Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Grading Question5543

Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Here we go again true believers! I just acquired this beauty, but it has one flaw - bottom right corner has a color-breaking crease. Otherwise this is a sharp, glossy, umblemished comic. What do the teeming millions (give or take a few hundred thousand) think the highest grade it can achieve given this imperfection?

Thanks!!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
How bad is the tanning on the inside of the cover?
Post 2 IP   flag post

this is with a flash, so the upper area seems more tanned than it actually is - the interior of the front cover is a uniform color
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

Also, has the top been cropped in this image? Difficult for me to tell.

Looks structuralaly solid.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
One Flaw? I see multiples.

All four corners appear to have some degree of blunting or wear

Looks to have color breaking stresses by the staples

Some discoloration along the right side, (thus the previous question of inside cover tanning)

The date stamps are unappealing to me personally

not sure what the black line above the creased corner is... Hair? Writing?

While the book has a nicely centered cover and appears to be structurally sound, It most certainly has more than the one flawed corner crease.

Without seeing the back and actually seeing the book in person its really impossible to venture more than a guess from scan/photos.

John
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

no, just cut by the printer poorly (the image is higher in the page but not cut post printing)
Post 6 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 ok, it isn't a 9.8 with just the crease. The tanning is an issue, but the spine has minor stressing and only one color breaking stress by staples (top of bottom staple) - if you can download the image and zoom in (its a high rez scan) you'll see what I'm talking about. The corners are not razor sharp, but I had a Whiz comics with worse corners get an 8.5 from CBCS, so whether thats a Golden Age bump or just the way they grade I'm not worried about that. And that line is a pencil mark, probably clean off easily. The Date stamps, while I understand they aren't appealing to some, do not affect the grade.

Thanks!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
@BigRedOne1944 ok, it isn't a 9.8 with just the crease. The tanning is an issue, but the spine has minor stressing and only one color breaking stress by staples (top of bottom staple) - if you can download the image and zoom in (its a high rez scan) you'll see what I'm talking about. The corners are not razor sharp, but I had a Whiz comics with worse corners get an 8.5 from CBCS, so whether thats a Golden Age bump or just the way they grade I'm not worried about that. And that line is a pencil mark, probably clean off easily. The Date stamps, while I understand they aren't appealing to some, do not affect the grade.

Thanks!

OK then.. now we are half way there. How about the back?
Post 8 IP   flag post

just noticed that there is a weird tear in the back (top right area) that doesn't reach the edge or spine . . . didn't see that before. Ok, so that's the other "half". I don't have pics of the interior, but lets assume the pages are cream to off-white, everything is tight in the book.

Thanks again!
Post 9 IP   flag post
First things first.... the Otto Graham cover is awesome!

A tear and a creased top left corner (appears to run through the book)

Without seeing the actual book to look for surface flaws on the covers I think Im in the 5.0-7.0 range maybe lower assuming there are likely some other surface imperfections on the covers not visible in the scans.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Also look at the top left corner on the inside front cover. Discoloration and a crease?
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
On the inside of the front cover is an ad for the 1st issue of the House of Mystery. How cool is that?

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
On the inside of the front cover is an ad for the 1st issue of the House of Mystery. How cool is that?

It was right in the sweet zone for Horror comics being popular - Late 1951!!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

no, just cut by the printer poorly (the image is higher in the page but not cut post printing)

Correct. You can tell by the black horizontal line at the bottom. That should be lower.

If that's an actual tear on the back, and the paper is separated, I'd give it no higher than VG/FN, but I wouldn't know what a 3rd Party grader would give it. Without the tear- 6.5-7.0
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

just noticed that there is a weird tear in the back (top right area) that doesn't reach the edge or spine . . . didn't see that before. Ok, so that's the other "half". I don't have pics of the interior, but lets assume the pages are cream to off-white, everything is tight in the book.

Thanks again!

I think you'll get a 6.0 or a 6.5.

The paper looks healthy, book is very structurally solid.Tight spine and very nice eye appeal. The tear being located in an unobtrusive spot on the back cover, and not the front cover, is a plus.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I’m going to go with 6.5 as well. Just cant see it breaking the VF barrier with that flaw. Without it, easy 7
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I’m going to go with 6.5 as well. Just cant see it breaking the VF barrier with that flaw. Without it, easy 7

I was looking at this book earlier on my cell.

Just pulled it up on my desktop now and nah, it's an easy 8.0 to 8.5, without the tear. Possibly a 9.0.

With the tear, I'd say 7.0 to 7.5. Outside chance at 8.0.

A press would help a good deal.

Especially with the fold (?) on the back cover, which kinda looks more like a bend. Even if it is a fold,as it is a white background,pressing would largely negate that defect.

The corner crease/finger bend on the front cover looks pretty faint, barely seems to break cover inks.

@Quabrot, I'd say send it over to Joe and let him work his mojo on it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids thanks. Its a nice book in person which is why I posted because it has some flaws but just looks great.

The bend on the corner on the back is just a bend.

I am planning on sending it (with some of its brothers) to Joe to press and get it graded. In a year I'll be able to report on the final grade . . .
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
@CopperAgeKids thanks. Its a nice book in person which is why I posted because it has some flaws but just looks great.

The bend on the corner on the back is just a bend.

I am planning on sending it (with some of its brothers) to Joe to press and get it graded. In a year I'll be able to report on the final grade . . .

It'll be worth the wait, I think that book will press out nicely. Joe does great work, as you know.

Btw, how did you make out with that Batman #219 that you got off me in trade/cash back at the 2016 Wintercon?

I am pretty sure that you told me your handle was Quabrot on the boards and your name was Joe....If I'm mistaken, my bad. Just curious.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids wow - great memory! Yes, that was me. I haven't sent anything in for grading (or pressing) since then - I keep buying and don't have the money to press/grade. Built up a nice pile of books for Joe and the 3rd party graders!
Post 20 IP   flag post
600891 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?