Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
So this is kind of an expansion on the thread @HammitChris posted a few weeks ago about getting Stan's sig on some of his earlier works.

Basically right now I have 8 books tagged by him, I've found the Incredible Hulk 5 that I want and hope to seal the deal on that next week and then it's off to @TrinityComics for their next signing and that will make 9. Since it seems that Stan is going to be at Big Apple Comic-Con this year I decided to go for an even 10. With the Hulk book I will have covered most of his major hero co-creations so I want something different.

Trouble is I'm having difficulty finding a detailed enough bibliography so that I can do a thourogh search and I'm hoping that you guys have some suggestions. I'm definitely more interested in the pre-code horror/sci-fi than the westerns but I might go with one of those 'ditzy girl' (Millie the Model etc) especially if they have a Goldberg cover.

Thanks again.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
If you can find one would suggest Venus #12 from 1951.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
If you can find one would suggest Venus #12 from 1951.

There's one on eBay for $400, that's about my limit too.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Part of the comic written by Stan
Post 4 IP   flag post
a bit pricey but is in a rare book. Keen to see what other suggestions you get
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Rawhide Kid #17 is a key Marvel western.Kirby & Lee book.

I have a raw 1.8 copy with off white/white pages, that I was about to put it up eBay tomorrow at $195 + shipping.

$175 (+ shipping) would be the board price, if interested.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

I have a raw 1.8 copy with off white/white pages, that I was about to put it up eBay tomorrow at $195 + shipping.

I saw a couple of those floating around, I was thinking about clickable text too, just for something different.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
those 'ditzy girl' (Millie the Model) etc

Some of those are going for multiples above guide in high grade. Maybe worth looking at.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:

Some of those are going for multiples above guide in high grade. Maybe worth looking at.

Yeah, I saw a Millie 93 9.4 going for like $1700 on mycomicshop.com, def out of my budget for one book. I'm looking at some Chili, Millie's Rival for dirt cheap but those are a bit later than I really want.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

I saw a couple of those floating around, I was thinking about clickable text too, just for something different.

I would be weary of buying any "production art". I was looking at a similarly titled listing for the cover of Two Gun Kid #60 from a high feedback eBay seller who also "specialized" in production art, but passed on bidding.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273055975990

The odds of that auction being actual production art are slim to none.

Not sure what the production art to the cover of Two Gun Kid 60 is worth but I would guess it would be at least a couple grand.

It would be pretty easy to print whatever production art you wanted, if you are the least bit handy with photo shop.

Just swap out the colors for black & white....find a drafting supplier who has large rolls of older paper stock for sale and whamm-o....

You're in business pumping out production art pieces.

CGC and CBCS won't certify production pages, either.

They will witness and encapsulate them for gold labels, but the label will indicate the paper is of unknown origin and clearly not indicate "production art".

BTW, there are only 4 CGC Signature Series copies of RK #17 in the census.

Stan isn't going to be around much longer and RK is , along with TGK #60, as historically important as the other big Marvel silver keys....if Marvel uses RK and TGK in films...boo yah.

I am pretty sure that Mike Carbo is getting Stan Lee for his 2 day Big Apple con in April. IMHO, Carbo's Big Apple blows Reed Pop's Big Apple out of the water.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Stan Lee File Copy of Millie the Model #171 CGC 7.5 off wht pgs. It states Stan Lee File Copy on the CGC label.

I had a dozen of them about ten years ago, but sold most already. They were Millie's, Strange Tales, and some others I now forget.

I'm not into Stan Lee autographs but I always thought it would be cool to get a book he actually owned signed by him.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

If you want a really low grade one, how’s this copy? The stories are by Stan Lee and the art is by Dan DeCarlo. Some of the stories even say “by Stan and Dan.”

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Quote:

If you want a really low grade one, how’s this copy? The stories are by Stan Lee and the art is by Dan DeCarlo. Some of the stories even say “by Stan and Dan.”

I'm interested, LMK how much you want for it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
"I am pretty sure that Mike Carbo is getting Stan Lee for his 2 day Big Apple con in April. IMHO, Carbo's Big Apple blows Reed Pop's Big Apple out of the water."

I absolutely agree, I try to hit Big Apple every year, I tell my friends that its like a big nerdy flea market.

Thank you for the insights on the 'production' images, I'd probably pass on it anyways, with little ones in the house buying art is usually a bad idea, especially since my wife does not tend to take security nearly as seriously as I do.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
This is not my book, but it'd be neat for him to sign a Western Winners #8 published by Superior Comics with him actually on the cover.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
This is not my book, but it'd be neat for him to sign a Western Winners #8 published by Superior Comics with him actually on the cover.

Was not aware of that book. That IS cool.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Just about anything published by Superior survived in low numbers.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I just checked. And it looks like I only have one book graded and published by Superior. It is a 5.5 and a Canadian Edition.

Never much thought about how few of them are high grade.

I learn something new on this site every week.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I just checked. And it looks like I only have one book graded and published by Superior. It is a 5.5 and a Canadian Edition.

Never much thought about how few of them are high grade.

I learn something new on this site every week.

It's become pretty obvious to EC collectors. Some Canadian EC collectors have been looking for the issues they are missing for a long time.

http://comiclist.000webhostapp.com/Superior/Superior_EC_Index.html
Post 19 IP   flag post
So I'm not nearly done searching yet but I've found about 20 books that interest me, here's my top 5 so far:

Like I said before I like the horror and sci-fi more than the westerns, that said I'm looking for that Black Rider photo cover too.
@conditionfreak, might you be willing to part with that Millie 171? Assuming you are would CBCS acknowledge the fact that it's a Stan Lee file copy?

Again, thank you all for your input.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
For what it's worth the top 3 suggestions I like are a Milly, Rawhide (comic not print) and that strange tales 90.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Was not aware of that book. That IS cool.

The American version of that book is Black Rider 8. It's not easy to find either.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
Might I suggest some of the older "knock off" books :

Homer, the Happy Ghost (Casper knock off) - All issues written by Stan Lee I believe. This was reprinted in the late 60's/early 70's so if you can't find the original, the reprint wouldn't be bad.

Melvin the Monster (Dennis the Menace knock off) - All issues written by Stan Lee I believe

Marvin the Mouse

Mighty Mouse #1 (1946) - While not cheap, pretty cool that he wrote some of the stories in there

Little Lizzie #1

Mystic (1951 series) - He wrote tons of stuff all through this series.

These are just a couple of ideas that I thought were cool for myself as being totally different than the usual. Hope it helps you out.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJ
Might I suggest some of the older "knock off" books :

Homer, the Happy Ghost (Casper knock off) - All issues written by Stan Lee I believe. This was reprinted in the late 60's/early 70's so if you can't find the original, the reprint wouldn't be bad.

Melvin the Monster (Dennis the Menace knock off) - All issues written by Stan Lee I believe

Marvin the Mouse

Mighty Mouse #1 (1946) - While not cheap, pretty cool that he wrote some of the stories in there

Little Lizzie #1

Mystic (1951 series) - He wrote tons of stuff all through this series.

These are just a couple of ideas that I thought were cool for myself as being totally different than the usual. Hope it helps you out.

I've seen a couple Marvin the Mouse #1s and it's on the list, same with Mystic.

I have a deep, personal hatred for Casper the Friendly Ghost comics, so definite no on Homer.

I'll have to check out Little Lizzy, I think I saw a couple in my wide search. Never even heard of Melvin the Monster, gonna have to do some more digging.

Thanks for the tip.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@IronMan maybe I'll just copy you, haven't found a #8 yet though.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm about 90% sure I'm going to go with some GGA, just because it's not like anything I've already got in my collection, here's some contenders:

Chili is Millie the Model's rival, it's a bit later than I'm really shooting for but there's a 9.4 #1 in my price range that I'd consider cracking. #3 has Stan Lee and Stan Goldberg in the story so that's kind of cool.

This one's a contender because Sherry is my wife's name.

Some headlights, er, highlights.

That last one is totally Ms. Grundy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Nice GGA books.

Another under looked book for Stan Lee to sign IMO is Fantasy Masterpieces #1....1966 was the year IIRC....All Atlas sci-fi/monster reprints.

The inside front cover has a full page "pin up" of Stan Lee.
Post 27 IP   flag post
600837 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?