Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Disappointed with CBCS5896

Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a Comic Guy and the action for High-End Comic Books was at the North end... Every Major Seller was over there along with CGC. I spoke with CBCS and said why aren't they over there was the Major action was. He told me the artist are by them and that where they get all the action from. So does this meant they are more interested in Signatures that Grading Vintage Comic Books? Does CGC do more for the Vintage Comic Book Collector? I just took CBCS over $20,000.00 of Silver Age to Grade about an hour before then, was it a mistake?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
The short answer is no.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
What? Where? When? Who?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Wondercon... It just seemed CGC was so much more there for "MY NEEDS" that are for Vintage Comic Books and not for Signatures... They were right there in the middle of that mix...
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Took me a few minutes to decipher that, but I think you meant that CBCS has a booth by artist alley ( as they always do when they can) and CGC was set up closer to the big comic book dealers.

You are reading way too much into that. If CGC wasnt close to the alley, it wasnt on purpose.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
CBC ass

LOL! I think we all need a spell checker
Post 7 IP   flag post
Goddamnit man I corrected that so fast I cannot believe you managed to quote it. That’s what always comes out when I’m using speech to text 🤣
Post 8 IP   flag post
I don't know. I think CGC is more vested in Vintage comic Books than CBCS and Collectors trust them for it as I was looking at Comic Links last action, SAME book SAME grade and Same Page Color but CGC sold for about 25% more every time...
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Simple question.

Why did you submit to CBCS instead of CGC?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Considering that a signed book might involve someone from the CBCS booth getting up and going to witness the signature how can you blame them for setting up near artist alley?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
theres nothing new here...I think you're reading too much into this. I don't think CGC or CBCS is tactically positioning themselves to make a statement one way or the other and with regard to pricing and preference...it's just that: preference.

CGC has been around a long time and they were first...it's going to take time for the pendulum to swing back to the middle. Im amazed CBCS gets the respect they do for being so new...it tells me they're doing something right. A lot of people prefer CGC just because , while some like the style of the slab or maybe something they specialize in ..but people will always have a preference for one or the other and sooner or later the difference will be too small to decipher so it will simply be a matter of choice..just like why I chose a red masarati instead of the blue one (jk...i own a honda)
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
it's going to take time for the pendulum to swing back to the middle

It's gonna take a lot more than time.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
it's going to take time for the pendulum to swing back to the middle

It's gonna take a lot more than time.

maybe brother...who knows...there have been times where I felt like selling all my CGC slabs and there have been times where I feel like selling all my CBCS slabs...I now basically get them slabbed to protect them and sell easier than raws.

When I see 1940's books grade 9.4 after being wrapped in newspaper for 70 yrs, I know the slabs aren't necessary, but I have 2 kids and a dog and the slabs are a god send..and cool to look at
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I think it’s a perspective difference between the two companies. CBCS sees profit potential in signature verification & original art protection, so CBCS sets up strategically near Artists Alley. CGC sees profit potential in what basically amounts to vendor services; being “right there” next to high volume and/or high dollar comic vendors, waiting to provide slab services.

The issue I have with CGC is their attempt at monopolization. Signing exclusivity agreements w/ ReedPop, thereby locking CBCS out from floor space at certain events, limits consumer choice. I know CBCS did off-site grading for ECCC, and anyone who participated in that please let us know how that was; but having to go elsewhere & leave a show is an inconvenience at best. There were probably consumers who looked around, didn’t see CBCS on site, and took the path of least resistance by submitting books to CGC.

Either way, between the two companies, CGC has been around longer, but CBCS slabs are (for the most part) at or near-enough to sales price parity that the difference is negligible. The only slabs I’ve seen on eBay that take a heavy price hit are PGX; having read up on them, I consider that to be a legitimate response.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
It seems to me that the "value added" advantage of having a grading company setup at a show is so you can get signatures witnessed. You don't have to go to a show to get vintage comics graded. You can just put them in the mail to do that. Maybe I'm not understanding the issue.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I have also summited to CGC (Over 100 Silver age none below 9.0)and they do have better quality, shipping, Packing your Comic and Customer Service than CBCS. I'm just trying CBCS out for the second time and feeling like I made a mistake... I still have over 2,500 Silver Age books to go...
Post 17 IP   flag post
I think most people posting here have made up their minds that they prefer CBCS or at least consider them comparable to CGC. I will never use CGC again, so it's either CBCS or nothing for me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Why?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
It seems to me that the "value added" advantage of having a grading company setup at a show is so you can get signatures witnessed. You don't have to go to a show to get vintage comics graded. You can just put them in the mail to do that. Maybe I'm not understanding the issue.

This 👆🏻

Hence why both companies always try to be close to artist alley. Every time I’ve seen either of them set up away from the alley, the guys at the booth are conplaining that they arent close enough.

Its a giant pain to run across a venue for witnesses. Its not a pain to drop books in the mail lol
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
I think it’s a perspective difference between the two companies. CBCS sees profit potential in signature verification & original art protection, so CBCS sets up strategically near Artists Alley. CGC sees profit potential in what basically amounts to vendor services; being “right there” next to high volume and/or high dollar comic vendors, waiting to provide slab services.

The issue I have with CGC is their attempt at monopolization. Signing exclusivity agreements w/ ReedPop, thereby locking CBCS out from floor space at certain events, limits consumer choice. I know CBCS did off-site grading for ECCC, and anyone who participated in that please let us know how that was; but having to go elsewhere & leave a show is an inconvenience at best. There were probably consumers who looked around, didn’t see CBCS on site, and took the path of least resistance by submitting books to CGC.

Either way, between the two companies, CGC has been around longer, but CBCS slabs are (for the most part) at or near-enough to sales price parity that the difference is negligible. The only slabs I’ve seen on eBay that take a heavy price hit are PGX; having read up on them, I consider that to be a legitimate response.

At NYCC there location was a 5 minute walk away and was actually quicker to get to artist alley than being in the Javittis Center and having to weave across the building through the wave of people.

Also it was nice to not be bumped into while dropping off books.

Not to mention they had their own restroom in the off site location....clutch.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBE
Why?

If you're looking for a quick flip once slabbed, cgc is the better option as you'll get you books back faster, likely the grade will be 0.2 to 0. Higher (as cbcs seems to b a bit tighter on higher grade books) and even if you got the same grade (cbcs vs. cgc) you'll get about 10-20% more, depending on the popularity of the book.

It's very odd set of circumstances....I think it has more to do with cgc just has either more followers or just more general awareness.

Now if you're looking for the best looking slab (I.e., crystal clear and sans Newton rings) and you want tight/honest grading for something you plan on holding/admiring till death do you part, I think cbcs is the way to go.

Personally, I sell cgc and look to buy cbcs...because worst case if I want to sell it down the road I know I can send it in to cgc with a high probability of not only getting a better price when i sell, but may even get a grade bump. I've seen many examples of getting lower grades going from cgc to cbcs, but not sure I've come across a lower grade going from cbcs to cgc.

So decide where you fit, and submit accordingly.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

This 👆🏻

Hence why both companies always try to be close to artist alley. Every time I’ve seen either of them set up away from the alley, the guys at the booth are conplaining that they arent close enough.

Its a giant pain to run across a venue for witnesses. Its not a pain to drop books in the mail lol

👆 +1000

You end up carrying your comics above your head and elbows out like you are carrying Cleopatra
Post 23 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I use both. Stuff that I already have with cgc stay with cgc. Newer stuff and signature stuff go to cbcs. Ninety-eight percent of ungraded books will ALWAYS be with cbcs for grading.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBE
Why?

I don't agree with their grading. I've seen far visibly worse copies get higher grades that what my copies got. All I expect is consistency which they don't have.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have a good place to look at the cost and time comparisons for both companies? I will most likely be submitting my first 5-10 comics this Summer and I still haven't decided who to go with. I plan on getting most pressed from CFP first. I believe my comics are in the Bronze-Modern (Iron Fist 14, New Teen Titans 2, NM 87,98 and a couple X-Men books).
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Does anyone have a good place to look at the cost and time comparisons for both companies? I will most likely be submitting my first 5-10 comics this Summer and I still haven't decided who to go with. I plan on getting most pressed from CFP first. I believe my comics are in the Bronze-Modern (Iron Fist 14, New Teen Titans 2, NM 87,98 and a couple X-Men books).

What I did was make a spreadsheet of their fees...they both have different structures and fees based on age, value, how fast you want the grading to be, and even return shipment options. Best do it yourself for your situation.

In the end I went with cgc many times because I had already invested in a yearly membership...but now that's expired I'm thinking cbcs all the way as I'm just looking at slabbing for my own collection, not resale...but right I'm spending my hard earned cash buying keys in slabs until cbcs tats get under control.
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
What difference does it make where CBCS was set up as long as they were in attendance and some one attended the show expressly to visit their booth? I mean I've never considered a booth that I wanted to visit to be out of my way as long as they were in attendance.

Also, the cgc usually tries to get as close to artist alley as they can (sometimes splitting their booth) as the signature program/modern submissions usually bring in a shit ton of submissions.

Sounds like some body making a mountain out of a mole hill to me.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
as long as CBCS has the TAT they have i am primarily using CGC.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I sub books to both companies, for various reasons.

Various reasons and the reasons vary on various books.

I will never go into further detail when speaking publically, anywhere/any kind, on what I said above.

A consumer/seller should educate themselves and once you do so....you will learn that it is foolhardy to slight/bash CBCS or CGC i.e. show preference over one firm or another.

That is a widespread problem across both companies' boards, let alone Facebook comic groups.

What I will say, as far as making suggestions is simply that have every book that you sub graded as quickly as possible i.e. quick stream and fast track add ons.

Beyond that, do your homework.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600884 123 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?