Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

Incredible Hulk #181 Suspicious eBay Listing5745

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I looked at the list of bidders, everyone said “private listing”. I have never seen that before. Where there is money, there are scammers.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
At least he ships his books in "cardboard protection"....whatever that means...

Probably two sheets of paper taped together...
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I looked at the list of bidders, everyone said “private listing”. I have never seen that before. Where there is money, there are scammers.

When you list you can choose to make the listing private. In some cases that makes sense but not here it is was the real stuff.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
To be sure....this is a very bad person, but it looks like they have covered their butts as it were.
It is in the description and if anyone was unsure, if they asked I at least got this response....

Post 55 IP   flag post

@KatKomics yep - but that response is going to get him into trouble as this shows that he has the intent to defraud.

If he had responded "I am not sure" - then he would have covered himself
Post 56 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
To be sure....this is a very bad person, but it looks like they have covered their butts as it were.
It is in the description and if anyone was unsure, if they asked I at least got this response....

Huh...was just about to attach this response and report fraud to ebay but the listing has mysteriously been taken down.....
Post 57 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

When you list you can choose to make the listing private. In some cases that makes sense but not here it is was the real stuff.

When? Honest question, I can't figure out why this would be an option.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
He (or she) also sells Betel Nuts

Consumption has many harmful effects on health and is carcinogenic to humans. Various compounds present in the nut, including arecoline (the primary psychoactive ingredient which is similar to nicotine), contribute to histologic changes in the oral mucosa. It is known to be a major risk factor for cancers (squamous cell carcinoma) of the mouth and esophagus (food pipe). As with chewing tobacco, its use is discouraged by preventive efforts. Consumption by hundreds of millions of people worldwide – mainly with southern and eastern Asian origins – has been described as a "neglected global public health emergency".

Yeah...not suspect at all...

Their nuts have been removed as well.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
He (or she) also sells Betel Nuts

Consumption has many harmful effects on health and is carcinogenic to humans. Various compounds present in the nut, including arecoline (the primary psychoactive ingredient which is similar to nicotine), contribute to histologic changes in the oral mucosa. It is known to be a major risk factor for cancers (squamous cell carcinoma) of the mouth and esophagus (food pipe). As with chewing tobacco, its use is discouraged by preventive efforts. Consumption by hundreds of millions of people worldwide – mainly with southern and eastern Asian origins – has been described as a "neglected global public health emergency".

Yeah...not suspect at all...

Their nuts have been removed as well.

Aw, NUTS!
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
Items have been removed
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshel61
Items have been removed

It seems this toad is an expert at computers. He can appear to be located wherever he wants to appear. Probably will cool off on the comic book criminal activity for awhile and move on to bilk other collectable categories. Wow...
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
Quote:

When? Honest question, I can't figure out why this would be an option.

Not a particular good article but a starting point
https://www.thebalance.com/pros-and-cons-of-private-ebay-listings-1140347
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I do private listings for expensive books. I feel it protects the buyer from unwanted attention. Example like a $3500 Xmen #1. That's the only time I do private listings.

On the flip side as a buyer I would appreciate the anonymity. I don't want people on the internet knowing all the expensive books currently in route to my address.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
It makes me wonder how many people buy a book like this, put it in a box and consider their investment complete. Many years ago when I was a newbie I did the same thing. Lucky for me it nothing was more then a $50-$100 gamble. Nowadays anything $400 and up goes straight to slab.

I suspect the seller makes lots of $$$ without to much hassle.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@poka I do private listings for expensive books. I feel it protects the buyer from unwanted attention. Example like a $3500 Xmen #1. That's the only time I do private listings.

On the flip side as a buyer I would appreciate the anonymity. I don't want people on the internet knowing all the expensive books currently in route to my address.

Even if the auction was not private people would not know tha anyway as all auctions are anonymous with the acronyms given have nothing to do with your eBay Id.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Even if the auction was not private people would not know tha anyway as all auctions are anonymous with the acronyms given have nothing to do with your eBay Id.

This.

It used to be the case that you could see bidders' identities, long ago, but that has changed.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
”It makes me wonder how many people buy a book like this, put it in a box and consider their investment complete. Many years ago when I was a newbie I did the same thing. Lucky for me it nothing was more then a $50-$100 gamble. Nowadays anything $400 and up goes straight to slab.”

For me the trick is to buy the books for 50% of what I can immediately sell them for (generally after slabbing) then like an idiot instead of immediately cashing in the quick profit, I stick them in a box or on the wall and expect an average 10% a year additional return for the pile. No crashes please!
(Oops, posted this in the wrong spot!)

“I suspect the seller makes lots of $$$ without to much hassle.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@poka @jrs What you gents are missing is the feedback history. If I buy an expensive book in a private auction, somebody scrolling through my feedback history wouldn't be able to tell which books I bought. But if it was NOT private they could see all the $2000+ books I'm hording. That might entice a thief to find out where I live. Even worse they could buy something or sell something to me to find out where I live. It's just a little scary if you buy expensive keys to buy through non-private.

Think about auction houses, they never disclose the winning bidders for the same reasons.
Post 69 IP   flag post
597868 69 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?