Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Unusual request part two5528

Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
So. my son is collecting data for his statistics project. As a reminder, he is looking at:
1- Do collectors believe that there is a difference in the aftermarket values of Neswtand vs. Direct Edition comics (if all other factors are identical)
1(a) For the collectors that believe that there is a difference, what do they believe the dollar percentage to be?
2 What is the actual difference?
If you would like to help, please answer the following questions:
=================================================================
Instructions: Answer the following questions based solely on your own opinion. Do not do any research or discuss the questions with anyone else. If you answer “yes” to question # 1, continue on to questions 2, 3 and 4. If you answer “no” to question 1, proceed directly to question # 4.

1. Overall, do you think there is a difference in the aftermarket value of Newsstand vs. Direct edition comics? _____YES _____NO
IF yes, proceed to # 2. If “no” proceed to question # 4

2. Overall, which books do you think are more valuable? _____Newsstand _____Direct market

3. Overall, by what percentage do you think the books you selected in question 2 are more valuable than their counterparts? _____ %

4. If all other factors were identical (IE, book condition, book grade, centering, page color, color vibrancy, ETC.) for a particular book, do you prefer to own a newsstand or direct edition book?
_____ Newstand _____ Direct Edition ______ No preference

====================
you can answer by either copying and pasting the questions (in bold above) into your answer or by answering with the question number and your answer:
Example
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. 10 %
4. no preference
-----
Please do not derail the thread with other conversations as he may need to submit the answers as part of his study.
Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2.newsstand
3. 5%
4.newsstand
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. 10%
4. Newstand.

Tell your son good luck.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newsstand
3. 10%
4. Newsstand
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. 10 %
4. Newstand
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
+1 on all.....10%+ value increase.

Why? limited issue, less produced, certain key issues can command even higher.

IMO.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector tim private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. 5%
4. No Preference
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. 10%
4. Direct Edition
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
1) Yes
2) Newsstand
3) 15%
4) Newsstand
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
1) Yes
2) NS
3) 10
4) DE
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newsstand
3. 25 %
4. Newsstand
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. 5%
4. No Preference

What he said.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
1. Yes
2. Newsstand
3. 25 %
4. Newsstand

What Mike said, but I would put an asterisk on #3. I would pay 25% (maybe higher) for high grade issues, primarily keys in 9.6 or 9.8, but less of a premium, if any, for issues in lower (but still high) grades. Does that make sense?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newsstand
3. 10 %
4. No Preference
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
1. Yes
2. Newsstand
3. 25 %
4. Newsstand

What Mike said, but I would put an asterisk on #3. I would pay 25% (maybe higher) for high grade issues, primarily keys in 9.6 or 9.8, but less of a premium, if any, for issues in lower (but still high) grades. Does that make sense?

Agreed.

1. Yes
2. Newsstand
3. 5-200% depending on grade and year
4. Newsstand
Post 15 IP   flag post
*Tim thinks to himself*

Slowly you are bringing them under your spell!

MUWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

:o)
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It'll catch on as time goes by even further. People are going to beg for newsstand editions to everything #SOON
Post 17 IP   flag post
The hunt for them will be quite invigorating, huh?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to answer this in two parts:

Do I think there is a CURRENT difference in aftermarket value?

1. No
4. Newsstand

Do I think there WILL be a difference in aftermarket values?

1. Yes
2. Newsstand
3. 20%
4. Newsstand

The reason that I clarify the question is this...I rarely ever see books actually labeled and promoted as newsstand vs direct unless it is a recently graded CBCS book that declares it on the label. Therefore, if I am patient, i can pretty much find a newsstand equivalent of most books i'm looking for and i can get them for the exact same price. If the seller isn't specifically promoting or drawing attention to the difference then i think most people (especially not-in-the-know collectors) wouldn't even consider the difference. Even looking at sales of CGC books (which don't designate the difference), I have rarely noticed a difference in sold values if a book is newsstand or direct assuming they are both the same grade.

I think this will slowly start to change as collectors become more informed and I actually credit CBCS and their label distinction with the rise in awareness. If CGC picked up on this trend and started notating the distinction, then it would really help ramp up the awareness.
Post 19 IP   flag post
CGC will put "newsstand edition" on the label, if asked to have it added, but will not do so automatically, because they didn't When I thought they would.

When I questioned it with my grading guy, he called CGC and they said they would add it, IF I sent it back.

I sent it back - Visitor vs the Valiant Universe #1 newsstand...$2.50 price variant (1 of about 15k).

I really thought I wouldn't have to "ask", because other company variants get noticed and those variants are added right away without question.

Is it because a product of when non variants were much more common and the database lacks greatly?

Seriously, a variant is different than the original, and always have been. Grading companies should be aware of them and add the data to the label, especially, if they are doing so with current variants.

Or do Silver, Copper and Bronze age books have to be "extra special" like SW price variants or Jewelry inserts, just to make them extra special and a variant.

Rarity is a double edge sword and can be a double standard.

Be careful.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
bump
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
CGC will put "newsstand edition" on the label, if asked to have it added, but will not do so automatically, because they didn't When I thought they would.

That's really good information to know thanks
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
I'm going to answer this in two parts:

Do I think there is a CURRENT difference in aftermarket value?

1. No
4. Newsstand

Do I think there WILL be a difference in aftermarket values?

1. Yes
2. Newsstand
3. 20%
4. Newsstand

This is my opinion as well. Newstand is currently a niche market that I think will gain in popularity as time goes on.
Post 23 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. Average of 25% but some much higher
4. Newsstand

I see a huge difference in Newsstand/Direct from different eras. 1985 and 2013, for instance. For 1985 books, both versions are typically easy to find for sale. But then try to find the Newsstand versions of any Marvel books from 2013 and its a needle in a haystack.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. 10%
4. Direct edition

I hate barcodes. I never really understood the appeal of buying a book with one on it based its "rarity".

The art itself hasn't changed, the story inside is exactly the same, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
I hate barcodes. I never really understood the appeal of buying a book with one on it based its "rarity". The art itself hasn't changed, the story inside is exactly the same, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
1. Yes
2. Newstand
3. 10%
4. Direct edition

I hate barcodes. I never really understood the appeal of buying a book with one on it based its "rarity".

The art itself hasn't changed, the story inside is exactly the same, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

If you study the circulation history and it's decline to the stands - that is pretty much the driving factor in the discussion and may be why variants exist.

Also, I've noticed some subtle changes to the cover thru art or color - in addition to the common changes - price and possible "insert" variants.

These are actually very early products produced with a barcode, so one could also include that aspect of the book too as a tech history product.

Granted, it is the story and art that should be collected, and they are, but I also think, because they are true first printings as well, rarer in some ways, they are worth the hunt in trying to find them.

IMO of course.

:-)

Cheers!
Post 27 IP   flag post
600893 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?