Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Rest of the book 9.6, BUT....5509

Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
How will this one imperfection affect my grade when i submit?

Its pretty much a 9.4/9.6 all round but i know im gonna get hit from the patchy ink on the barcode from removal of a price sticker. Lucky it was only the barcode but im sure it will still drop it the same.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Hard to tell in the bag the extent of defects.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
If it really is a dead on 9.6 besides the UPC area issue, expect anywhere from a 7.0 to 8.5.

7.0/7.5, if there is gummy residue, on top of the paper left from the sticker.

If it is only the loss of cover inks and the small bit of stain left from the sticker, 8.0 is what I would expect.

If you used a chemical to remove the sticker, and the chemical left a residue...you'll get slammed with a restored grade, as well.

Next time you consider removing a sticker from a bok, I'd suggest having a presser who knows what he's doing, examining the book first and removing the sticker himself.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Stupid question, what would the grade or designation be if the sticker was not removed?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Stupid question, what would the grade or designation be if the sticker was not removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki666666
Its pretty much a 9.4/9.6
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like you have a crease top left corner as well?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@poka a slight knock but no crease. Really, I'm just trying to ascertain the level of drop from just a barcode with a little ink missing. There is no residue from the sticker. Theoretically if the rest was perfect.
Post 7 IP   flag post
To me - it doesn’t matter whether ink is missing from the barcode or somewhere else on the cover from removal of the sticker. Would expect it to take a hit
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately ink loss is a huge defect. I wouldnt expect to see this book in VF numbers nevermind NM numbers.

I’d give it a 6.5
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you understood my question. would it be a 9.6 with a notation on the cover(e.g. Qualified grade like an unverified signature present) or it a grade hit as well (and better or worse than removing ink or leaving residue)?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you understood my question. would it be a 9.6 with a notation on the cover(e.g. Qualified grade like an unverified signature present) or it a grade hit as well (and better or worse than removing ink or leaving residue)?

May get a qualified grade over at the other side (see example - not my book) but here it would take a hit on grade for sure
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes you can heat up the sticker, get the glue to soften, and get lucky! Next time. Damned if you don’t for sure.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

You're right, I did
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Shame for that price tag sticker. There are ways that could have been removed easily. Bummer. I'd give it a 8.0 if nothing else wrong with it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
If the ink loss has been caused by sticker and adhesive removal, I imagine the book will take a grade hit. It would probably drop this book's grade to an 8.5 based on prior experience with similar defects, but then, I'm not a professional grader, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@poka a slight knock but no crease. Really, I'm just trying to ascertain the level of drop from just a barcode with a little ink missing. There is no residue from the sticker. Theoretically if the rest was perfect.

There is a stain from the sticker, I can clearly see that.

Assuming the book is a 9.6, between the paper and ink loss and the small stain, 8.0 is expected.

CBCS and CGC both hammer books for stains, especially moderns.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks for the help guys! we shall see... its going in to CBCS for grading and we will let the 'gods' decide!!

I will keep this thread informed of the outcome
Post 17 IP   flag post
601347 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?