Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

St. Louis Winter 1 Day CBCS CANCELED5521

Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
Just in case anyone was planning to attend the St. Louis Missouri Winter 1 day comic show to submit CBCS books, they have canceled their appearance. This was the info posted by the event creator...

"Unfortunately due to the beckett purchase of CBCS they are canceling coming to the show.

Apparently they are no longer doing 1 day shows and just informed of this."

This sucks. I sent out several books to be pressed and cleaned in anticipation of submitting at the show to save on shipping costs. Guess I will just wait for everything to get worked out with the company merger before I submit anything else...hopefully, that day is soon. #soon
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
merger bigger & better things #soon lol
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
They're not generating enough business from one day cons? All those potential new customers aren't worth it?? Ok, good to know.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
They're not generating enough business from one day cons? All those potential new customers aren't worth it?? Ok, good to know.

The worst part about it is that at these "smaller" conventions ive seen WAY more ACTUAL comic enthusiasts than at larger pop culture related shows. I guess the exposer at the larger shows is more valuable than getting face to face with their actual target audience.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, keep in mind, it costs a lot of money to setup at a show (booth fees, flights, hotels, shipping materials, etc) and CBCS is still a business first and foremost; they need to evaluate what shows make the most business sense and unfortunately, a 1-day show is likely not going to make the cut. This doesn't mean that CBCS doesn't care about its customers or actual comic enthusiasts. They still need to make strategic business decisions regardless of the fanbase.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Hey guys, keep in mind, it costs a lot of money to setup at a show (booth fees, flights, hotels, shipping materials, etc) and CBCS is still a business first and foremost; they need to evaluate what shows make the most business sense and unfortunately, a 1-day show is likely not going to make the cut. This doesn't mean that CBCS doesn't care about its customers or actual comic enthusiasts. They still need to make strategic business decisions regardless of the fanbase.

I get that. And I would do basically the same thing if it was my business.

But it seems like every week there is another shoe dropping concerning CBCS. It may be the same thing with CGC, I don't know. I don't use them.

But I ain't the first one here on this forum to state it is getting very hard to remain a loyal customer. CGC and PGX, and whobedooby will take my money also. But I only use CBCS.

For now.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
But it seems like every week there is another shoe dropping concerning CBCS. It may be the same thing with CGC, I don't know. I don't use them.

I don't disagree, some of the changes may be disheartening for some and the lack of changes that a lot of us WANT to see isn't helping either. The one thing I will say is CBCS is still a relatively new, growing business. They are evolving and at a much faster rate because they are learning and are trying to make changes to help both the business and the customer (and the industry). CGC has been around for a long time, and if you remember, until CBCS came along, they hadn't really made any major changes in many years (because they didn't need to evolve or grow seeing as they were kind of a monopoly on the grading market). And PGX is....well, PGX....nothing is really ever gonna happen with them lol.

I honestly get frustrated with some of the things that happen or don't happen with CBCS as well (**cough...Census/Registry..cough**) but I am in contact with a lot of people at CBCS often and I know that they have good intentions with their changes even though that might not be super evident to everyone right now.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I was the first one to say it. This merger will suck and it does. Whether it's a one day or a two day CON you don't make money or new customers by staying home. At a Steve Woz's CON in San Jose, California I spent over 4 grand with CBCS. I think that covered more than enough in their expensives. Since CBCS won't be there looks like CGC will get it all.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Because we were purchased by another company we won’t be attending the con. Seems like a weird excuse
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Because we were purchased by another company we won’t be attending the con. Seems like a weird excuse

Exactly. You would think they would take any opportunity they could to PROMOTE the fact of the merger and answer customer questions and concerns.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
CAK may say I’m “maligning” CBCS but I saw the writing on the wall pre-Beckett purchase and dumped all my yellow labeled CBCS comics. I’m glad I did because now you can see the drastic decrease in CBCS eBay auctions and the moderately lower selling prices as well when compared to CGC.

I avoided a loss in value on my collectibles by doing so. Obviously non-signed stuff doesn’t matter because it can be converted to another grading company at any time.

I hope that things improve and CBCS can regain some market share. Competition is always good. Gotta be realistic with what is actually happening to the values at the moment. In my opinion getting Yellow Label CBCS books right now is a bad investment. If you are only interested in collecting for personal purposes then ignore all this.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Companies (at least good companies) constantly evaluate various elements of their business. Sounds like CBCS has done so and concluded that smaller one-day cons are not giving them a big enough return to be worth while. This sucks for those of us that attend these cons. I selfishly wish they would attend these, but I understand if they have made a business decision not to.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Companies (at least good companies) constantly evaluate various elements of their business. Sounds like CBCS has done so and concluded that smaller one-day cons are not giving them a big enough return to be worth while. This sucks for those of us that attend these cons. I selfishly wish they would attend these, but I understand if they have made a business decision not to.

I agree, but you know people. If CBCS is a "No show" then people tend to say "Well I came all this way for nothing." and so they don't feel that they're walking away with nothing they'll go CGC or PXG. Human nature.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I was told they would be there and now cancelation. Lol what a joke as a company.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
So if a con is listed in the "News and Events" section, does that mean they are attending the show? Or is there a separate list. I think this summer I am actually going to submit my first books and I am still deciding which company to use. Figured it would be better to save money by dropping the comics off at a con.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Those that have bought tickets (plane and admission) or made plans to attend this con should call CBCS and let them know that people made plans and spent money for this show and that it's not fair that they canceled.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
So if a con is listed in the "News and Events" section, does that mean they are attending the show? Or is there a separate list. I think this summer I am actually going to submit my first books and I am still deciding which company to use. Figured it would be better to save money by dropping the comics off at a con.

STL was on that list, but has since been removed.

Honestly, I would never go with another company other than CBCS. I've met several of the employees since they started a few years ago, and even with the growing pains of the company I will always be loyal to them. Even if that means keeping my books unslabbed until they straighten everything out. CBCS is superior in grading accuracy & encapsulation by far in my opinion, they just have a few kinks to work out in other areas.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector vfighter private msg quote post Address this user
There is a 2 day Mighty Con in the St. Louis area on 23-24 Jun, hopefully CBCS can come to that. I agree that the smaller cons in the St. Louis area have more actual comic book dealers than the big con that comes through once a year, it's the main reason I quit going to the big con, that and the cost. I'm not going to pay that much to come in just to find out there aren't any comic book dealers.
Post 18 IP   flag post
So the question is Are 2 day cons worth CBCS going to? or is it limited to where the con is being held??
Too bad they can't pay to get preattendence membership for each con to decide if it will be worth going.💸
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Is it specifically one day cons?

Is it possible they won't be doing any cons at all soon?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Is it specifically one day cons?

Is it possible they won't be doing any cons at all soon?

If it's a large con, new clients might be worth going for.
Post 21 IP   flag post
600860 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?