Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

No more inner white boxes??5461

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Johnnylray shipping has gone down with Beckett. However, if enough people get damaged books I'm sure they would change back. No more inner boxes, not enough peanuts, etc. I got my shipment and was happy with it, but others have posted pictures that aren't so great.

The white inner boxes are really not needed.

I am sure they were cut out because of that fact, getting damaged slabs is 0% more likely with how CBCS currently ships orders.

Their boxes are thick as can be, slabs are packed well and surrounded with packing peanuts to the very brim of the box.

If you want to talk about cutting corners on packaging, and actually making it pretty damn easy to get damaged slabs....look at CGC'S recent method of shipping smaller orders of a single or up to 3 slabs or so....In a Gemini type mailer with a sheet or two of thin foam wrap.

That has resulted in numerous cracked slabs.

CGC has cut that out after numerous complaints.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker1
That's funny, got a box yesterday and I am planning on calling them today. Long time customer, love CBCS, but I use my own FedEx account for shipping and I was charged $24 for bubble wrap and some peanuts. Seems excessive to me.

Come on.

A single slab in a thick corrugated box with bubble wrap & packaging material weighs slightly over 3 pounds.

Or if you ship in USPS priority boxes (which are considerable thinner than CATS and CGC corrugated shipping boxes, a single slab is 2.6 pounds.

Go onto USPS.com or FedEx.com and check shipping rates for a 3 pound box.

Regular 3 day priority will be about $15-$20.

Full insurance coverage thru Fed Ex accounts for the rest.

Shipping rates, fully insured, are no cheaper at CGC.

I think you misunderstood. He used his own FedEx account that covered the shipping cost. The $24 was the handling fee that CBCS charged him.

I still think the slabs would be insured under CBCS' so coverage.

Depending on the FMV of the slabs, that would be the bulk of the $24.

If they were 4 moderns at a $200 cap per slab, than $24 may be a bit much.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
That's funny, got a box yesterday and I am planning on calling them today. Long time customer, love CBCS, but I use my own FedEx account for shipping and I was charged $24 for bubble wrap and some peanuts. Seems excessive to me.

Come on.

A single slab in a thick corrugated box with bubble wrap & packaging material weighs slightly over 3 pounds.

Or if you ship in USPS priority boxes (which are considerable thinner than CATS and CGC corrugated shipping boxes, a single slab is 2.6 pounds.

Yeah, my comment was to express my mild state of amazement that I am routinely charged $24 for about 50 cents worth of supplies. Sorry it wasn't more clear.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SD2416 private msg quote post Address this user
When you use your fed-ex account, you have to tell customer service to insure for the declared value. If you do not, then they will send it out without insurance. The only way their (CBCS) insurance covers it is if you use their shipping.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Quote:

Come on.

I think you misunderstood. He used his own FedEx account that covered the shipping cost. The $24 was the handling fee that CBCS charged him.

I still think the slabs would be insured under CBCS' so coverage.

Depending on the FMV of the slabs, that would be the bulk of the $24.

If they were 4 moderns at a $200 cap per slab, than $24 may be a bit much.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
My understanding is that the white boxes are gone for good. I'm sure there are a couple of reasons for this:

1. Cutting shipping costs...those boxes are probably cheap but they aren't free.
2. Constructing and filling the boxes takes time and CBCS is doing everything they can to cut turnaround times.
3. All the boxes had only CBCS branding and that #CBCSBOX promotion (which i think was rarely ever followed through anyways) so now with Beckett they probably didn't want to reprint the boxes with new graphics/branding

I personally loved the white boxes because they were excellent single-slab shippers but I can understand why CBCS eliminated them from a business standpoint.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@RyanHicks it’s been 4 months since Beckett bought CBCS. What positive changes have happened? I don’t mean cost cutting changes but like customer retention?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
#soon
Post 32 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@RyanHicks it’s been 4 months since Beckett bought CBCS. What positive changes have happened? I don’t mean cost cutting changes but like customer retention?

12-18 months is normal to see positive changes from a business merger or purchase. Typically the first 6-9 months things are worse. Personnel and staffing are reevaluated, hiring and replacement of staff slow down, any duplication of duties examined and consolidated.

Once the new owners understand the processes, the business and become familiar with staff then you see the positive changes.

#soon can be on a calendar or on a watch. This is a calendar. A YEARLY calendar.

As for the topic of the opening post. The white inner boxes were a waste of money. A sturdy box, bubble wrap and maybe some packaging peanuts safely ships slabbed comic books. If eliminating the inner boxes held of shipping pricing increases, great. CGC has quietly increased their FedEx/UPS shipping prices.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
The white inner boxes were a waste of money.

I respectfully disagree with the sentence above. A lot of customers, including me, really like the white boxes. They are great for storing slabs. That's what I use mine for. It seems to me if these boxes are really so costly, why did CBCS start using them to being with? I don't think using them will send CBCS into the red. It's really just cutting corners. My two cents.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
Quote:

I respectfully disagree with the sentence above. A lot of customers, including me, really like the white boxes. They are great for storing slabs. That's what I use mine for. It seems to me if these boxes are really so costly, why did CBCS start using them to being with? I don't think using them will send CBCS into the red. It's really just cutting corners. My two cents.

Not applying this here to CBCS & the boxes necessarily, but sometimes I don't think the above emboldened is as much a factor as how much more it puts "them" in the black.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

These are much better and useful. Just (respectfully) sayin...

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-box

And the only purpose of packaging anything for shipment is to get the product where it is going safely.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS I agree with what you're saying, but it's really putting them more in the black at the expense of better customer satisfaction. That's my opinion, anyway.

@IronMan I personally have no need for a short box that holds that many slabs because I don't have that many to fill it. I like to store my slabs lying flat in the white CBCS boxes. The white CBCS boxes were just a nice bonus to the fees they charge. I like them a lot. As far as packing is concerned, the bubble wrap and peanuts serve the purpose of protecting the comics and slabs. From what I've been reading on Facebook, I'm not the only who likes the inner white CBCS boxes. It's not a point of contention; it is a point of disappointment (for some) that they stopped using them.
Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
If your book is lost in bubble wrap or in a white box. It is still lost. Now, having said that.

If I was running the show at CBCS, I would be offering boxes on my shipped books for .50 cents additional each, and have it on the initial order sheet as an option.

In business, you should always offer options that increase the bottom line. It can't possibly cost them a half dollar for a box. Probably more like .20 cents or less.

You're welcome CBCS.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
If your book is lost in bubble wrap or in a white box. It is still lost. Now, having said that.

If I was running the show at CBCS, I would be offering boxes on my shipped books for .50 cents additional each, and have it on the initial order sheet as an option.

In business, you should always offer options that increase the bottom line. It can't possibly cost them a half dollar for a box. Probably more like .20 cents or less.

You're welcome CBCS.

I suspect your 50 cents is close to CBCS's actual cost.

CBCS's white box is a single cut sheet of cardboard prefolded. The CBCS box is a little bigger and heavier cardboard stock than the least expensive "flip and ship" or "flash" mailers. Order 3,000 at a time and you can get the flip and ship mailers down to about 28 cents each. Plus shipping. CBCS has to pay for shipping unless they have found a supplier near St. Petersburg. The CBCS box is also white on one side with printing. It's higher quality all around than what I compare it to.

I order the flip & ship mailers in quantity - and with shipping I'm paying right at 50 cents each. CBCS could order larger quantities still. But considering that each box is a larger quantity of cardboard and it's heavier cardboard, I suspect 50 cents each would just cover their costs.

But your idea has merit. CBCS could sell these separately or include them as an option (at additional cost) for shipping.
Post 39 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Yea. .50 cents or a buck. Either way, there is additional money to be had there by CBCS. And a slight but measurable customer appreciation aspect.

I know that if I was sending in a stack of books costing me a thousand dollars in fees. I would pay an additional $20 bucks for my twenty books to be in those white boxes when they head my way. And the boxes would last me forever. Or I could use them to help package/ship books I might sell.

Seems like a no brainer to me. But I am sure there are things I am not taking into consideration. Business's often have hidden costs unseen by us consumers.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

These are much better and useful. Just (respectfully) sayin...

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/graded-comic-book-box

And the only purpose of packaging anything for shipment is to get the product where it is going safely.

I received one the other day. The new boxes seem far more flimsy than the white ones.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user

Received my books back today. No inner box, which I can accept as long as there is sufficient packaging within the box to prevent damage IF there were to be any shipping mishaps. There was barely any 'peanuts' within the box as you can with room for a lot more filler.

Luckily there was no damage or shipping issues so its a bit of a pointless rant but with 17 books it would surely be more cost effective to protect these sufficiently than risk a big insurance claim. No courier insurance would pay out with this image showing insufficient protection.

Nothing major in my books but ill post a 'mail call' thread if anyone wants to see.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@rtdcomics show me what you got sir.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@rtdcomics show me what you got sir.

Just thought you might like to know he posted a new thread to show off his books: rtdcomics' books fresh from CBCS
Post 44 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdcomics

Received my books back today. No inner box, which I can accept as long as there is sufficient packaging within the box to prevent damage IF there were to be any shipping mishaps. There was barely any 'peanuts' within the box as you can with room for a lot more filler.

Luckily there was no damage or shipping issues so its a bit of a pointless rant but with 17 books it would surely be more cost effective to protect these sufficiently than risk a big insurance claim. No courier insurance would pay out with this image showing insufficient protection.

Nothing major in my books but ill post a 'mail call' thread if anyone wants to see.

Yes, that's kind of slim on the packing peanuts, leaving lots of room for a mishap. You just never know when your package might encounter an Ace Ventura.
Post 45 IP   flag post
600794 45 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?