Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

YOUR MOST VALUABLE COMIC5681

Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Tough call, i can think of a 'Top 5', but i think if i consigned this one to a Heritage Auction, this could be in the running for top dollar from my collection
I've thought about collecting Pep and Zip classic covers but, man, the cost now! Awesome book!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@Watcher how much would a one inch piece of tape on a back cover reduce a grade? It's not used to repair anything just stuck on there back in 1950. Will they subtract.5, 1.0, 2.0...etc. What's the norm?
There is no standard downgrade for tape. It depends on how much tape there is, if it's caused any staining and to what degree.
My understanding is that it goes straight to 5.5 regardless of how nice it is. If the tape is actually fixing something then it goes down from there depending on what it is fixing. The book is graded like the defect exists without the tape. So, a detached cover, fixed with tape, can take it down to a 3 or even lower.
Post 52 IP   flag post

Runner up is my All Select #1
Post 53 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@Badger Very nice!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Still sealed in the plastic with the trading card = priceless.

Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 Wow! You could probably contact Disney & sell it back to them for their archives. They didn't start the Archive program until 1970, and they've been known to bring early pieces back in-house.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Probably this #1 1940 in NM condition.
Headed to grading soon.

Apparent NM, you meant to say.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

I bought it raw in 2015 for a steal compared to what I've seen them going for. Thinking about a CPR on it, but I don't know if I should risk a possible downgrade.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley I think if it CLEARLY needs a press and clean, it's a safe move.

EDIT: Oh, but then I saw the lower right corner. Yeah, that may not get to 6.0
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

I have five of those still sealed from when it was released - one for each card. Isn't that how many cards there were? I think I have five loose, too, because I wanted to have the cards in my hands, too. God, I was an idiot back then, ha ha...
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
The guide has this at a little over $9300.

That's graded from before everyone was pressing books, right? Wow... wonder what that would press and grade at now! Looks sooooo nice, though. Would love to have one of those in my collection.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
That's graded from before everyone was pressing books, right? Wow... wonder what that would press and grade at now!

Yup, I was thinking of cracking it open and doing just what you're thinking too It would be interesting to find out if it bumps up a grade.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I have five of those still sealed from when it was released - one for each card. Isn't that how many cards there were? I think I have five loose, too, because I wanted to have the cards in my hands, too. God, I was an idiot back then, ha ha...

Cheer up! I still have the 20 copies I bought. All open now.
There might be a 9.6 in there, but unless every human on the planet suddenly wants a copy, I ain't slabbing any.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Quote:

Cheer up! I still have the 20 copies I bought. All open now.
There might be a 9.6 in there, but unless every human on the planet suddenly wants a copy, I ain't slabbing any.

Yeah... no sigs and no slabs for those!!! I have all of the "fun" New Mutants and X-Force issues, but the only things I have slabbed from New Mutants are the first Demon Bear, cameo Legion, and first Legion, signed by Bill Sienkiewicz... Those were from my personal collection from the mid-80's, too. I think those are because I love Bill's work.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user

Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

Very nice.

Why is wear in that top left corner so common with books from that era? Is it the paper?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
The guide has this at a little over $9300.

That's graded from before everyone was pressing books, right?
Wow... wonder what that would press and grade at now! Looks sooooo nice, though. Would love to have one of those in my collection.

No, not really.

Pressing is now just widely accepted as a non-invasive means of improving a book's structural integrity and grade.

I am sure that plenty of books in first generation CGC slabs were professionally pressed.

I bought a poorly listed GI Combat #68 back in December, in a 1st gen CGC holder at 3.5 with ow/w pages.

Won it thru eBay in auction for about $180....which was a steal.

It is certainly unpressed.

The pics sucked, the listed was titled correctly but the eBay product identifier had another issue number of GI Combat pictured with a stock image IIRC & described.

There was 1-2 pics of the slab. Poorly shot.

The outer holder of the slab itself had 3-4 spots of crusty booger like spots on it.

I haven't done anything with it yet, IIRC I remember looking at the slab in hand and thinking it might get around a 5.5 with a CPR.

I'll put it on my wall at Big Apple next to my 2 raws of #56 and let CCS or CBCS clean and press it, if it doesn't sell.

Also have an ASM 300 CGC 9.6 I bought from a local collector; same story with that book but it's in the pre 4/4/2016 era holder....and got a Watchmen 1 CGC 9.6 off eBay last month...solid 9.8 if not for the pinhead sized impressions on the FC, scattered in about a 3/4" square inch area.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
Quote:
Quote:
@Watcher how much would a one inch piece of tape on a back cover reduce a grade? It's not used to repair anything just stuck on there back in 1950. Will they subtract.5, 1.0, 2.0...etc. What's the norm?
There is no standard downgrade for tape. It depends on how much tape there is, if it's caused any staining and to what degree.
My understanding is that it goes straight to 5.5 regardless of how nice it is. If the tape is actually fixing something then it goes down from there depending on what it is fixing. The book is graded like the defect exists without the tape. So, a detached cover, fixed with tape, can take it down to a 3 or even lower.

Pretty sure that only archival tape is the deciding factor on whether a book gets a Restored label.

Regular tape is counted against the grade as a defect, and the label will state "tape on inside cover" or whatever applies to the book in question.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pretty sure that only archival tape is the deciding factor on whether a book gets a Restored label.

Regular tape is counted against the grade as a defect, and the label will state "tape on inside cover" or whatever applies to the book in question.

The label on my book states "tape on inside cover", yet it is archival tape.
Post 69 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Tape will not get you a restored label, no matter the type.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

Correct. Tape alone is not restoration.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I think tape should be considered just like a date stamp - but only if it was placed there by an 8 year old who got his (or her) older brother's beat up comic collection when the brother was away in college . . .
Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Runner up is my All Select #1
BEAUTIFUL book! Congrats!
And thanks for the kind word about the Pep issue. It's always appreciated.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
@Badger BTW, post that runner up! Love that All Select.
Here's my possible runner up
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I have seen several books with PLOD labels that had no CT , tear seals or any other forms of resto.

All they had was tape.

Haven't seen the same on older CBCS slabs but it is not as easy to tell as the label color stays blue.

But yeah, the stance on tape has changed more recently.

I do not believe the stance on Archival tape has changed as much though.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
That's graded from before everyone was pressing books, right? Wow... wonder what that would press and grade at now!

Yup, I was thinking of cracking it open and doing just what you're thinking too It would be interesting to find out if it bumps up a grade.

Both of you two should have your X-Men 1's CPR'd.
Post 76 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

FANTASTIC!...how could I have missed this one on the newsstand?

Marty
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Man, Hangman #3 is such a great book! Here's my runner up.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have seen several books with PLOD labels that had no CT , tear seals or any other forms of resto.

All they had was tape.

Haven't seen the same on older CBCS slabs but it is not as easy to tell as the label color stays blue.

But yeah, the stance on tape has changed more recently.

I do not believe the stance on Archival tape has changed as much though.
Sorry but you are mistaken. CGC has never considered tape of any kind, or amount, restoration; regardless, CGC and CBCS do not currently consider tape, restoration. If I am wrong, feel free to post a book in a restored label with only tape. In the meantime here is CGC's offical, current, stance on tape. See 1:18 into the video.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Overstreet copy.

Post 80 IP   flag post
601249 137 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?