Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

CGC Green Label to CBCS Blue Label5403

Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all, I recently acquired a Mystery Men Comics #1 1.5 CGC Green Label, it was given a green label due to a married cover via tape. My question is, if I send it in to be regraded/slabbed by CBCS what should I expect? I mainly want to get rid of the green label for obvious reasons, but I'm curious how CBCS will approach it. Thanks all!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
1.0 Restored label. Cover married. Amateur restoration includes tape.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
1.0 Restored label. Cover married. Amateur restoration includes tape.


Since there's virtually no statistics on this comic specifically, do you think that decreases the value, leaves it about the same, or increases it?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Out of curiousity, what’s the obvious reasons you’d like to get rid of the green label?

I mean isn't it the correct label for the book?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user



ZERO sales. You control the market, brah.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
Out of curiousity, what’s the obvious reasons you’d like to get rid of the green label?

I mean isn't it the correct label for the book?


Well the green label is used for comics that have signatures that weren't witnessed or comics that have damage to the point that it needs to be notated on the label. In this case its "Married Cover. (Spine of cover completely split & cover detached. Tape on interior)". I would think that this would be a purple label since the cover has been taped on, but it isn't. I'm honestly not sure how CGC determines what label they use in this instance but my main question is is does the book benefit from being re-submitted to CBCS? Because my initial assessment is that it would.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke



ZERO sales. You control the market, brah.


Well there will be one sale, I bought this one from eBay, it probably just hasn't populated on GoCollect yet.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Here it is for reference.



Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i'd keep the qualified label instead of restored
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's a green label because the cover isn't original to the comic inside. Someone had a coverless copy and acquired that cover to go with it. At least that's my understanding of the definition of married as it pertains to comic books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you @c2t2merch for the response.

I’m not very familiar with restored books. So much so that when I read your post my mind mistakenly read purple when it clearly states it’s a green label.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It's a green label because the cover isn't original to the comic inside. Someone had a coverless copy and acquired that cover to go with it. At least that's my understanding of the definition of married as it pertains to comic books.


I understand that aspect of it, I'm just not sure why it was given a green label instead of a purple label if its considered restoration.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I would keep as is.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
Thank you @c2t2merch for the response.

I’m not very familiar with restored books. So much so that when I read your post my mind mistakenly read purple when it clearly states it’s a green label.


Yeah that's exactly my problem as well, just like you I would assume that marrying a cover would be considered restoration, I'm not really complaining because the green label is far better than the purple one. Would CBCS consider this to be restoration however?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think married wraps and pages are considered restoration. Also, someone posted an Amazing Spider-Man #1 CBCS 1.8 that had tape all over it and it wasn't listed as being restored.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I don't think married wraps and pages are considered restoration. Also, someone posted an Amazing Spider-Man #1 CBCS 1.8 that had tape all over it and it wasn't listed as being restored.


So in theory if submitted to CBCS it would receive a blue label with a note saying "married cover, etc" but would not be labeled restored?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would think it would be a blue label, but take a grade hit. However, that's just a guess. You would have to ask someone at CBCS.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@c2t2merch What is your end goal with switching? Are you planning to sell it?

Historically CGC sells for more (when considering other books as this has no history) and as others have mentioned you actually might get a grade decrease.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@c2t2merch What is your end goal with switching? Are you planning to sell it?

Historically CGC sells for more (when considering other books as this has no history) and as others have mentioned you actually might get a grade decrease.


No intention to ever sell, I just want it to be at its highest value possible just in case there is ever a situation in which it needs to be sold.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
* This is definitely not a suggestion *

For learning purposes, if one were to remove the tape/glue from this book with an assumption it’s done without causing any additional defects to the book. What would the new CGC/CBCS labels and grades be?

I have no doubts it’s never as easy as the above question implies, just curious is all.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
The reason I say that is because typically from what I've seen green/purple labels are worth less than blue labels even if the blue label is a notch or two lower on the grade. This is book is so rare that maybe it doesn't matter but I'm just trying to make the best of it. From what you all have said, I probably will not have it submitted and if I ever do it'll be in person/on-site so that I can speak with a CBCS representative before making a final decision. Obviously if it does have any restoration (which would mean CGC didn't detect it) or if it would receive below a suitable grade at least equal in value then I would just leave it be.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
* This is definitely not a suggestion *

For learning purposes, if one were to remove the tape/glue from this book with an assumption it’s done without causing any additional defects to the book. What would the new CGC/CBCS labels and grades be?

I have no doubts it’s never as easy as the above question implies, just curious is all.


I would like to know this as well.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
i'd keep the qualified label instead of restored


CBCS does not give a restored label to married pages.

Universal blue label, with a note on the label that says what wrap is married. I've done it a few times.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
s given a green label due to a married cover via tape


CBCS does not give a restored label to married pages.

Universal blue label, with a note on the label that says what wrap is married. I've done it a few times.


Have you ever sent in a CGC green label to them with the same situation? If so how much of a grade hit would you say on average you typically took? (Obviously this will differ from book to book)
Post 24 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@c2t2merch I have cracked green labels, added the missing wrap, and sent in to CBCS. Its been a while, last one I did was in '16. Superman #11 missing centerfold. I lost a full grade point, but it was likely due to that the centerfold was of lesser quality paper, and CGC does tend to grade a bit higher in my experience.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2t2merch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
s given a green label due to a married cover via tape


CBCS does not give a restored label to married pages.

Universal blue label, with a note on the label that says what wrap is married. I've done it a few times.


Have you ever sent in a CGC green label to them with the same situation? If so how much of a grade hit would you say on average you typically took? (Obviously this will differ from book to book)


The Married Pages should not cause a grade hit, just a note. As for the tape, I have had up to a 3.5 with taped spine before.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@c2t2merch I have cracked green labels, added the missing wrap, and sent in to CBCS. Its been a while, last one I did was in '16. Superman #11 missing centerfold. I lost a full grade point, but it was likely due to that the centerfold was of lesser quality paper, and CGC does tend to grade a bit higher in my experience.


@shrewbeer For the Superman #11, is the CBCS universal at that grade still worth more than the higher CGC green?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
One of the problems I have with married pages or back covers is. Some books have changeable ad pages and or back covers that were produced throughout that months production. Which means it’s possibly with certain books that you can chop up a $5.00 western or funny animal and marry ad pages to a valuable super hero key. So a married ad page or back cover is not guaranteed to be from that specific book.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@c2t2merch A CGC green label is a PRETEND grade. A book missing a centerfold is a poor at best, incomplete book .3 at worst. Pretty sure its the latter.

It is now a 4.5, certainly be worth more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
One of the problems I have with married pages or back covers is. Some books have changeable ad pages and or back covers that were produced throughout that months production. Which means you it’s possibly with certain books that you can chop up a $5.00 western or funny animal and marry ad pages to a valuable super hero key. So a married ad page or back cover is not guaranteed to be from that specific book.


That would be very hard to do, both sides of the paper would have to be identical. I have seen slabs with notes like "wrong back cover", "wrong X-wrap" etc though
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer I figured as much, so in your opinion would my book benefit from being submitted to CBCS?
Post 30 IP   flag post
156860 43 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute