Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsMemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop Culture

My 1st comic ever. What was yours???5418

Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I remember my first book which I believe was a Lois Lane or Superman book. Lois and some other ladies turned into these bug creatures.Just the bottom half was a bug and the upper torso was normal. I just can't remember for sure. If that sounds familiar to anyone, let me know what you think. It was in the 70's but not sure if the book was older. It would be nice to have a copy of it now. I think the first book I remember buying off the spinner rack was E-Man #3.

Was it this story from Lois Lane #69?

http://atomic-surgery.blogspot.com/2010/12/beware-of-bug-belle-weirdest-lois-lane.html?m=1
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector seanw private msg quote post Address this user
For me, the first comic that I consciously remember buying was Thor #388. Those days I was into only 2 things, anything to do with vikings and x-men (in particular, Wolverine). My older brother did let me read his Daredevil comics when he was done with them before I started buying my own. Those days, there were comic shops everywhere, now only 4 remain....kinda sad.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
This is the oldest one I remember owning. My parents would give us comics to shut us up and keep our minds occupied on long vacation road trips.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I remember my first book which I believe was a Lois Lane or Superman book. Lois and some other ladies turned into these bug creatures.Just the bottom half was a bug and the upper torso was normal. I just can't remember for sure. If that sounds familiar to anyone, let me know what you think. It was in the 70's but not sure if the book was older. It would be nice to have a copy of it now. I think the first book I remember buying off the spinner rack was E-Man #3.

Was it this story from Lois Lane #69?

http://atomic-surgery.blogspot.com/2010/12/beware-of-bug-belle-weirdest-lois-lane.html?m=1
Wow! That is it.How did you know? Thanks. I will be looking for a copy of that now.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Can't remember exactly but my very first comic purchase would have been an Archie series at the age of 8.

Three years later (1969), my first superhero purchase was ASM 77,... simply because of the awesome cover. After reading it, I totally ditched Archie, and my allowance/lunch money was spent on every Marvel superhero title I could get my hands on.

I semi-hoard 77 for sentimental reasons.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! That is it.How did you know? Thanks. I will be looking for a copy of that now..

I wish I had a clever answer, but it was the first result for Google search “Lois Lane bug.”
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
I had a few firsts lol

I have no idea why this book... it clearly sucks. Maybe I could feel their love together as a 9 year old kid

But then I got a few books here or there until these 2 titles got me into serious collecting:

Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
It's one of these two. The Spectacular Spider-Man I remember pulling from a dollar bin and I still remember picking up the Spider-Man 2099 from the rack at a gas station near where I used to live. Both read till the covers came off.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
My first comics were old Flash books at the cottage and other ratty books from used book stores or salvation army. Some other early ones were Secret Wars that my Mom sent to me while away at summer camp (rolled in a tube) - don't have the Flash books (they stayed at the cottage and then disappeared) but I still have all the Secret Wars books. I remember a cross country trip to visit my Uncle and Aunt in British Columbia and picking up the Kravens last Hunt books that summer - just great - got them all graded (not pressed) and signed by Zeck -none lower than 9.2 (not bad 12/13 year old me, not bad)

Still have my Star Wars read along books (and tapes in a box somewhere!)

First mail away subscription was Hawk and Dove (signed by Mark and Barb Kesel? on the inside) think it was $10 or $12 for 13 issued including delivery!!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I broke my leg and was in the hospital for almost 2 months so my father went out and bought a random stack of comic books. There was some Archie, a couple of Superman and some of the DC Star Trek books, and on the bottom was one that I had never heard of, X-Factor #1. He said it was new and he thought I might like reading something that was just starting. By the time the Simonsons took over I was hooked and X-Factor was all I was interested in reading until about the time Inferno came out. As for the first comic I bought myself it was What If? #50, What if the Hulk had Killed Wolverine? The cover just screamed out to me and I had to buy it. I still have that X-Factor #1 and What If? #50.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I know as kids, we spent a lot of time down at "Pinky's" Soda shop. He had a Magazine rack full of books and comics. We would hang around the rack and read the comics for free, until ole Pink ran us off.

The book that grabbed my attention some years later and the book I credit with re introducing me to the hobby was Grim Jack #5

The Jericho Noleski Panel will forever be etched in my memory.

The Tim Truman art was just so detailed and gritty and John Ostrander's storylines were not your normal "Pow" "Wham" books aimed at 10 year olds.

I credit many of the Independent Titles from the mid eighties, like First Comics for paving the way and leading the comic book industry to more adult oriented titles and storylines.

The rest is history
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
This string is amazing. Thank you everyone for sharing. I wish my kids (Now grown) had the opportunity to be newspaper boys or girls which is where I discovered my love for comics (Marvel) and trading books and reading them cover to cover (even the editorial articles). Every Friday a group of newspaper guys and myself would meet up at one of our houses and trade comics, no one cared about condition back then and never heard of bags and boards yet alone slabbing! Thanks again for stirring up some fond memories! Nuff said.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing like memory lane. All good stuff guys.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
uncanny xmen 176 it was a great story, and i was hooked.

I think you mean the one with cyclops fighting an octopus on the cover....maybe by JRjr....good stuff.

fixed 177, its right i put in the wrong number, edit & fixed
Post 39 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
This is my first comic book ever (Below) I remember reading the story, starting out in the Houston Astrodome and they're taken away, dead, to battle each other by these cosmic beings. I was amazed by the concept and all in from that first read. I never know how the battle ended or really the meta story around this issue but I didnt need to

It wasn't until MANY many years later that I learned WCA Annual #2 was part of a 2-part follow up to the Contest of Champions, one of the original true Marvel events

Post 40 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
One of the first comics I owned (I still have it).

Six comics I bought with my own money (age 7) on the same day when they came out.

I forget what the sixth book was so this is just a guess

Post 41 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user

I didn't discover comics til the early 90s cause I was still living in another country.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
G I Joe 1 was my first book.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are awesome, I'm loving it! The stories and memory lane trips are so cool and fun to read. Although I already posted my very first comic, ASM 375 changed the game for me. Its the first book that launched me into collecting. I hoard this book in US editions and have been tracking down every possible edition in any language.

Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
Martymann you made me feel like a kid again ty.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Question i have is how many people use to read the comics in news paper? and what memory do you have?
Post 46 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzbe
Question i have is how many people use to read the comics in news paper? and what memory do you have?

Used to love Andy Capp - I was a messed up kid I think
Post 47 IP   flag post
I loved Charlie Brown and Snoopy
Post 48 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

I've totally forgotten all about Andy Capp - had many of the paper backs. That was some good reading.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:

I LOVED Bloom County as a kid, even though I didn't get a lot of the political humor I loved it when Portnoy and Hodge-Podge would go hunting for hunters ("Use the hunter's call, that'll lure them in. FREE BEER!" and the monster in the anxiety closet always made me laugh.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Quote:

I LOVED Bloom County as a kid, even though I didn't get a lot of the political humor I loved it when Portnoy and Hodge-Podge would go hunting for hunters ("Use the hunter's call, that'll lure them in. FREE BEER!" and the monster in the anxiety closet always made me laugh.

Bloom County was awesome! Opus (the penguin) and Bill (the cat with cocaine fried brain). Very political at times. I believe it was Opus that made the comment back in the '80s "Ronald Reagan sucks!", which initiated the demise (or semi-demise) of the strip
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Quote:

Bloom County was awesome! Opus (the penguin) and Bill (the cat with cocaine fried brain). Very political at times. I believe it was Opus that made the comment back in the '80s "Ronald Reagan sucks!", which initiated the demise (or semi-demise) of the strip

I still have all the books except for Loose Tails, which disintegrated from rereading. My Billy and the Boingers record didn't make it either.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Bloom County was my favorite followed by the Far Side.
Post 53 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't read the daily comics
and on Sundays I had the joy of UNCLE DON reading me the funnies from
the NEW YORK JOURNAL-AMERICAN on WOR Radio.
I also was always pleased to find a copy of TIP TOP COMICS or ACE
COMICS or KING COMICS on the newsstand that carried reprints of
earlier episodes of my favorite strips. SUPER COMICS was also
an other favorite with early DICK TRACY strips.

Marty
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

I loved Calvin and Hobbes, Far Side, Peanuts, Bizarro strips. Im sure there are some I am forgetting, its been too long since I've read a np comics strip/.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601347 78 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?