Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkComics Modern Age

Got a surprise sketch today5895

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I received a gift today that TOTALLY blew me away. It all started at Bull City Comicon (Durham, NC) last November. A facebook (and forum) friend of mine, Andy Rexia, sent me a picture of a Captain America sketch cover done by Tommy Castillo that was for sale. Andy knew that Captain America is my favorite superhero and Tommy is one of my favorite artists. I had contacted another facebook friend of mine, Darryl Hayden, who was working the CBCS booth at the con, to see if he could find out who the seller was. (the seller was actually set up right next to the CBCS booth - LOL). But Andy had a friend who found the seller and he contacted me about 15 minutes before Darryl did.

Anyway, I contacted the seller via email and he still had it for sale. But, due to some medical bills, I couldn't commit at the time to buy it. I was hoping to maybe get it this summer if I had the funds available by then. That was the last I really thought of it. I had it in the back of my head, but I figured the odds of it being for sale when I could swing it wasn't very likely.

So imagine my surprise when a package from Andy shows up in the mail today!! I had NO idea what he had done!!! I opened the Gemini mailer (fellow comic book geeks can appreciate that fact) and was blown away by what I saw!!! It was the sketch comic!!!

I contacted Andy right away and he said that he arranged to meet with the seller at a con and he bought it for me!! I'm totally blown away by this and I'm still kind of processing it.

But there is one thing I want to say. Sometimes, we have people that we are connected to by blood, they may even be brothers or sisters, who we just clash with. The love is there and will never go away, but personality differences are just too intense to allow any kind of close relationship. Then, we can have people in our lives, who we have never physically met, that can understand us and truly get us. These people become friends and can be a great support, even if they don't realize it at the time.

I've been blessed to have made several great friends through comic book collecting and social media. I may never meet Andy in real life, but I had to share this story and say "Thanks" to him. I'm humbled at his generosity and renewed in my faith in mankind.

This all may sound corny to a bunch of people, and if you don't get it, you probably never will. But honestly, if you are reading this, I hope you get it!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
killer!
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
There are some really good folks around here and in our hobby; AR is certainly one of them.

Cool story 🍺
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Rob is absolutely a great guy! I hope to actually meet him in person soon.
PS - I think he may have a birthday coming up.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I got a surprise sketch on my face when I drank too much last month.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
There are some really good folks around here and in our hobby; AR is certainly one of them.

Cool story 🍺

I concur.....I've seen plenty of those types of folks on this forum.

you know who you are!!

:o)
Post 6 IP   flag post
601226 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?