Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Signature Witnessing Pricing5801

Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like I'm late to the party on this one but I got a witness at RICC and wasn't charged outside of the $5 when we wrote the order up.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Lewdog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Looks like I'm late to the party on this one but I got a witness at RICC and wasn't charged outside of the $5 when we wrote the order up.

So you pay the $5 there, or do they just add it to your order and charge your card on file when they get it and process them?
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Always zero dollars for a witness, the slab and grading fees are as normal paid either at submission or by a credit card on file.

The ONLY time I have ever paid “witnessing fees” was when I had to leave the con without getting the sigs I wanted on two books, a witness offered to do them for me the next day and add them to my invoice. He asked for $5 for his troubles, I threw him a $20 instead.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewdog
Quote:

So you pay the $5 there, or do they just add it to your order and charge your card on file when they get it and process them?

The $5 fee is added to your invoice. You pay nothing at the convention, unless the artist, writer, or editor that is signing your book has a signing fee, then you pay him or her for their signature. Some will charge more for witnessed signatures, and some are still free. I always create my invoice for CBCS online and include the signatures I plan on getting. I bring two copies of the invoice with me (CBCS keeps one) so if something changes at the show, you can indicate it in writing on both copies.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Call me the resident skeptic or cynic. Whatever.

And I will say up front I have never used an AW in person at a con.

But I am having a hard time understanding several aspects of this situation.

#1. It is second hand, and things often get lost in relating events in a story.

#2. What is Beckett doing at a comic convention? Yes, I know they now own or control CBCS. But CBCS is a separate entity, is it not? That is pretty hands on for a corporate ownership.

#3. How is it that names are not exchanged between those seeking witnesses and those who are witnesses? Or, maybe they were but it was left out of the passed on story.

#4. What is/was the standard procedure, before Beckett entered the picture, for CBCS when the employee working the booth is busy writing up orders? You wait? You just come back later? You are just chit out of luck? When I attended the Cincy Con a couple of years ago, there were two employees in the CBCS booth. One male and one female. One doing orders and the other doing the running around stuff. And there was possibly a third employee doing stuff in the background, but I can not swear to that as I never conversed with that person.

#5. Is there a receipt when dealing with obtaining a witnessed signature? Do AW's have business cards routinely?

I am not casting aspersions. I am just trying to understand in preparing for my next con visit.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector WildcatRick private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_Comics
For the record, you should NEVER be charged a witnessing fee if you get a witness from the booth. The $5 fee is a signature upgrade charge, and not a witnessing fee. You pay this even if you are your own witness.

Did your friend end up not submitting due to this?

I am Lewdog's buddy he is speaking of. I just sent you a PM.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This is why I prefer Faciliators and facebook via messengers. Everything is logged and in writing with screenshots and paypal transactions.

Forgot all this "he said, she said" bs and forget red labels. Yellow labels are paramount when dealing with witnesses and cons. Best to leave it to the professionals. Forget all this self witnessing and "slip me a 20" nonsense. It's nonsense, I tell you - nonsense!

Too many chiefs, not enough indians imo
Post 32 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

For the record, if I had gotten a red label on this book I would have literally died. Twice.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak - I have gotten Gold labels for books that I have submitted to CBCS at three conventions. From my understanding of this option, you can either go to the CBCS booth and have one of the representatives follow you around as you get your books signed (and then the books are submitted for grading), or you can use any authorized witness that is at that event, and they will follow you around while you get your sigs and stay with you until you submit your books.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@conditionfreak - I have gotten Gold labels for books that I have submitted to CBCS at three conventions. From my understanding of this option, you can either go to the CBCS booth and have one of the representatives follow you around as you get your books signed (and then the books are submitted for grading), or you can use any authorized witness that is at that event, and they will follow you around while you get your sigs and stay with you until you submit your books.

Surely a witness that follows you around, gets paid more than 5 bucks.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak
They dont actually have to follow you around. You can wait on line and when you are close to the front, call them and they will meet you. At least thats how I've done it when I was an AW.

-I've never charged anyone anything.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewdog
Quote:

Sorry, that wasn't very clear, I paid cash at the event for my whole order but the $5 would have simply been an added charge, not required for the witness.
Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Surely a witness that follows you around, gets paid more than 5 bucks.

Not if you grab a witness from the cbcs booth; its free (well I’m assuming cbcs pays them something).

Once the books are signed you then go back to the booth with them, hand write an invoice on triplicate form, and submit your books as normal.

If there is nobody around to witness you can either wait, or find an independent AW that’s at the show, they usually charge $5/sig (as cbcs isnt footing the bill for anyone not working the booth)
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Call me the resident skeptic or cynic. Whatever.

And I will say up front I have never used an AW in person at a con.

But I am having a hard time understanding several aspects of this situation.

#1. It is second hand, and things often get lost in relating events in a story.

#2. What is Beckett doing at a comic convention? Yes, I know they now own or control CBCS. But CBCS is a separate entity, is it not? That is pretty hands on for a corporate ownership.

#3. How is it that names are not exchanged between those seeking witnesses and those who are witnesses? Or, maybe they were but it was left out of the passed on story.

#4. What is/was the standard procedure, before Beckett entered the picture, for CBCS when the employee working the booth is busy writing up orders? You wait? You just come back later? You are just chit out of luck? When I attended the Cincy Con a couple of years ago, there were two employees in the CBCS booth. One male and one female. One doing orders and the other doing the running around stuff. And there was possibly a third employee doing stuff in the background, but I can not swear to that as I never conversed with that person.

#5. Is there a receipt when dealing with obtaining a witnessed signature? Do AW's have business cards routinely?

I am not casting aspersions. I am just trying to understand in preparing for my next con visit.

My buddy that had this issue is in the forum now. The CBCS booth worker here in this thread admitted a Beckett person was at the show.

You probably shouldn't assume my story is wrong just because it is secondhand, when one of the people that was part of the event confirmed some of what I said, and pretty much all that he could have confirmed.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Oh, nevermind. Don't really care.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Lewdog I think @conditionfreak I actually vouching for your side, he's questioning the weird business motives of Beckett and CBCS from what I can surmise
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
I am at a show but wanted to point out that Beckett does attend comic conventions, as they tend to have impressive media guest list. Lexington was a very successful show for CBCS and Beckett.

The issue will be corrected and shouldn’t happen again. Now if anyone experiences this in the future please question a CBCS worker and or report it to CBCS.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_Comics
I am at a show but wanted to point out that Beckett does attend comic conventions, as they tend to have impressive media guest list. Lexington was a very successful show for CBCS and Beckett.

The issue will be corrected and shouldn’t happen again. Now if anyone experiences this in the future please question a CBCS worker and or report it to CBCS.

This situation has totally turned me off from CBCS now. Especially given that this happened and now CBCS is not going to do anything about correcting the damage it caused.

I guess it is time to share the story with some of the large Facebook groups I'm in, to show CBCS has some crooked people working for them, and then when it is pointed out they don't at least give some compensation for the occurrence. BAD BAD BAD customer service.
Post 43 IP   flag post
This Beckett guy tried to get extra money out of my buddy on Sunday... and I just brought this up, otherwise it might keep happening. So how many people might have gotten scammed by the guy on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday that fell for the guy asking for money they didn't need to pay? That's just sad.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Has your friend contacted Mark Roman about this?

If not that is the next step, as you gotta talk to him.
Post 45 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I've already emailed Mark about this thread. He is at a show and will resolve it as soon as he can. His hands are tied on weekends, especially when he is working a show, so give him a few days.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderHam private msg quote post Address this user
yea you gotta give CBCS a chance, before you threaten them lol. You don't even bring it up will the weekend after, and now want results in 24 hours? You got to give them a chance guys.
Post 47 IP   flag post
It is hard to get a hold of anybody on a weekend, honestly. Except church goers selling that Jesus Insurance.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderHam
yea you gotta give CBCS a chance, before you threaten them lol. You don't even bring it up will the weekend after, and now want results in 24 hours? You got to give them a chance guys.

I didn't know about the incident until recently, and my buddy didn't know all the prices listed by CBCS, and only had an idea of how it was supposed to be. That's why I just brought it up recently... not to mention I was dealing with some personal stuff the last few days.

Now with that said, how would you feel if a company had some scam artist like this guy working for Beckett at the show did this to you, and the company said the same thing, "Hey it shouldn't have happened, it won't happen again, thanks for letting us know... have a great day!" You can't hop in a time machine and go back to the convention with the same books that are already signed and start all over.

If you are a collector you know how big of a difference there is between a raw signed book, or a raw book with an original sketch on it, with that same book slabbed with a yellow label.
Post 49 IP   flag post
I am sorry but after a while this starts to sound like grandstanding. I get you guys are upset, but my god give them time to see what happened and figure out what can be done before you damn them.
If you want this resolved contact Mark Roman from CBCS if you haven’t already As many have already told you this is the next and only step. You bring it up on a Friday after hours and are upset because they didn’t correct it in a day? Or a weekend? Give them a chance!!
Your also complaining about the guy at the booth thanking you for bringing it to their attention?? Why do you assume that’s the end of it? Especially when you know you have to go off this board and contact someone not in this conversation? This won’t get resolved on this message board. Good luck!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
I am sorry but after a while this starts to sound like grandstanding. I get you guys are upset, but my god give them time to see what happened and figure out what can be done before you damn them.
If you want this resolved contact Mark Roman from CBCS if you haven’t already As many have already told you this is the next and only step. You bring it up on a Friday after hours and are upset because they didn’t correct it in a day? Or a weekend? Give them a chance!!
Your also complaining about the guy at the booth thanking you for bringing it to their attention?? Why do you assume that’s the end of it? Especially when you know you have to go off this board and contact someone not in this conversation? This won’t get resolved on this message board. Good luck!

The guy in this thread is the CBCS employee from the convention. In most companies, when you contact the person you dealt with firsthand, THEY are the ones that should bring the issue to the attention of the higher-ups. That's how chain of command works.

Secondly, the guy from the convention in this thread, was the one that said things had been resolved ("The issue will be corrected and shouldn’t happen again. Now if anyone experiences this in the future please question a CBCS worker and or report it to CBCS." ). He also didn't tell my buddy to contact Mark Roman in his response to him. He basically told him it was his fault for not coming back to him and asking why the Beckett guy was asking for fees that he shouldn't be charged for. It's called victim blaming. He only said he needed to contact Mark Roman after my post about taking this issue to social media. He might be a good guy, but this is definitely not what I would expect of one of the top, and only businesses that perform this type of service. I don't think some people here understand how big of a deal this could possibly be. This Beckett guy that worked the show did this to my buddy on Sunday, and I am the only one that has said something about it. So how many people at the show on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday did the Beckett guy deal with in the same way, that didn't know better and actually paid him the extra money they weren't supposed to? At $20 each signature per book...

When I had issues with the pressing on my order, Mr. Ricketts told me he would contact customer service and get back with me. I also called customer service myself. I had misread the pressing chart, and then how fast pressing on a 2-Day Modern worked was explained to me. *I* admitted I read it incorrectly. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong...
Post 51 IP   flag post
Ok you are grandstanding.
Instead of attacking people who are trying to help, and assuming crap why not do something productive?
Why are you attacking the booth worker? He had no clue until a week later?
How about you Don’t write another huge reply and contact the only person who can do anything about it. The person everyone keep directing you to?
Then post a big reply and let us know what happened.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ok you are grandstanding.
Instead of attacking people who are trying to help, and assuming crap why not do something productive?
Why are you attacking the booth worker? He had no clue until a week later?
How about you Don’t write another huge reply and contact the only person who can do anything about it. The person everyone keep directing you to?
Then post a big reply and let us know what happened.

Grandstanding? Have you ever worked in a retail or customer service type of job? You don't contact the head guy the first time, you contact the employee you dealt with first... and then THEY are supposed to escalate the issue up the chain. The booth worker DIDN'T tell my buddy to contact Mark Roman. He didn't say it until AFTER my post about taking the issue to social media.

I brought the issue up here first, to get information to make sure the action of the Beckett guy was wrong first. If not posting here, then I wouldn't have found out about that... and CBCS wouldn't have even known what happened.

Most companies will not even deal with your issue until you have talked to the person you dealt with first. There is a reason there is a chain of command in a company. It's to weed out issues that are important enough to take up there time.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Seriously since your friend took the books with him, it falls into Mark Romans hands. Not saying anything bad on your friend, but now it’s in Marks hands. He is the head of that department. Not that no one wants to help him, but only one can.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Seriously since your friend took the books with him, it falls into Mark Romans hands. Not saying anything bad on your friend, but now it’s in Marks hands. He is the head of that department. Not that no one wants to help him, but only one can.

Thought I'd give a little update. My friend contacted Mr. Roman, who apparently didn't really read his email, or somehow he wasn't well informed about the situation from employees. He made a very small offer for the "mix-up" that in no way reflected the seriousness of the issue.

Let's look at this a minute. Once the books are submitted the signature witnessing would have been $5 per book and a yellow label, and if I'm reading correctly the Kyle Sparks sketch would have been $5. Now however if my buddy sent his books in after the fact, it would be $25 per signature and a red label. Since my buddy was going to get 8 books done, you are talking about a $20 difference each book, plus the value and demand for yellow label books is MUCH higher than for red label ones.

The consolation offered to my buddy is not even in the ball park of what this Beckett employee cost him. My buddy plans to call Mr. Roman to see if he might have misunderstood exactly what happened, and to see if he can work out a better resolution.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600811 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?