Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern Age

CBCS Pressing and Grading Result #25599

Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
This is why I hate these threads ...I didn't know there was a sailor moon comic and i most certainly didn't know there was a rare one...

so , of course I went and looked it up on eBay and saw there was an even rarer silver version and ended up buying it for what is probably way too much....but hey..its fools like me that keep the market running strong baby!!

So I'm a HUGE anime fan, which is why I even have the Sailor Moon comic. I just found the auction you won, and you are a brave man to buy it on my off the cuff comment. It is pretty rare though because you had to both be a Toyko Pop club member AND be at SDCC in person in 1999 to get the book. Add to that the ravages of 20 years of time, and not many copies exist.

Here is its cousin (Sailor Moon #1 SDCC variant) which is also hard to find, but not as rare as the #11.

just got it in 10 mins ago...its in great shape...frikin mailman left box outside...it was soaked through. Thank god for plastic wrap

but how do I remove enormous amounts of finger prints ?
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Have you tried the microfiber eyeglass wipes? NOT anything wet!
Post 27 IP   flag post
ha! how'd you know I had a wet paper towel in my hand...no, I haven't tried those wipes but I will thnx
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Wow so you took a hit on the 8.5s being pressed from 9.0+ ? There is always an inherent risk that pressing can decrease a grade. There you have it, can even happen to the professionals.

I thought the Evil Ernie's were both 9.0 as-is before the press. The Wolverine #1 looked like a 9.4 pre-press. Here are the post press notes, but even these sound more like 9.0 - 9.2 books, not 8.5.

Evil Ernie #1 Notes:
spine wear & stress breaks color
light surface wear back cover

Evil Ernie #2 Notes:
spine stress breaks color
few light bends front & back cover (shouldn't this press out?)
fingerprints back cover (I never saw these)

Wolverine #1 Notes:
crease top edge front cover breaks color (I never saw this)

Are you saying the Evil Ernie 1, 2 were CBCS 9.0's before being pressed?

Did you sub the books in their slabs or did you cracked them out and bags board them before subbing them?

The cover stock on that 5 issue run of Evil Ernie is easily damages and If pressed in virtually any press other than a seal 160 or 210 ( a press that accolades 2 single books with a 1.5" overlap on all 4 sides of the foam board sheets...that could be the reason for the downgrade itself.

It is not an issue of a pro causing the down grade or a 2 bit hack like myself.

If you pay $10 or $15 ,you are getting what you pay for.

But if you cracked the slabs yourself, it is just as likely that you caused the downgrades either by uneven application of pressure applied when bagging boarding the books initially,. OR uneven pressure transferred onto the areas that had pre-existing spine stress, jacking them up on the way to CBCS.
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Wow so you took a hit on the 8.5s being pressed from 9.0+ ? There is always an inherent risk that pressing can decrease a grade. There you have it, can even happen to the professionals.

I thought the Evil Ernie's were both 9.0 as-is before the press. The Wolverine #1 looked like a 9.4 pre-press. Here are the post press notes, but even these sound more like 9.0 - 9.2 books, not 8.5.

Evil Ernie #1 Notes:
spine wear & stress breaks color
light surface wear back cover

Evil Ernie #2 Notes:
few light bends front & back cover (shouldn't this press out?)
fingerprints back cover (I never saw these)

Wolverine #1 Notes:
crease top edge front cover breaks color (I never saw this)

Did you sub the books in their slabs or did you cracked them out and bags board them before subbing them?

The cover stock on that 5 issue run of Evil Ernie is easily damages and If pressed in virtually any press other than a seal 160 or 210 ( a press that accolades 2 single books with a 1.5" overlap on all 4 sides of the foam board sheets...that could be the reason for the downgrade itself.

It is not an issue of a pro causing the down grade or a 2 bit hack like myself.

If you pay $10 or $15 ,you are getting what you pay for.

But if you cracked the slabs yourself, it is just as likely that you caused the downgrades either by uneven application of pressure applied when bagging boarding the books initially,. OR uneven pressure transferred onto the areas that had pre-existing spine stress, jacking them up on the way to CBCS.

Bolded text is not even close to the truth.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher Nice corners, but did the guy lotion his hands and give the book a friggin' high five! Yeah definitely try the microfiber cloth on a small area and see how that goes.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Oh no, those were my eyeball grades. I didn't see anything I thought would put them in the 8's, but I'm not the expert.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Joe, you are right.

I misspoke and I apologize for not articulating my thoughts concisely.

I actually just logged back on here to edit that part of my post out.

As it stands, it suggests that CBCS may have done subpar work on those 2 books and I do NOT think that is the case...actually, I am sure that is not the case.

I do not think CBCS would do even slightly subpar work and the same holds true for yourself.

Everyone who knows you, and Ricketts, know that you both *consistently* perform excellent work.
Post 33 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Joe, you are right.

I misspoke and I apologize for not articulating my thoughts concisely.

I actually just logged back on here to edit that part of my post out.

As it stands, it suggests that CBCS may have done subpar work on those 2 books and I do NOT think that is the case...actually, I am sure that is not the case.

I do not think CBCS would do even slightly subpar work and the same holds true for yourself.

Everyone who knows you, and Ricketts, know that you both *consistently* perform excellent work.

Understood. In the future it may be best to just post facts instead of speculation and tutorials on how things work.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Watcher Nice corners, but did the guy lotion his hands and give the book a friggin' high five! Yeah definitely try the microfiber cloth on a small area and see how that goes.

lol...no doubt! They are everywhere and includes full hand prints...never seen anything like it. I'll try the cloth this wknd
Post 35 IP   flag post
598080 35 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?