Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Magazines

CBCS Raw Grade: odd sized books5448

Collector Saint_Doyle private msg quote post Address this user
Can the Raw Grade service create specifically sized backboards? I recently acquired a Warrior Magazine 1 and found that it is just a bit taller than the tallest Gerber Fullbacks (858FB Standard Magazine sized): 8 5/8" x 11 1/2".

If I were to submit this book for a raw grade would it come back with a board that was sufficiently tall?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
You could probably cut a "Life" magazine board to fit.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
Just get 2 and off set them and tape them together.

most often they will use a full size magazine setting so it will have a little free look around the boarder but they will make sure it will not move once in the protecter
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Iā€™m more impressed with the quality of that Warrior 1 corner. Gorgeous!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzbe
got a posting to ebay posting to share

X-Men 35 vol.1 PGX 6.5 ( first app. Spiderman in X-Men ) in a ebay auction

www.ebay.com/itm/183059766412?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Are you in the right thread?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
No, he's not...and pics of PGX slabs are not allowed on this forum, at all.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, there's that, too.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Doyle
Can the Raw Grade service create specifically sized backboards? I recently acquired a Warrior Magazine 1 and found that it is just a bit taller than the tallest Gerber Fullbacks (858FB Standard Magazine sized): 8 5/8" x 11 1/2".

If I were to submit this book for a raw grade would it come back with a board that was sufficiently tall?

No idea, I'd send Brock a PM to make sure, before you send it off.

Isn't that the 1st V for Vendetta?

If the rest of the book looks like that corner, that is a book that is worth encapsulation.

Will CGC not slab it due to the size?

If it is for your own collection, and you simply prefer CBCS over CGC, I would say just wait in til CBCS offers magazine grading/encapsulation.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Yes it is, to answer my own question.

Looked it up in GPA. ..so yup, CGC will slab it.

Only 2 sales in GPA....A 6.5 in 12/17 at $250 and a 6.0 in 7/17 at $200.

Yeah, definitely have the book encapsulated. Forget a raw grade.

How sweet is the rest of the book?

It is odd that 2 copies are only showing up in GPA, both of which were sold fairly recently.

If you want to get first to market price on a highest graded copy, I'd say sub her to CGC now.

If 2 copies sold recently, that could mean a batch of Warrior 1's was recently found.

That said...

I'd get moving while the gettin's good, hoss.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I've got some odd/oversized/mag-sized comic books I'd like slabbed. No big rush on them but hoping CBCS is working on providing the service. Maybe now with Beckett things will crank that direction.šŸ˜Ž
Post 10 IP   flag post
CGC returned my Warrior 1 last fall, they said it was slightly to tall. They mentioned some are taller than others, most will be returned.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Saint_Doyle private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for your response, Homer. That was precisely what I was afraid might happen.

And for the record, I muchly prefer mylars and fullbacks over thick slabs. I have too many comics to slab them all. I think the Raw Grade is a brilliant idea.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Since CBCS "raw grades" Treasury Size comics, they could most certainly do a raw grade on Warriors 1. The real question is do they have access to some oversize magazine bags/boards or would it come back in a Treasury Size bag & board.

I have sent in two Warriors 1's to CGC so far. First one got rejected, second one slabbed. I sent a note along with the second one practically begging them to slab it. IDK if that made any difference. They say the height varies on the book and some can, some can't be slabbed. Make the damn label smaller, right??

1st V for Vendetta and 1st Miracleman. Awesome book. And while I'm only seeing a corner, your's looks lovely. Mine got a 7.5

CAK - I doubt there is any big "batch" found. The book can be found from UK sellers, which is where I got mine. Although I've been keeping my eye out for years on this book and high grade is certainly scarce. The problem with the CGC census (only 12 copies slabbed) is that CGC appears to reject most of them sent in as not fitting in their holder. Speaking of the CGC census, only 1 @ 9.2, 2 at 8.0 and 1 @7.5
Post 13 IP   flag post
The taller size created a perfect storm for eliminating high grade copies, if one stored them with Warren magazines the top edge was crunched.

I'm in utter amazement of the quality of that top corner posted by the OP.

I have looked at a lot of Warrior mags, and have never seen the top corner of a #1 anywhere near that sharp.
Post 14 IP   flag post
597993 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?