And the winner is....(red goblin debut)5764

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
What is the significance of ASM 263?

It is the first appearance of a person appearing in ASM 799

And that said person is "playing dress up," putting on a costume that will raise some eyebrows...I still say he's going to a cosplay event...and this is not a big deal (snicker).

"Nothing to see here...keep moving along..."
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
What is the significance of ASM 263?

It is the first appearance of a person appearing in ASM 799

Thanks! 😀 I didn’t know that.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
It went from a $1-$4 book to $20+ overnight

One is about to end on eBay...near mint $40 shipped 5 minutes remaining.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
It went from a $1-$4 book to $20+ overnight

One is about to end on eBay...near mint $40 shipped 5 minutes remaining.

Even more crazy
Post 104 IP   flag post
We need CFP to come back with a new crazy thread
Post 105 IP   flag post

Quote:
We need CFP to come back with a new crazy thread

BTW...ASM 263 is such an FUGLY cover...flip em if you got em.
Post 106 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
no we dont
Post 107 IP   flag post
Grounds for premabanment.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Well - things are surely crazy
Post 109 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
no we dont

Go for it and see if I care
Post 110 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
no we dont

Go for it and see if I care

Not sure I understand what you're saying.

I was merely warning others that if someone started a "crazy" thread, the mods wouldn't be thrilled...I think cfp got a nice vacation out of it. nothing directed towards you. Sorry if you felt that it was as I accidentally referenced your response in mine.
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:

Speaking of crazy...I just realized where I thought I'd closed a deal on ASM 263, it was actuall stolen out of my inbox the instant before checking out. Literally seconds...when will I learn to complete the sale for the comic I want, then Go looking for others to group shipping costs later. Second time I've gotten bitten by this situation in as many weeks...shame on me!

Off to raid back issue bins tomorrow...bleh.
Post 112 IP   flag post
"permaban" trigger word
Post 113 IP   flag post
i have #263 it's a mark jeweler newsstand edition
Post 114 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
I may take mine down to the LCS... $30-40 would do me fine

But.. Maybe next week .. And the cover looks nice all of a sudden too.. Like I want to keep it.. Amazing how perceived value can change desire to keep a book in the collection . :P haha
Post 115 IP   flag post
Quote:
someone has put a slabbed 9.8 up for $400.. Optimistic
Post 116 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Quote:
someone has put a slabbed 9.8 up for $400.. Optimistic

That particular slab last traded in 2012 for $35.

Last purchase price is $60

So yeah - but who knows
Post 117 IP   flag post
Comic link has one at $100.
Post 118 IP   flag post
Collector VictorCreed private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
i wonder if the 797 Mayhew cover will retain its value long-term. Prob not much...
will be interesting. Some regular 797 covers are being left unsold with $1 starting bid.. The scarcity of the Mayhew probably has value, but the actual issue does not have any.

That's what I don't get about this variant craze....if the underlying book/story has little to no value/importance how can people reasonably expect the value to hold?

I think the variants should not hold the title of 1st appearance, 1st cameo ect. This should only apply to the main covers. This might help. To me, variant are like another printing.
Post 119 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@VictorCreed That logic might work if the variant doesn't come out for months, like what has happened recently with some of the foil variants from DC, but if the variants are coming out the same day, or are only delayed because of distribution, like in the case of "boutique" variants, I think it's fair to say they are the same first appearance, cameo, etc...

Example: Batman 44 Joelle cover (Catwoman) has a Silver Foil variant for C2E2 and a Gold Foil variant that came out right around the same time as the main cover... Sure, give them credit.

Golden Apple Comics has a Teen Titans 12 and Dark Nights Metal 2 Silver Foil variant that just came out a couple of weeks ago... No, the timeframe is waaaayyyyy to far out to be a fair 1st printing, IMO.

Normal A/B/C, Exceed Variants, 1:5, 1:10, 1:Whatever variants, other incentives, and boutiques (as mentioned)... I think those should be the same appearance.

Printing errors leading to a required reprint to replace a normal print should also be counted as first print, since they are not exceeding the established first print run numbers.

People can feel free to disagree.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Let the customers decide with their wallets what matters, that's what I say. Otherwise tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself. But don't get upset about it. We're all Supposed to be reading these things anyway...
Post 121 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorCreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
i wonder if the 797 Mayhew cover will retain its value long-term. Prob not much...
will be interesting. Some regular 797 covers are being left unsold with $1 starting bid.. The scarcity of the Mayhew probably has value, but the actual issue does not have any.

That's what I don't get about this variant craze....if the underlying book/story has little to no value/importance how can people reasonably expect the value to hold?

I think the variants should not hold the title of 1st appearance, 1st cameo ect. This should only apply to the main covers. This might help. To me, variant are like another printing.
variant or not, first is first... Up to you what you put value on

In the case of red goblin, for me first appearance of red goblin is on the cover of comic xposure 796 hence that is the one I wanted and got in my collection
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
i have #263 it's a mark jeweler newsstand edition

Found 3 copies today...2 newsstands, but no mark jeweler inserts!

Two are NM/NM+ though. The other VF/NM.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio 99% of the time, I'm just getting normal covers anyway. If I happen to get a random extra cover on top of it, that's just because I think they're really cool, not always with consideration of the potential value later on.
Post 124 IP   flag post
My oh my.. Travelling with work so went to a to a few different comic shops today.. the stacks of 798 were ridiculous (799 also)..

That plus action 1000 piles made it feel like my plane was a time machine back to the 90s
Post 125 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
ASM #263 is an awful book.

How sad.

For $40, someone can buy a nice run of Swamp Thing #20-#30, and have some of the most fantastic stories ever written.
Post 126 IP   flag post
@DocBrown Agreed. Right now it's hype and perceived scarcity of this issue in high grade...I found 3 high grade copies Wednesday sitting in bins, and the reason I didn't nab a fourth is because the store had the ASM runs between 100-300 in storage.

So I'm flipping them ASAP before the flood and try to turn the profits into a better investment.

It still baffles me that the Homage cover to 797 fetches more than a NM+ copy of the comic it honors (ASM 238). Given there's nothing key with the 797 book, it has hit its ceiling. But some day Hobgoblin will make his cinematic debut, likely before Red Goblin. And even if not, ASM 238 will continue to appreciate in value while 797 remains stagnant or depreciates.
Post 127 IP   flag post
I have one #263 in my ASM PC. It stays that way. I am one of those who has Amazing Spider-man on his pull list for decades. This will not change things for me either way. I love Spidey and his stories. Even the crappy ones by Slott. No need to hoard or board the hype train for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
ASM #263 is an awful book.

How sad.

For $40, someone can buy a nice run of Swamp Thing #20-#30, and have some of the most fantastic stories ever written.

I'd have say I agree with DB on this one.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Right now it's hype and perceived scarcity of this issue in high grade

ASM #263 is the very definition of "not scarce", in any and all conditions. Only the noobiest of noobs would imagine that this book is "scarce", by any understanding of that word. There is a copy available for literally every person who currently buys ASM, times perhaps two or three. Marvel reported average sales for the year containing #263 at 326,695 copies. If absolute attrition is 10%, I would be very surprised. I suspect there are over 300,000 copies of this book still in existence...that's more copies, by the way, than New Mutants #98, by a long shot. There are 113 9.8s on the CGC census right now...before the hype. That's a huge number for a worthless 80's comic, and only because it's ASM.

No, it's just speculators running like lemmings off the cliff. I've got maybe 5-7 copies scattered around, and I have zero interest in looking for them to sell. Stupid lemmings.

It sure smells like 1993.....
Post 129 IP   flag post
Scarce means “less than 100 known to exist”
Post 130 IP   flag post
600794 195 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?