Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Disappointed with CBCS5896

Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have a good place to look at the cost and time comparisons for both companies? I will most likely be submitting my first 5-10 comics this Summer and I still haven't decided who to go with. I plan on getting most pressed from CFP first. I believe my comics are in the Bronze-Modern (Iron Fist 14, New Teen Titans 2, NM 87,98 and a couple X-Men books).
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Does anyone have a good place to look at the cost and time comparisons for both companies? I will most likely be submitting my first 5-10 comics this Summer and I still haven't decided who to go with. I plan on getting most pressed from CFP first. I believe my comics are in the Bronze-Modern (Iron Fist 14, New Teen Titans 2, NM 87,98 and a couple X-Men books).

What I did was make a spreadsheet of their fees...they both have different structures and fees based on age, value, how fast you want the grading to be, and even return shipment options. Best do it yourself for your situation.

In the end I went with cgc many times because I had already invested in a yearly membership...but now that's expired I'm thinking cbcs all the way as I'm just looking at slabbing for my own collection, not resale...but right I'm spending my hard earned cash buying keys in slabs until cbcs tats get under control.
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
What difference does it make where CBCS was set up as long as they were in attendance and some one attended the show expressly to visit their booth? I mean I've never considered a booth that I wanted to visit to be out of my way as long as they were in attendance.

Also, the cgc usually tries to get as close to artist alley as they can (sometimes splitting their booth) as the signature program/modern submissions usually bring in a shit ton of submissions.

Sounds like some body making a mountain out of a mole hill to me.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
as long as CBCS has the TAT they have i am primarily using CGC.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I sub books to both companies, for various reasons.

Various reasons and the reasons vary on various books.

I will never go into further detail when speaking publically, anywhere/any kind, on what I said above.

A consumer/seller should educate themselves and once you do so....you will learn that it is foolhardy to slight/bash CBCS or CGC i.e. show preference over one firm or another.

That is a widespread problem across both companies' boards, let alone Facebook comic groups.

What I will say, as far as making suggestions is simply that have every book that you sub graded as quickly as possible i.e. quick stream and fast track add ons.

Beyond that, do your homework.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBE
I have also summited to CGC (Over 100 Silver age none below 9.0)and they do have better quality, shipping, Packing your Comic and Customer Service than CBCS. I'm just trying CBCS out for the second time and feeling like I made a mistake... I still have over 2,500 Silver Age books to go...

A lot of your posts on here seem to disparage third party grading.

I would be curious as to what your eBay seller ID is,and what your handle on the CGC Forum is, as well. ☺
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
Well we will find out soon I got a Silver Age High Grade Book back from CGC and I'm going to open it and have CBCS grade it... Let's see what happens...
Post 32 IP   flag post
@DrWatson It's simple with no debate, it shows who they cater more too. The Newer Collector of the VIntage Comic Book Collector, called strategy and I spoke with them about it and that is what they said CGC.CBCS...
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
What happened to my world? This "snowflake" world is hilarious.

"I want the tables I'm interested in, over here. And the tables I'm not interested in, over there."

"I want a bathroom within one minute of every table, and I don't want a crowd to be there. Unless I am selling something, then the more the merrier".

"I don't want to have to walk for five minutes, to find that hot book I am looking for".

"I want my books back from grading as quick as I can get my tires rotated at Tire Discounters. And I don't want Djurnovichski misspelled on my label".

"I want a $1,000 book for $800, and I want it guaranteed to never lose value. As a matter of fact. I want it to increase in value five fold in the next five years".

"When I have a problem (and I often do), I want it resolved quickly and some financial recompense for my trouble, anxiety and hurt feelings".

"I want my raw 7.0 pressed and given the grade of 9.2, or I will blast the presser and the grader on social media".

"I want ice water when I am in hell".

Oh, and one last thing. "I want Leah Remini when she was 32, begging me to leave my wife for her".

(Sorry honey. I would not take her up on it, but I would love her to ask)

Humans. BAH!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I think you'all are making this more than it is. Simply go with who you like. CGC has its qualities but I always go with CBCS for signature verification because CGC doesn't.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing

CBCS does pressing in-house. I would go with them.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Simple question.

Why did you submit to CBCS instead of CGC?
This

You sub $20,000 worth of books to CBCS, and then decide to ask this question?

Strange to say the least
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Simple question.

This

Strange to say the least

Cart before the horse?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@VCBE I'm confused by your thread title. I don't see anything stated in terms of what you're disappointed with. You mention a couple of things that you have questions about but nothing about poor service, slow turnaround time (we're currently at 12 weeks BTW) or any type of negative experience with CBCS. What is it you're disappointed with?

As far as booth location goes, you don't always get to choose where you are. Some promoters will accommodate requests but other times you get placed without any say in the matter.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@TimBildhauser...dont get dragged into this especially at 4am brother. I love that you're up responding and take pride in your work, but you'll pull your hair out trying to please every disgruntled individual.

You guys do a nice job....it's not perfect, but no company runs fully functional without flaw. Anyone can go anywhere and look for problems- i don't care if it's a comic grading company, my kids school or my marriage...if i WANT to find a problem I always will and eventually I'd have to realize the problem is probably me.

My point: @conditionfreak is right when he implies people have come to expect perfection without ever rolling up their sleeves to earn it. They seem to just demand it and hold everyone else accountable.
There wil always be issues with any company on some level IF you look hard enough ...but how many reps will come to the group as a whole and address the concerns on a regular basis (not to mention 4am)?

This is why I am still here ...nobody does this stuff and usually no body cares. You guys are always trying to fix what you can and manage what you can't and someone somewhere will always be in a mood to complain ( sometimes rightfully so); but, you try and that wins my vote.
Post 40 IP   flag post
and for the record...I am the antithesis of ass kissing..I despise the weakness in character it represents...I've always called it like it is even if it proves me wrong. Im just so very tired of whiny people. they take away from legitimate focus on legitimate issues.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher maybe he is up early to start working on the backlog
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher I just wanted to know what was disappointing since it didn't seem to be stated.

@poka At one point in time... I work remotely now. I don't sleep much. I enjoy working for CBCS but not enough to commute from Indiana to Florida. LOL
Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Let's talk about sleep. Or the lack thereof.

I never sleep more than a couple of hours at one time. I was asleep, but then woke up with "restless leg", and the only thing that seems to help is getting online and playing checkers.

So that is was what I am doing. But of course I checked in here to see if anyone else was up at 4 am. And sho enuff', there are some here.

I thought I was the unusual one. Turns out I ain't the only one. That makes me feel a little more normal.

(Me normal? HA! That'll be the day)
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Quote:
Simple question.

This

Strange to say the least

Cart before the horse?

More like complaining about nothing just to start a ruckus.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Simple question.

This

Strange to say the least

I wonder if he valued the books at $20,000 on his invoice...
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Let's talk about sleep. Or the lack thereof.

I never sleep more than a couple of hours at one time. I was asleep, but then woke up with "restless leg", and the only thing that seems to help is getting online and playing checkers.

So that is was what I am doing. But of course I checked in here to see if anyone else was up at 4 am. And sho enuff', there are some here.

I thought I was the unusual one. Turns out I ain't the only one. That makes me feel a little more normal.

(Me normal? HA! That'll be the day)

I have struggled with disruptive sleep patterns for at least 15 years. I never sleep more than 90 mins at a time and wake up wired..even when I take sleep meds. usually i can fall back asleep and grab a total of 4 or 5 hours to manage, but Ive learned some things in researching all this.

Restless leg is a beast...I call it lightening because I need to keep my muscles tight to manage it..if I relax the muscles the nerves fire at tremendous rates and only subside if I can keep the muscles relaxed through the 5 or 6 minutes of overload. its almost impossible..otherwise I have to get up and walk around. I happens when I snack late night..anything chocolate/ caffeine is usually the culprit.

The sleep patterns I've learned may be related to dopamine and multiple head trauma...I have a buddy in a study now to see. We both experienced multiple traumas over multiple years and without getting into white matter, they seem to think there is a correlation that affects sleep pattern. My fear is that prolonged sleep deprivation can also be linked to Alzheimers with excessive amyloid protein deposits (whatever those are) and since I dont remember my wedding day or a multitude of other things including the names of some family members and close friends...I get nervous about these things. But Im assured i don't have alzheimers so it must just be old age, years of drinking tequila and multiple concussions.

My wife loves it because every time she has an affair I forget...just kidding btw (I don't forget )

Im sure there are some docs on here that could clear up the sleep deprivation outside of stress, lack of exercise and diet...id love to figure out how to sleep 5 hours straight so I stop buying comics at 4 am
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
If i didn't take my Mirapex, my RLS would never let me sleep. It's a strange malady to be sure. On road trips with my wife the RLS kicks in, driving me crazy. I'll tell her to pull over to let me drive and when we switch, i'm all good. Go figure.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
If your judgement is coming from where the CGC vs CBCS booths were located I think you're looking too much into it.

As someone who works in marketing, these shows/cons are booked months in advance and its very competitive getting the prime spots. CGC for lack of a better term, has some shady business practices...it would not surprise me at all if they got the prime spot via their connections.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
I have struggled with disruptive sleep patterns for at least 15 years.

This is common . I hear this exact phrase a lot these days now. Turn off your smart phones and tv screens after 8pm. I know. It's impossible. But your sleep patterns will resume to normalcy after a few weeks. Or get a "blue filter". Make a huge difference.

Quote:
Oh, and one last thing. "I want Leah Remini when she was 32, begging me to leave my wife for her".

I laughed so hard when I read ConditionFreak's "Snowflake/Tylenol Speech" just now. My wife totally looks like Leah Remini lmao this line right here got me rolling right meow
Post 50 IP   flag post
I own 3 businesses and there are a few reasons why they are successful. Knowledge, Strategy and what best for the customers' needs. For my needs, it's not Signature on new books. I would never even buy one as I can careless about them. I want a company focused on MY NEEDS. Who is more focused on the CGC or CBCS, looks like CGC by the Strategy of their location...
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBE
I own 3 businesses and there are a few reasons why they are successful. Knowledge, Strategy and what best for the customers' needs.

You realize you're not the only customer CBCS has right?...I feel like you're forgetting that.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I still fail to see a problem here.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user

Giggity, noooo problems here
Post 54 IP   flag post
I don't care if I am or not their only customer. I'm looking out for me not them, what in the hell are you thinking? I want a business to look out for my needs if one does and the other doesn't who do I go with? CGC...
Post 55 IP   flag post
601275 123 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?