Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #485735

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Just FYI, The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #48 is set to go on sale on Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Since I can't decide on a cover, I'm going to skip buying one. I'd hate to regret my choice after buying it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster - Damn that year flew bye. Picked up Steranko’s skinny Batman cover issue last year. I’m old school and like to flip through the guide and read the articles, but I’m also older eyes and it’s getting harder each year to read the tiny print. Could it be time to go for the digital edition?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
I like the Batman/Grendel one, but that Spirit one looks pretty damn cool!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Each year my LCS flips me a hard cover of my choosing for free. He says he does this for his top 10 buyers as a way of showing his gratitude. At least I know I rank in there somewhere. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
that Spirit one looks pretty damn cool!

Yeah, that's what I m thinking too.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Uhm....okay.....I may be a new guy to grading...a novice in many ways....but....

...variant Overstreet guides???...

You gotta be kidding!!!???

Damn....this variant phase is gonna cause me to banish myself from the hobby and then promote the evil of variant which caused the demise

Sheesh....is there any decency left???

Gosh I wish I just didn't see that post....*shakes his head in disappointment*...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Uhm....okay.....I may be a new guy to grading...a novice in many ways....but....

...variant Overstreet guides???...

You gotta be kidding!!!???

Damn....this variant phase is gonna cause me to banish myself from the hobby and then promote the evil of variant which caused the demise

Sheesh....is there any decency left???

Gosh I wish I just didn't see that post....*shakes his head in disappointment*...

I am pretty certain they are all printed equally.

Last time I bought an Ovetreet was like 2014, OUR.

There were 2 covers to pick from.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@ZosoRocks They have been doing multiple covers for a few years now. I usually whatever my LCS stocks. I skipped last year though. Especially the older stuff does not change much. I might pick one up this year. However sometimes they repaet articles which I do not like. The one I liked the most was several years ago. Robert Overstreet unboxed and unwrapped the EC Gaines file copies with the family and had some cool pictures to go with it. It was a facinating article. Not sure which volume it was in. I am sure someone here will have the answer pretty quick.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Here is the breakdown of the regularly sized guides. Not the "Big! Big!" editions.

From...
1970 had a white cover and a 2nd print had a blue cover.
1972-1996, just 1 cover.
1997-2000, 2 different covers.
2001-2014, 3 different covers.
2015, 5 different covers.
2016, 4 different covers.
2017, 4 different covers.
2018, ? different covers.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Here is the breakdown of the regularly sized guides. Not the "Big! Big!" editions.

From...
1970 had a white cover and a 2nd print had a blue cover.
1972-1996, just 1 cover.
1997-2000, 2 different covers.
2001-2014, 3 different covers.
2015, 5 different covers.
2016, 4 different covers.
2017, 4 different covers.
2018, 6 different covers.

well that answers that....My only Overstreet I have is from 1995 - 25th anniversary copy.

I think the online auctions (Sold) and online guides serve enough purpose for me.

6 different covers - all the same info inside. A money grab directed to the completest - beginner.

Sad that the hobby is moving in this direction.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Which one is the hardcover? Or, are they all available in the hardcover format?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
The Overstreet guide has so hard tried to be the vade mecum of the hobby that the other online sites that record such information are seen to be a threat to their monopoly.

Well I have to say that we are all online and that there are many more selling sites that show just how out of touch Overstreet is.

Let's face it at the Editorial meeting (should they exist) they would say : OK ! Let's just increase everything by 5% or whatever.

There are far more ways to find out the value of an item than buying this out of date book.

With multiple covers!!! Are you being exploited or not?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Redshade

*I'm his best Badda Book Badda Boom Guy voice*

That guy gets it.

:o)
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
FYI, the pics at the top are all past covers. The Batman + Grendel is from 2012. The horribly drawn Hulk #181 variant is from 2014. (Seriously, what's with that one? It looks like a first year art school project by a 'C' student.) The Spirit cover (which is indeed cool) is 2015.

Here is the main cover for #48, 2018/2019.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
all past covers

Correct! Those were the covers listed in the article.
Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
The Overstreet guide has so hard tried to be the vade mecum of the hobby that the other online sites that record such information are seen to be a threat to their monopoly.

Well I have to say that we are all online and that there are many more selling sites that show just how out of touch Overstreet is.

Let's face it at the Editorial meeting (should they exist) they would say : OK ! Let's just increase everything by 5% or whatever.

There are far more ways to find out the value of an item than buying this out of date book.

With multiple covers!!! Are you being exploited or not?

Overstreet obviously is no help with moderns or hot books that see lots of movement, but for those older books that haven't had, or had only a few registered (GPA, etc.) sale in years, it's helpful.
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

Wow! I love this!
Post 18 IP   flag post
So do I. Reminds me of watching the Charlton Heston movie waaaaaay back in 1968.
Post 19 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Star Trek and PotA were my first two serious nerd obsessions. I can watch the original PotA movies in an endless loop for days.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Kirk looks ready to put the moves on Zera. Any port in the storm for ol' Jimmy Boy.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

Overstreet obviously is no help with moderns or hot books that see lots of movement, but for those older books that haven't had, or had only a few registered (GPA, etc.) sale in years, it's helpful.

So is guessing.
Whether it's their educated guess or yours, you can save money by using yours. Who is going to contest it if there hasn't been a sale in years?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

So is guessing.
Whether it's their educated guess or yours, you can save money by using yours. Who is going to contest it if there hasn't been a sale in years?

I think the majority of seasoned collectors and/or seasoned dealers, understand that they should be evaluating a book based on not only GPA, GoCollect , Overstreet but availability and desirability of older books.

Personal intuition/guessing is also a biggie.

That said, the last time I bought an Overstreet was around 5 years ago.

I'll be buying the softcover Overstreet #48 from a nearby local comic shop, where I have been buying books from for about 2 decades.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It's just a simple fact that no one can economically maintain an accurate price guide.
There is too much labor involved.
Overstreet lost me in the 90's when they were listing $100 modern comics for $5. They were even doing it in the update magazines which were supposed to provide them a chance to adjust to changes during the year.
Overstreet was always a disappointment because the never made an attempt to list everything. You had to buy an underground price guide if you were interested in undergrounds.
They disappointed me because they wouldn't list B&W comics.
Later I found out that they intentionally listed errors so that people couldn't steal the data.
When Jon Warren was working on the Wizard Price guide, he was collecting scans of the first and last issues of comics as proof they existed. Overstreet couldn't be trusted.

In summary:
1) The prices aren't accurate on the stuff that matters the most.
2) It's incomplete and make no effort to list everything.
3) It lists erroneous info intentionally.

In my opinion, the book is pretty much useless.
At least the online price guides want to be accurate and some want to list everything.
The online guides are using Overstreet's model as an excuse to not list newsstands and certain price variants. That make Overstreet a bad influence on the hobby, not a good one.
Post 26 IP   flag post
601270 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?