Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze Age

Incredible Hulk #181 Suspicious eBay Listing5745

Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Stumbled across this eBay listing for an Incredible Hulk #181. Seller claims that the book is “Super High Grade”. However, buried within the description, the seller has used the words “reprint” and “reprin”. Upon further examination of the listing’s pictures it looks as though the pictures are of two different books with suspicious cropping, especially where the “not for resale” indication on the bottom right front cover would appear. Bidding is at US $685 with two days remaining.

Furthermore, seller has a similar Incredible Hulk #181 listing also with cropped pictures that does not mention “reprint” in the description. Bidding is at US $1,361 and closes in a few hours.

Just a heads up in case any members here are bidding on these listings.

Incredible Hulk #181 Vol 1 Super High Grade 1st App of Wolverine w/ Marvel Stamp https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253480663756
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
click on who is bidding and stay away
Post 2 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
Looking at his feedback, this won't be his first fraud. On a side note just another example of why I hate when they reprint issues and make them look like the original.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
wow....is that legal/ok?? Sure it says reprint in the body of the text but if you didn't read it you would for sure think this is a legit vintage book - 20 bids so far!! yikes!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
wait...it must be ok..it's for charity. sure,sure a charity I've never heard of but they must be real yes?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
wait...it must be ok..it's for charity. sure,sure a charity I've never heard of but they must be real yes?

That's just 25%. seller keeps the rest.

Sorry - always get suspicious when you have a seller with a) low feedback, b) not that great feedback, c) among the 3 comics he has for sale two of them are IH 181s, d) inconsistent text and description, e) not full pictures - not even of back cover, and f) all bidders are private.

Must be those strange people north of the border
Post 6 IP   flag post
His other listing is even more dubious. It has an eight word description without any mention of reprint. Bidding is at US $1,361 with 30 bids.

Incredible Hulk #181 Vol 1 Super High Grade 1st App of Wolverine w/ Marvel Stamp https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253480253162
Post 7 IP   flag post
Both listings include the Marvel Value Stamp. I guess no one was cutting them out of the reprints lol.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
gotta love those cropped photos
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
just so I understand private bidders, as in all are private, shills in league with the seller? or the seller using his other accounts to bid on himself? and wow not even a smudge on the cover too
Post 10 IP   flag post
and just for fun I checked out the "charity" it appears it was just created. it is on crowdrise or wise and so far has 0 donations, and the other references were for yelp reviews with no reviews of course. so in essense it seems the 25 percent will go back to him I think
Post 11 IP   flag post
and I ask because I have run across listings where most or almost all are private bidders, and I get funny feels from them so no matter how much I like what the listing is I did not bid and passed. and am I right or almost right in my previous post about this? thank you
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
He also sells fake money. Thieves like this should be arrested.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Grab a piece of history with this bargain price collectors item. Cover price $2.99. Real value $2.99
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
He (or she) also sells Betel Nuts

Consumption has many harmful effects on health and is carcinogenic to humans. Various compounds present in the nut, including arecoline (the primary psychoactive ingredient which is similar to nicotine), contribute to histologic changes in the oral mucosa. It is known to be a major risk factor for cancers (squamous cell carcinoma) of the mouth and esophagus (food pipe). As with chewing tobacco, its use is discouraged by preventive efforts. Consumption by hundreds of millions of people worldwide – mainly with southern and eastern Asian origins – has been described as a "neglected global public health emergency".

Yeah...not suspect at all...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes it's just the timing of reading something but this truly got me angered. Wonder what happens when the buyer receives this fake and is out a grand and a half👹
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by donho
and just for fun I checked out the "charity" it appears it was just created. it is on crowdrise or wise and so far has 0 donations, and the other references were for yelp reviews with no reviews of course. so in essense it seems the 25 percent will go back to him I think

First impression of that charity is that the seller used it as a ploy to increase market confidence that he is a legit/trustworthy seller who is giving money to a Christian group and with the Christianity being the largest US religion, it was a simple marketing ploy.

BUT.....Christian televangelists?

Yes, read the description of that charity.

The charity could be funnelling the 25% to a character (maybe the seller or a friend) who has a low rent Jimmy Swaggert show on public access.

That could actually be the case.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Savage_Spawn It is sad that scammers are trying to mislead the public. When they are cropping the photo of the cover that is exactly what they are doing. Sure it is in the discription twice that is a reprint and the book has a cover price of $2.99 and that makes it important that the buyer be knowledgeable about what they are bidding on. If somebody bids more than $10. On this then it is there fault. It is wrong what the seller is doing and hopefully no one gets scammed. Our hobby does not need POS people like this.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Can he be reported if its not technically fraud even though its obvious his intent is to defraud ..id love to shut this auction down before it ends

to any reasonable collector..it's clear he is scamming...but to a novice (or even me 3 years ago jumping on the hype of the 181) its very easy to miss the scam when the technicality protecting the seller is thrown in as fine print around a huge description that leads the buyer elsewhere.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Note his most recent positive feedback indicates(paraphrased):

Auction text was confusing but the pictures were accurateGreat comic!".

That is a "private" feedback from a low feedback bidder.

That feedback is 99.99% was placed there via a shill bidding account created by the seller.

You can go to a public library and create as many shills as you want, 2-4 is plenty...have the shipping addresses set up to a PO box in the next town over.

I any event, I urge all of you to report his hulk 181 listing and even his Silver Surfer 1 ....dunno how that book was up to $50 last night.

It's a $10 book in NM.

Reporting his beta Nut listing or whatever they are would be good too, they are likely in legal grey area.

I would suggest posting a link to this thread in each of the reports, this will save the eBay rep time and it will reinforce the fact that there are multiple eBay comic buyers that are concerned about crooked sellers.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Sometimes it's just the timing of reading something but this truly got me angered. Wonder what happens when the buyer receives this fake and is out a grand and a half👹

Ebay holds payments new sellers receive for either 3 or 6 months.If it is only 3 months though....than , yeah, the seller can indeed cash out.

PayPal protection is valid for 6 months IIRC.

If this guy is really smooth, by that I mean a real gifted con artist type, he may cash out and close all his accounts...leaving a collection agency to get the money back.Odds are he would get away with the grift free as a whistle.

Ebay or PayPal might have to eat the refund out of their own pocket.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
There is so much corruption on eBay from the Comic Book dealers it's a CRIME!!! I see so much of these sellers reselling the SAME book time after time and it's been sold every time to raise up the prices. Then when a regular joe puts one on in the same grade (CGC or CBCS) at a lower price it doesn't sell. I would say MOST of the value of these books are artificial...
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Well, I'm gonna report the listings. Let e-Bay investigate & confirm for themselves.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCBE
There is so much corruption on eBay from the Comic Book dealers it's a CRIME!!! I see so much of these sellers reselling the SAME book time after time and it's been sold every time to raise up the prices. Then when a regular joe puts one on in the same grade (CGC or CBCS) at a lower price it doesn't sell. I would say MOST of the value of these books are artificial...

I was just saying that to my wife yesterday.

I noticed in my very first comic link auction this week that the books I was watching are all back up in the next auction and they were listed before the books sold. Maybe i should verify my claim with slab numbers before I state something, but they certainly look like the same books . It leads me to believe that they are collaborating to jack up prices and sell for top dollar...like that ASM1 3.0 that sold for 6300. In what world is that book worth 6300?
Post 24 IP   flag post
to watcher and anyone else on this thread I may not be quite understanding this post

Maybe I am not seeing it or trying to hard maybe? got the corruption part but not understanding the selling the same book time after time affecting prices , and the rest of the post. please explain this better for me, thank you.
just trying to learn more to better enjoy this awesome hobby.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donho
to watcher and anyone else on this thread I may not be quite understanding this post

Maybe I am not seeing it or trying to hard maybe? got the corruption part but not understanding the selling the same book time after time affecting prices , and the rest of the post. please explain this better for me, thank you.
just trying to learn more to better enjoy this awesome hobby.

Im not sure if he and I are really saying the same thing...but what i was saying was that in some cases, I believe certain books are sold back and forth to buddies in an effort to drive the price up through GPA so when they do sell it legitimately , they get top dollar. It's probably rare , but I feel it happens. Ive also heard (unverified of course) that some of the guys that own these super mega keys (action 1 Etc) have done just that over the years which also makes their mid grade copies more valuable. Now, Im just talking out my ass here...but figured id comment on it because I do realize even if that were true..they'd still have to pay big money to the auction house so not sure my claim is valid - at least on huge money books. But 3% Vig on a 2k book may be worth jacking up to 3100 to increase most recent sales.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Well, I'm gonna report the listings. Let e-Bay investigate & confirm for themselves.

I reported him earlier
Post 27 IP   flag post
thanks for clarifying , makes sense now
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

I reported him earlier
Good job. I hope E -Bay takes note of your complaint.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips @CopperAgeKids

Thanks for the replies, guys. Guess distaste might have been enough but this really pissed me off. Maybe he gets kicked off ebay (tho it seems he has avenues to return). Hoping the buyer gets his cash back (and I agree he needs to read the description and images with much more vigilance) but jail time is what this crooked clown deserves.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597868 69 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?