Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Rocketeer going to series.5656

Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all!

Disney is bringing an animated series based on The Rocketeer to Disney Junior (http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/55602/the-rocketeer-animated-series-on-the-way-from-disney).

Methinks the House of Mouse is testing the waters by re-introducing the character in a low-risk manner.

Not a bad time to find the ol' Rocketeer comics.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I love the Rocketeer. I painted this painting a few years ago:

Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This is funny and weird to introduce to young kids when this was about fighting Nazis
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
The rumor for the movie reboot was that they were gonna swap it for a female lead. It'll be interesting to see if that's what they do with the animated series.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Woo Hoooo!!! I love Rocketeer!!
Managed to find multiples of #1(3) and #2(2) a few years back in a dollar bin at a flea market
Pacific Presents #1(only 2 left..swear I had more but excel never lies??) was also a fav...never did get #2, but I have the whole comico run....next con I think #2 is on the list!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
That's why I snapped these off; Disney doesn't do half-measures. I could see Disney putting big bucks into a reboot of the character if the kiddie show has solid viewership & merchandise sales; the true purpose of any kid's TV show being to create toys for @kaptainmyke.

On the publishing end, Rocketeer is already farmed out to IDW; probably a good thing, since Marvel is already over-titled an' probably can't support another creative team worth of editorial. God help Marvel when the Fox buyout is done if Disney decides to pull all the Fox properties from Dark Horse.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I have Starslayer#1 and #2 which has the first 2 appesrances of Rocketeer done by the late,great Dave Stevens. They are signed on the interior page by Mike Grell who did the main stories. Pretty high grade too. I will have to post them tomorrow.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I just picked up two Starslayer #2s signed by Grell last month.

Though TV doesn't typically spike the price of a book as much as a movie, I'm glad I grabbed them before anything was official. โ˜บ๏ธ
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this one back in my latest CBCS order yesterday

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
That's why I snapped these off; Disney doesn't do half-measures. I could see Disney putting big bucks into a reboot of the character if the kiddie show has solid viewership & merchandise sales; the true purpose of any kid's TV show being to create toys for @kaptainmyke.

On the publishing end, Rocketeer is already farmed out to IDW; probably a good thing, since Marvel is already over-titled an' probably can't support another creative team worth of editorial. God help Marvel when the Fox buyout is done if Disney decides to pull all the Fox properties from Dark Horse.

IDW uses high end paper stock, on most books.

Locke & Key #1....1st print from 2004... is an excellent example of how paper stock is a big factor on moderns getting 9.9's10's and plenty of 9.8's.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Locke+%26+Key&publisher=IDW+Publishing&issue=1&year=2008&issuedate=2%2F08

That is the upside for modern flippers.

I don't mess with this type of modern cheese....but if you do specialize in modern flipping, there ya go.

Coppers with Stevens GGA covers are the best buys, same for star slayer 2.

I have a few early Rocketeers/Stevens raw nm-'. In.my $10 boxes.

Gotta check to see which ones I have, any I can gang out at easy $30 or more BIN's + shipping on ebay, I'll post Em tonight or tomorrow. Anything less, I'll leave in my $10's for the Big Apple next month.

I do have a Rocketeer SE #1 (The book on the right) which I bought last year for my "eventual press/sub" boxes.Its a 9.8 candidate with a press.9
6 as is....same for a rocketeer#2....Black cover background, stone cold 9.6/9.8 raw with no color breaks, she's getting pressed and slabbed.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Post 10 IP   flag post

I have all the Rocketeer magazines, original comics, current comics from IDW, and the VHS movie. I was totes in love with Jennifer Connelly in that movie. The perfect shining example of a woman in the bomber girl glory days. Just thinking about that "soup scene" back when I was 11-12 yrs old. Yummy. She made me want to eat soup. I hate soup.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I just picked up two Starslayer #2s signed by Grell last month.

Though TV doesn't typically spike the price of a book as much as a movie, I'm glad I grabbed them before anything was official. โ˜บ๏ธ

A cartoon won't do much, compared to a live action movie.

Rocketeer books already have a solid following (specifically Stevens covers).

If the live action movie of Rocketeer is confirmed after the cartoon tests the waters....boo yah.

Caveat being that if a female lead is cast....than the books will be pump and dumps.

I would hope a female lead is not chosen,with the cartoon .... and the movie.

Long term, the keys are solid.

But the prices will return to pre-existing pricing...With likely a 10% increase over the prices from a year back, before any Rocketeer reboot movie was rumored.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

I have all the Rocketeer magazines, original comics, current comics from IDW, and the VHS movie. I was totes in love with Jennifer Connelly in that movie. The perfect shining example of a woman in the bomber girl glory days. Just thinking about that "soup scene" back when I was 11-12 yrs old. Yummy. She made me want to eat soup. I hate soup.

What about her neo-noir sexiness in 'Dark City'?

Post 13 IP   flag post
I have been in love with her since she was 15 in Once Upon Upon a Time in America

Post 14 IP   flag post
Great movie.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thinking of maybe getting Dave Dorman to do a Rocketeer sketch tomorrow at the Toronto Comicon - just not sure I want to spend a day waiting for the sketch..can't go back on Sunday so has to be a 1 day thing
Post 16 IP   flag post
I know its reading tea leaves at this point, but I don't see Disney investing money (even at the animated TV level) without a long-term plan. If the hook is to introduce the character at the kiddie level, then progressively move things along to a TV and/or film position at a later date, it would be a revolution in media marketing: an IP that grows up along with its customer base. Hasn't been tried yet, but I wouldn't put much past the House of Mouse. Anyhow, I have no problem w/ a female version of the character, provided it makes sense within the narrative. Maybe the original Rocketeer's kid/niece or something, or a mentor relationship like Iron Man/Ironheart or Bruce Wayne/Terry McGinnis.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Rocketeer sketch from Dave Dorman - he just drew this today!!

Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics - Wow, thatโ€™s great!
Post 19 IP   flag post
not bad!
Post 20 IP   flag post

I also did this one too
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks guys. I have some Starslayer 2โ€™s in my 50 cent boxes. This site (and you guys) are quite helpful that way.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I figured if I was ever going to get a Rocketeer sketch it would have to be from someone who worked on the book. Dorman in collaboration with Stevens did the 2nd cover. Next time Mr.Dorman comes to town I'll get a star wars sketch (known much more for his SW covers)

Post 23 IP   flag post
That's incredible
Post 24 IP   flag post
601280 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?