Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Comic Burst Intro to CBCS labels5763

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Comic Burst is doing a four part "Comic Book Grading - Understand the Options" series of articles. It is an introductory series for beginners and I thought they are very well written. Part three, about CBCS, came out today. Below is a link to the CBCS article. But if you are new to grading and slabbing, I'd recommend reading the first two articles as well. The first one is about grading and slabbing in general and the second is about CGC.

Comic Burst CBCS article
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I think that was the author on the CBCS facebook page asking the community for info and images about CBCS' RAW grade program

Huh? Is that a yellow label RAW Grade? I thought that wasn't an option
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I think that was the author on the CBCS facebook page asking the community for info and images about CBCS' RAW grade program

Yes, that was the author. He had asked for examples of labels in another FB group and still needed some raw examples.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quick reading and informative!

A few people in the real world should pay special attention to how grading is subjective hence the same book graded 2x or more could get different grades.

Much grumbling has been made about this for no real reason
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:

That was posted on the CBCS Comic Collectors Club Facebook page by Stephen Bagley. Apparently, you can do up to two witnessed signatures on books that are too big to fit into slabs. I don't believe it is an option for regular sized comics, but I could be wrong.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Yes, that was the author. He had asked for examples of labels in another FB group and still needed some raw examples.

I.E. Homebre Arana #368 CBCS 6.5

I couldn't copy the pic.....but.....is this a new choice or just an "author's choice"?....or is it/will be an example of a possible future option for the public?

Thanks J!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

I.E. Homebre Arana #368 CBCS 6.5

I couldn't copy the pic.....but.....is this a new choice or just an "author's choice"?....or is it/will be an example of a possible future option for the public?

Thanks J!

Not exactly sure what you are asking. Raw grading is a service presently available. The Hombre Arana comic is an oversized comic and too large to be slabbed. Because it was too large to be slabbed, it was possible for a CBCS witness to be there when it got signed and it got a yellow Raw label. Does that answer what you were wondering?
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quick reading and informative!

A few people in the real world should pay special attention to how grading is subjective hence the same book graded 2x or more could get different grades.

Much grumbling has been made about this for no real reason

"Keep in mind grading is performed by humans and is a very subjective process. Two experts can and will grade a comic differently and none of the grading companies guarantee a comic would be graded the same way twice. Keep this in mind when buying or selling a graded comic, since the differences between a 9.6 and 9.8, for example, are slim and open for interpretation."

Is there anyone here that did not know this?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
What happened to CSA Comics authenticating signatures?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@jesse_o - I guess....I truly didn't know that there was an ASP Raw option. That is what caught my eye.

Interesting.

Thanks for responding.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige31
What happened to CSA Comics authenticating signatures?
That caught my eye, too. Were they acquired by Beckett as well?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Regarding signature verification, the CBCS website says this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCS website
All Signatures are authenticated by Beckett Authentication Services (BAS) as of February 15, 2018.

link to website page
Post 12 IP   flag post
What happened to CSA??? I don't know.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Sooo...just to keep me on the same page....*smiles*.....

There is now an "ASP Raw option" with the signature verification process by BAS, thus...."oversized/magazine" comics can now be graded and ASP authentic.....AND/OR have a....VSP red label, if just signed and the book is graded and signature verified?

Is this a correct way to look at it?

Thanks again.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks Close, but ASP is a witnessed signature with a yellow label. Apparently you can now get up to two witnessed signature on an oversized book on a RAW ASP label.

VSP is for unwitnessed signatures, which are now verified by Beckett. As far as I know, there is no RAW VSP option.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
@ZosoRocks Close, but ASP is a witnessed signature with a yellow label. Apparently you can now get up to two witnessed signature on an oversized book on a RAW ASP label.

VSP is for unwitnessed signatures, which are now verified by Beckett. As far as I know, there is no RAW VSP option.

What @dielinfinite said!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Correct, there is no VSP option for RawGrasde.
Post 17 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I asked Tim at Great Lakes Comic Con 3 weeks ago about having a book witnessed sig raw grade. He was unsure on wether they were still doing that. It seems it’s something CBCS has done but is shying away from. Tim talked me into going full slab. Book in question is a Thor 500 signed by writer Bill Messner-Loebs. Not a valuable book but I wanted verification of Bill’s sig.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh If it's any consolation, IF I had the option of submitting books, which CBCS employees do not, I'd full on slab anything I was getting signed. That's just my personal preference though. I can see where you might want to save a few bucks using the Raw Grade option though.

Will we see you at Motor City in May?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
So, hypothetically, if a comic that was too big for a slab, but received a raw ASP grade, could that ASP be later turned into a full slab (with the book being regarded, of course) once the option of, let's say magazine size, was available down the road?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Correct, there is no VSP option for RawGrasde.

@jesse_o....also.....thanks gents for clarification.

Cheers!
Post 21 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squack
So, hypothetically, if a comic that was too big for a slab, but received a raw ASP grade, could that ASP be later turned into a full slab (with the book being regarded, of course) once the option of, let's say magazine size, was available down the road?

No, it would have to go through signature verification.
Post 22 IP   flag post
601294 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?