Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS at Toronto Comicon this weekend!!!5773

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for showing Canada some love!!!

Now I have a problem...was thinking of getting a few books signed by Chaykin but decided against it with the change in AW I wasn't going to get to 5.
So I was going to save $$ and get a sketch instead...now maybe I can do both - don't tell the wife!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I won't tell her as long as you don't.

We've been attending a number of the Canadian conventions for the last couple of years. Both Toronto shows that Fan Expo promotes, Vancouver over in B.C. and Montreal. We'll be at the Calgary show in April as well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@TimBildhauser I have been wanting to do that for some time. My dad was born and raised in Canada. So I have been there many times. It got really crazy going across the bridge or tunnel after 9/11. We would visit my Grandma twice a month. My wife and I had our homeymoon in Nova Scotia. It was one of the most beautiful places that I have been to. I have also been to the Montreal Grand Prix F1 race which was sweet.I want to do Toronto Comiccon in near future.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips The Spring show (Toronto Comic Con) is smaller but more comic focused, whereas Fan Expo Canada in the Fall is much larger but there's a lot more miscellaneous pop culture thrown into the mix. The guest list is usually good either way but you'll see considerably more creators at the Fall show. I recommend either one, I always enjoy both of them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be there on Sunday. @TimBildhauser stood in line with me for a couple hours last fall to get Bruce Campbell's sig on my Army of Darkness # 1

Post 5 IP   flag post
Im there tomorrow for sure...trying to get a Howard Chaykin sketch in my book...no idea what he charges for full body sketches though.

Might also get a Dave Dorman sketch if i have left over $$
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
@KatKomics I won't tell her as long as you don't.

We've been attending a number of the Canadian conventions for the last couple of years. Both Toronto shows that Fan Expo promotes, Vancouver over in B.C. and Montreal. We'll be at the Calgary show in April as well.

I see you will also be at the Niagara Falls convention!!!

Also much smaller but will have Steranko and Neal Adams and a few other good guests!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Somehow ended up 1st in line on day 1!!
Chaykin is not doing full figures (saves me some $$) but head shots are only $50 - got two, Dagmar and Reuban Flagg

Was also a really entertaining and interesting fellow to listen/talk to - basically hung around his booth most of the night.

Never seen so many Star Wars #1-10's in one place - person after person getting them signed

Not sure I want to go back tomorrow despite having a 3 day pass.

Might see about a Dave Dorman sketch - apparently 2 ahead of me -might see if he can get to me on Saturday - I am not going back for Sunday!

Not a lot of room on my comic budget only 1 book I kind of liked but $370 for Lois Lane #70 seems a bit high for what it is.....that being said it is probably the best copy I've seen in a while and is on my list...

Must be getting old (is 44 old??) some of the booths I have most of what they have on their walls - sick of this Venom stuff - the books are basically worthless like Lethal Protector, but I guess people are willing to pay!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ooo forgot to mention that I got the print in from the 1973 ACBA sketchbook signed by Chaykin...now have Trimpe, Neal Adams and Chaykins prints signed from that portfolio with Steranko to sign in June....
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BM_Cruz private msg quote post Address this user
@katcomics any GA mega keys on those walls at the con?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Not many mega keys....the newer vendors seem to have bronze and modern. Harlee is there with his usual decent selection....just a bit over priced. A few have silvers tgat are ok...did like this one guy with a bunch of 3to5 graded wierd science Wood Felstein Frazetta era covers...didnt see what he was asking...but even those i had a smattering of what he had already and in similar or better condition...will pay more attention tomorrow
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics - Sounds like you are having a good time, Josh. Chaykin is an interesting guy. He only basically signs his initials now, but he will definitely talk to you for a while. When I saw him in CT last summer, there was a red-headed woman with him and I was trying to figure out if it was his daughter or his girlfriend. Here’s his signature on an American Flagg #1. I believe you own it’s twin brother.

If you don’t get that LL, you might be able to talk me out of mine. It isn’t high grade, though.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Lucky for me Dorman still had a sketch spot open...150 for sketch saves me from spending 370 on LL70...although i think i could talk then down a bit. I recognize the booth guy from tv. He buys storage lockers and sells the content...so i know he basically has nothing into the book
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Lucky for me Dorman still had a sketch spot open...150 for sketch saves me from spending 370 on LL70...although i think i could talk then down a bit. I recognize the booth guy from tv. He buys storage lockers and sells the content...so i know he basically has nothing into the book
Was he a bit heavy set and was the guy who bought the comic book storage unit and the contents of that crazy abandoned hoarder house? He had some really awesome books he was showing on You Tube. Did he have a lot of books at the show?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Was he a bit heavy set and was the guy who bought the comic book storage unit and the contents of that crazy abandoned hoarder house? He had some really awesome books he was showing on You Tube. Did he have a lot of books at the show?

Hey...i dont want tp call him a kettle..but yes a bit heavy set
..not sure about that episode..always wears a dundee or cowboy style hat and had mustach and goatee...grey hair?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I think it is a different guy. I eill find out.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Go to "Bargainhuntersthrift" on You Tube.This guy buys storage units and collections from hoarders, etc. He finds some amazing stuff.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Found it - my guy is from Storage Wars Canada - Paul Kenny - 110% the guy at this convention.

Like you say - they find some amazing stuff in old storage lockers!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Found it - my guy is from Storage Wars Canada - Paul Kenny - 110% the guy at this convention.

I thought that was him, but I couldn't think of his name and I wasn't going to go up to him and ask if that's who he was.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

hm
Post 20 IP   flag post
598059 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?