. And in the case of the Action Comics #1, and I wish I can find the article to link it to the page; a few years ago Sotherbeys Auction House in Manhattan sold a 9.Something graded Action Comic #1 that was signed by Siegel and Shuster for close to $5 million. If I find the article I'll link it to the page. So not necessarily will a signature devalue a high end comic.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith If I could get Steve Ditko to sign my copy of AF 15 to complete the holy Marvel trinity, you best believe I would and would pay damn good money!

Post 44 IP   flag post
@spfd18 Right, that's the thing. If his signature is worth adding $125 to the value of ANY book right now, for example... If it's a book right off the shelf - a no point signature - the value might change to a +$50 or something in a few years, even if he's not around, as opposed to if it's a key book or one that REALLY has a point.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@Odins_Raven I peed a little.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
@Wraith If I could get Steve Ditko to sign my copy of AF 15 to complete the holy Marvel trinity, you best believe I would and would pay damn good money!

on the cover?
Post 47 IP   flag post
@Wraith At least it's slabbed and safe. I couldn't help it.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
@Wraith Ideally right above Jack and Stan, not on the cover. But just like the title of the book, getting any kind of signature from Ditko is an amazing fantasy.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
@Wraith Ideally right above Jack and Stan, not on the cover. But just like the title of the book, getting any kind of signature from Ditko is an amazing fantasy.
true..
Post 50 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user

i just got one
Post 51 IP   flag post
598060 51 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?