Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
which is the more desirable and which has the most room to grow? ASM #129 or ASM 300? Both CGC 8.0. If they are both played out or no longer worth their price tag please state that. Lastly, what would be good purchase prices.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 129
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Good question!

On one you have Venom, with a super cool Todd McFarlane cover. It's nothing short of iconic. Massive print run though. I think demand is higher for this book, but due to the massive number of available copies, is not worth as much as the 129.

On the other, we have a cool cover and Punisher, and much more rare.

Room to grow? There's an even better question. How much longer will this comic book bubble sustain (or is it not a bubble at all)?

Bottom line, I think both have equal room to grow; but if the venom movie kills it, expect asm to grow even further than it already has. Right now I would buy the #300.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Black Lightning #1. Punisher #2. Venom #3. Heroes do better than villains
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
for the difference in price; I'd get ASM 300 8.0 but I would want the ASM 129 8.0. there appears to be about a $1000 difference in favor of ASM 129......get the ASM 300.

If Tom Hardy kills it as Venom and the movie overall is great, a renewed and vigorous enthusiasm for Venom is likely.....not guaranteed...but probable.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Tom Hardy

He has one way of acting, there will be no surprises there. Going to be a matter of if people are ok with the mumbling quiet tough-guy type as venom.
Post 6 IP   flag post
You mean the way Ryan Reynolds was not a good Hal Jordan/ Green Lantern but was a great Wade Wilson/ Deadpool
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I think Tom Hardy is going to be great as Venom. Better than Eric Foreman. Sheesh.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Pixx_L private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I think Tom Hardy is going to be great as Venom. Better than Eric Foreman. Sheesh.

To be fair - though not the look for Eddie Brock - I thought Topher Grace did a pretty nice job with the character emotionally.

Tom Hardy will probably be a better fit. And while the cast looks great (Michelle Williams, Woody Harrelson, Jenny Slate etc.) I'm not hopeful the mediocre talents of the Director Ruben Fleischer (Gangster Squad/Zombieland) will translate to anything visionary or memorable (few comic book movies are) - though I hope I'm wrong.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I would want ASM 129 over a #300 any day of the week. As a long time collector.

But as for the general public? That is a hard choice. Because of movies, they probably don't know anything about Frank Castle.

Go with the one you will enjoy owning most.

As to going prices on any comic book. Just do a search on Ebay under "completed auctions".
Post 10 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
For me the older the better, so I prefer the ASM #129. However, investment wise, the first appearance of a character with a hit movie will ususlly outweigh the first appearance of a character with a hit TV show. Meaning ASM #300 could be huge, especially if it turns into a franchise with sequels. As mentioned, ASM #129 has the advantage in terms of age and relative “scarcity”.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Well I think I have an awesome opportunity to make a deal on a ASM #300 for less than $340 graded CGC 9.4 WP. Working out some details. Will keep you posted if you guys are interested.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Aaahhhh looks like $375 is what he will do now. Thoughts? Not a great deal right?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
GoCollect has the Fair Market Price for ASM #300 9.4 @ $425

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/150744

So while $340 would have been a great deal, $375 is still pretty decent. Prices for #300 are only going up so my opinion wold be to grab it now or wait until after the movie to see if it bombs and the prices go back down a little.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@bythegram thanks for the info. I think I will jump in.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I think ASM 129 is the better investment.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
ASM 129 is the better investment for several reasons.

Both books sold in about the same numbers - the average paid circulation was probably about 285,000 copies for each issue.

ASM 129 is 14 years older (1974 vs 1988) than ASM 300. That is 14 extra years of wear & tear and being thrown away.

In 1974, comic books were still sold on the newstands to both collectors and the general public. By 1988, 90% of comics sold were sold directly to comic book stores. COLLECTORS shop at comic book stores. And collectors are far, far more likely bag, board and store safely store away their comic books.

Tying in with the above, comic book collecting in 1974 was still in it's infancy. The first Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide was published just four years earlier in 1974. My brother and I considered ourselves "comic book collectors" by 1968. But there were no comic book stores in the fourth largest city in Indiana. You couldn't find collector supplies like bags and boards. We stored our "good" books in plastic freezer bags.

Time will tell if Venom proves to be as popular a character as the Punisher. Punisher and Wolverine were major turning points in comic books. The introduction of the grim and gritty, violent antihero vigilante. (Punisher was first by 7-8 months) Even if Venom turns out to be as popular, I can't see the character being as important Punisher and Wolverine.

Add to this their will be far more copies and far far more High Grade copies available of ASM 300 then ASM 129 the case for 129 being the better investment seems convincing.

To illustrate graphically what I speak of - let's look at the CGC census (the number of CGC graded copies for the two books. And keep in mind that ASM 129 would have been a major KEY book far longer than ASM 300 has been.

ASM 129 (total CGC graded 8,968)
9.9 -0-
9.8 104
9.6 296
9.4 600
9.2 664

ASM 300 (total CGC graded 15,268)
9.9 -10-
9.8 764
9.6 2165
9.4 2484
9.2 1812
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
It's harder to find Spidey 129 in high grade.

I'd definitely pick up a nicer one than my 4.5 if I could, but that TOS 52 upgrade I did recently drained my comic book fund for now. That is, until SDCC in July.
Post 18 IP   flag post
600646 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?