Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch CoversQuestions

Recommended Inkers and Colorists?5856

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
With my latest Marvel Authentix cover currently in grading at CBCS, I've started thinking about the one I'm gonna do next:

Right now I'm thinking it'd be neat to find someone to ink it and then another to color Spidey and maybe add a bit of a splash of color to the sky. I wanted to ask if anyone here can recommend people they've worked with for these tasks.

I'm considering Joe Rubinstein to ink since he does really great work. Ideally I'd get Klaus Janson to ink it since he's inked a lot of Romita's work and does an amazing job but he seems a little out of my price range at the moment.

As a colorist, I was thinking Peter Steigerwald as he colored (and inked) Romita's work on DKR: The Last Crusade. I'm not sure how much he normally charges so that's a big question mark.

Of course, I may just stumble on an unknown artist whose style I like and just have them do it like I've done with my previous books but a list of recommended inkers and colorists could be helpful later and to others looking to add a finishing touch to one of their sketches.

Thank you!
Post 1 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Cool idea, but is the cover stock thick and porous enough for the markers and ink to be done on it?
Post 2 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Yup, I’ve already had 2 done, one in Copics

And one with paints

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
My vote is for Rubinstein. Message him directly on FaceBook. He's easy enough to do business with. I thought Janson was a little high as well. He wanted $400 to ink my sketch.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@AndyRexia lol it was precisely your post that scared me off of Janson
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite PM'ing you
Post 6 IP   flag post
@AndyRexia Thanks, man!
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool. I also recommend Rubinstein. He's awesome.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Holy smokes..

May buy a couple of blank covers of future keys in case I ever win lotto.. Those are amazing!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Thanks, Steve! Looks like Rubinstein is getting pretty good recommendations. I’d still like to hear other names, if not for this piece then for others down the road

@Wraith lol thanks, they were part of the Marvel Authentix line back around 1999 where they showed the creation process of some of their new #1s. A few pages were in the pencil stage, a few more were inked, with the last few being finished colors. The covers were either pencils or inked but on a card stock similar to modern day blank covers.

Most are pretty cheap. I think the Daredevil and Spider-Man ones are the more expensive ones going for $60+ each when you can find them. The Spider-Man ones often come signed or with sketches in the box so sellers raise the prices significantly

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting! I never would have thought to do that! That DareDevil.... wow...
Post 11 IP   flag post
I also started stashing some blank covers for the same reason. My first "dream" sketch I hope to be done by Art Adams... Haven't asked him a price yet (gulp).
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I really love Stuart Sayger art. He could probably do you some justice on those covers.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@thelastbard lol good luck! Though sometimes you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I recently got a sketch cover by the legendary Greg Hildebrandt, who has done paintings for everything from Lord of the Rings to Star Wars and comics, and what he asked for a full-figure sketch was incredibly reasonable.

As for the Daredevil, I had the same artist take a crack at the back cover as well:

@kaptainmyke Staurt’s a great guy and I love his work! I probably won’t ask him to do these books for me only because I have a big, multi-cover project planned for him and his unique art style
Post 14 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Some artists are just plain fair. They have a sign up sheet before the convention, set price, no muss, no fuss, and also no hype. I like that. I mean, honestly, few artists get paid the INSANE page rates you see posted around online. It's usually the flavor of the month artists. Then, there are people like Alex Ross who do full paintings and can charge $5000 to hand you original artwork - that's just how he rolls, and if you can afford it, more power to you!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@thelastbard Yeah, Greg is one of the good ones. I mean if you want a fully painted piece his rices will rival Ross but the fact that he’ll take the time to do sketches for a very reasonable price is great for someone who’s been a fan of his since childhood. sure I’d love to commission a painting from Hildebrandt (and Ross) some day but I at least have my sketch to hold me over

Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Wait wut

You can get Alex Ross to do a painting for 5k?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Scott Hsnns is the man.

I think he has inked more books than anyone else.

He is known as an inker but has done a couple awesome sketches for me at conventions.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Peter Steigerwald is literally one of my favourite colorists. He can make anything come to life

Post 19 IP   flag post
Has anyone worked with Jose Varese before? His coloring work looks absolutely amazing!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Mark Morales he’s done inking on Spiderman/Deadpool so he has experience with the character...
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of on topic.. Has anyone seen the upcoming spawn #286.. "we believe in colourists" "appreciation variants" .. One mcfarlane sketch, 7 different colourist interpretations. ( 8 total covers for the issue)

https://thechicocomicspage.com/2018/04/03/webelieve-in-colorists-appreciation-variants-display-radical-impact-colors-have-on-artwork/
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Cool idea but not a great sketch for this purpose IMO.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@teacha777 Thanks! I’ll check out his work!

@Wraith That’s actually really cool! I’m surprised it’s taken this long for a company to do something like that.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

He actually contacted me once and wanted to ink a piece of art I own and had posted as a scan online. Money never came up, but I assume he wasn't donating his services. I was tight on disposable cash at the time and I never followed up.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I like JayJay Jackson's coloring, but I don't know if she colors much anymore.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

He actually contacted me once and wanted to ink a piece of art I own and had posted as a scan online. Money never came up, but I assume he wasn't donating his services. I was tight on disposable cash at the time and I never followed up.

What was the work he wanted to ink?
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Nei Ruffino or Sabine Rich
Post 28 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics Billy Tucci actually recommended Nei Ruffino when I was first planning the Daredevil cover. I tried contacting her but never got a response but plenty of people seem to have great experiences with her. I’ll probably try contacting her again at some point. I know she’s done colors for J. Scott Campbell so that’s definitely a plus.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@JLS_Comics Billy Tucci actually recommended Nei Ruffino when I was first planning the Daredevil cover. I tried contacting her but never got a response but plenty of people seem to have great experiences with her. I’ll probably try contacting her again at some point. I know she’s done colors for J. Scott Campbell so that’s definitely a plus.

Her work is fantastic if you ask me; she'd be tops if I was putting together a creative team. Definitely check out Sabine's work too, she's done some covers with Campbell also, and is right on par with Ruffino in my opinion
Post 30 IP   flag post
600715 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?