Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch CoversCBCS EventsSignatures

My fantastic 2018 Great Lakes Comic Con exp5618

SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
So for my second year at this small yet jam-packed 'con I upped my game and brought 2 brothers and a friend with me. We got to meet multiple artists, get signatures, chat a bit, and win stuff.

Angel Medina: Super cool Guy, didn't charge for sigs, and had amazing originals at great prices. He loves to nerd out and talk comics. I bought a Carnage sketch from him.

William Messner-Loebs: A living legend to me. He wasn't charging for sigs either! I talked with him the most I think; especially about his writing of Thor when after I presented my Thor 500 for signing.

Jim Lawson: I grew up enamored with TMNT, so getting to meet one of the great TMNT artists was so much fun!
He did a sweet Raphael sketch and sign on the GLCC TMNT variant. I regretfully did not get a pic of this before subbing to CBCS.

Jason Moore: Didn't get to talk with Jason Moore as much, but he did sign my TMNT variant book.

Thom Zahler: Thom had the perfect gift for my daughter; a treasury sized MLP book, signed to her for no extra charge. Thom had sold out of those when I spoke with him later.

There were multiple other artists I just didn't get to.

The highlight of the 2 days: My own brother, who doesn't even collect comics, won the grand prize raffle! That's right, an original copy of Amazing Spider-Man 129! I convinced him to bring it over to Cody at the CBCS booth and get it submitted. Needless to say he was thrilled.

I submitted a handful of books myself I will put in a different thread.

My personal highlight was getting one of the displays for Jim Lawson and Jason Moore's booths showing the cover of the TMNT variant cover. Then Jim signed and sketched it!

Any other people on this forum at this show?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations.
You need to get your non-comic collecting brother to give you that book.
I bought my comic collecting brother a mid 9's copy years ago after I got him into collecting.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Nice report, how much did the sketches cost?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector cawummel private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh I was there yesterday as well! I got my Incredible Hulk King Size #1 signed by Steranko and what an awesome guy with great stories. Chatted with Jim Lawson and Darryl Banks after I got comics signed by them. Afterward I visited with a bunch of independent self publishing artists I know from the Michigan Comic Con scene since my wife was not selling at this one. Had a great time just being able to enjoy and take in the experience

Edit: Forgot to mention I took my nephew along to his first Comic Con. He has decided he must get the rest of Tales of the TMNT from the 80’s and bought #2 and #3 of the first Punisher mini signed by Zeck. I am waiting on his first issue to be sent by CBCS
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

The sketch was $10 but it was unfinished with a stack of other random sketches(Friday.) I brought him some red pencils on Saturday from my own set so he could add some color. An extra $10 for the added penciling and I had myself an original sketch of my favorite villain for $20.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

The sketch was $10 but it was unfinished with a stack of other random sketches(Friday.) I brought him some red pencils on Saturday from my own set so he could add some color. An extra $10 for the added penciling and I had myself an original sketch of my favorite villain for $20.

Great deal on that one. How about the turtle sketch?
Post 6 IP   flag post
drchaos,
The Lawson sign/sketch on the variant cover book was $20.
The sign/sketch on the Jim Lawson booth sign was included as part of the raffle, but I gave him a ten anyway.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Congratulations.
I bought my comic collecting brother a mid 9's copy years ago after I got him into collecting.

That book makes him an official collector. IMO
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I was hoping to make it out there. Had too many family obligations. I set up there the first year that they had it at MCC.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Congratulations.

That book makes him an official collector. IMO

True.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh Why does Cody get all the credit? Show some love! LOL

It was nice meeting you BTW. If you're coming to Motor City in May stop by and see us.
Post 11 IP   flag post
597879 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?