Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver Age

Bigger dealer better grade?5691

Collector VCBE private msg quote post Address this user
I was very lucky and got 6 Iron Mans along with 5 of each 2-10 from a person who worked at Printing for Marvel Comics back in the day. He never even opened any of the books and have they been in any light what so ever and have never even been separated from each other. I have sent a couple in and they are identical from each other. I sent (CGC) 1 through Pedigree Comics came back a 9.6 sent another through Comic Link came back 9.4 so I decided to send another through just me and it came back an 8.0??? and is IDENTICAL to the others. I sent is a Crappy Iron Man #1 I had just 2 weeks ago and it came back 8.5??? I also just sent one of the High-Grade group to CBCS and it came back 9.0 I'm just wondering if I should take them out and send them through Pedigree and Comic Link?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
What do the grader's notes say?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Hanginglimbs private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I don't even know how they determine grades anymore. I had a dark nights metal #1 signed and submitted come back at 7.5. book was obviously not a 9.8, but certainly not a 7.5 (notes mentioned surface wear).
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
There is no surface wear?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@VCBE I don’t really see a scenario in which CBCS or CGC does this. PGX, it’s more up their alley.

There is a big difference between 8.0, 9.4, 9.6; clearly not identical. Check the grader notes for help if you cannot see it

Better yet, post pics of the slabs and/or serial numbers so we can see the details for ourselves
Post 5 IP   flag post
The book is next to flawless I was expecting a 9.6 as I have plenty of my personal Silver aged that I have had graded are 9.6 - 9.4... There is NOT 1 spine bend or on any side and the corners are like new... We will see when I send the SAME book through Pedigree and let's see what it gets... I have always thought they were corrupt and we will see and then I write about it...
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
IBTL
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Pics/serial numbers or it didnt happen
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
There is a bit of a crapshoot always, the science is quite subjective. Still, it seems to average out pretty good.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Oh I know I have some book that are Crappy that have an 8.5 I have sent books in HOPING to get an 8.5 and have come back at 9.4. I have a book that has over 10 spine bends with color breaks in ALL 10 and it's a 9.0. I know is subjective but it shouldn't be as they GUARANTEE that Grade if it's a GUARANTEE there should NOTHING subjective about it. I'm just thinking this PROFESSIONAL Grading isn't so professional...
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
What do the grader's notes say?
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I am always suspicious about first time posters who denigrate grading companies and do not provide pictures.

Present evidence of your claim of favoritism to bigger companies versus us little guys.

Really pretty simple.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
There has always been a theory that it sent through a dealer rather than as a private person you would get better grade. But I am not aware that it has yet been proven.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
There has always been a theory that it sent through a dealer rather than as a private person you would get better grade. But I am not aware that it has yet been proven.

Graders (at both CBCS and CGC) do not see the submitter's name so that negates any potential for favoritism off the bat.

This is a precaution that both CGC and CBCS have put in place, from the start.

The OP is flat out wrong.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
VCBE, post up pics/scans of the book (s) you took, before subbing them.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Graders (at both CBCS and CGC) do not see the submitter's name so that negates any potential for favoritism off the bat.

I am not saying that it is happening but there are several ways around this other than seeing a name if it really happend. And I don’t believe it is happening. Just some submissions where you are really shaking your head while others you are jumping up and down. Believe it is the human factor of the grader which is the culprit
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not saying that it is happening but there are several ways around this other than seeing a name if it really happend. And I don’t believe it is happening. Just some submissions where you are really shaking your head while others you are jumping up and down. Believe it is the human factor of the grader which is the factor

Which is why I've always said "grade my books at 4pm Friday not 9am Monday"
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Watcher 🤣 need to remember that
Post 18 IP   flag post
Actually come to think about it. I might be in luck. My DD#1 got graded last Friday 😆
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I am always suspicious about first time posters who denigrate grading companies and do not provide pictures.

Present evidence of your claim of favoritism to bigger companies versus us little guys.

Really pretty simple.
Quote:
VCBE, post up pics/scans of the book (s) you took, before subbing them.

Agreed everyone should stop reponding to this person's thread until there is actual evidence to support the accusations.

This really Sounds of someone who doesn't understand grading And hasn't read the graders notes to even know what they're talking about. Spine damage and cover wear isn't the only thing they use to determine a grade.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Agreed everyone should stop reponding to this person's thread until there is actual evidence to support the accusations.

Yet you responded - lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm always suspicious of people saying first time posters when they're not first time posters
Post 22 IP   flag post
I think we have a new candidate for the suspension thread. 😂

iBTL
Post 23 IP   flag post
600884 23 23
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.