Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
She Hulk #1 CGC 9.8 for $195. Good deal?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
First series?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
about average...recent sale son the bay are slightly less.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It’s a February 1980 book
Post 4 IP   flag post
@gman I just don’t want to overpay. If it is in ball park ($5-$10) I’m ok with it. Thanks for your research.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicnewbie Honest and maybe a stupid question. Why a 9.8? Do you just want to have it in the highest grade?

The reason I ask is that you could get a 9.6 for about half the price of that 9.8 and a 9.4 for almost a third of that price.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Also being honest, I am new to this and I am coming from the coin side of investing/collecting (I know there is a difference)but in the coin world we always strived for the highest grade affordable. And if something we wanted wasn’t affordable then it was passed on. That’s the investment side of it. I don’t know that if there comes a time to sell a 9.6 or a 9.4 that it will be desirable when a 9.8 is/was affordable. So if it’s a good price and I am able to afford it, why not? If it’s a better “investment” to get a 9.4-6 then that’s the route I will take. I know there is a bunch a speculative thought there on my part.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
not sure if this is a good investment type of book as it is fairly common...but there is always a potential if the character has a new book, movie, etc....I mean it is only 2 hundy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Is there a site where I can see accurate printing totals of books?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If you get a GoCollect account for $5.99/month, you can see the sales history for graded books & averages sales for up to two years.

I usually check the 12 & 6 month averages for a book I'm considering. It helps to make sure you don't overpay.

I recently got a subscription myself, & I use it a lot.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
Also being honest, I am new to this and I am coming from the coin side of investing/collecting (I know there is a difference)but in the coin world we always strived for the highest grade affordable. And if something we wanted wasn’t affordable then it was passed on. That’s the investment side of it. I don’t know that if there comes a time to sell a 9.6 or a 9.4 that it will be desirable when a 9.8 is/was affordable. So if it’s a good price and I am able to afford it, why not? If it’s a better “investment” to get a 9.4-6 then that’s the route I will take. I know there is a bunch a speculative thought there on my part.

Yes, I get that. I guess it really comes down to what you desire and what you are trying to get out of it. Investing and collecting are two completely different things to me. I read some of the other thread you started and there is a lot of good discussion in there.

If you are strictly looking at it as an investment, then going with the highest grade would be best, assuming you can get it for a reasonable price. As stated above, not sure how great of an investment book this is. For collecting, it's great. I have a 9.4 that I am extremely happy with and have no desire to buy up.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@00slim Thank you
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Lonestar I am most definitely going to research rarity+desirability before purchasing graded books. Thank you
Post 13 IP   flag post
Oh, GoCollect also has the CGC census, so, you can see how many slabbed books have received a given grade. It doesn't indicate the print run, but at least you know if a given grade is common.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
Is there a site where I can see accurate printing totals of books?

Not really. There has been some discussion of this on these forums in the past. You might be able to search for those threads. I think there are a few links to sites with some print run information, but it disputed by some of the posters here on how accurate the information was.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicnewbie - Like @00slim said, take a look at the census (CBCS has been promising their own for like 2 years now - soon LOL). Although it probably only represents a small portion of the available books for that issue, it at least lets you know how many graded issues (CGC only) are out there. It's pretty cool to own a comic that according to the census is pretty rare. However, as you will see from it, there are some books that are not rare at all in high grade (like ASM #300, for example) that are selling for relatively high prices. And you can find other examples of extremely rare books (some GA may have only one or a few graded copies listed) that are not worth thousands of dollars. So supply is in the equation, but demand is king.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I’m beginning to think that I should forget about slabbed and let my son continue to pick what he wants to read and buy a second to store. AND maybe, just maybe one day......
Post 17 IP   flag post
Totally up to you, but don't get discouraged.

For someone who just got started, I'd say you've looked into some pretty decent choices.

The comic book market is just incredibly fluid. She-Hulk #1 is a pretty good example. There are rumors she'll be showing up on Netflix. If it's officially announced, the book will shoot up briefly & fluctuate as the speculation mounts.

Then, after the show debuts, the book will drop back down, albeit, not quite as low as it was before the announcement.

This plays out over & over again.

Sometimes hype only lasts a few weeks. Special Marvel Edition #15 (1st Shang-Chi) was super hot for a while. It's now very reasonably priced.

Now, this is all speaking of the short term (six months to a year).

The long term is unpredictable. The speculation game is a tough one. This is why the "buy what you like" model is strongly advised. At least, at the end of the day, you have comics you like.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
The long term is unpredictable. The speculation game is a tough one. This is why the "buy what you like" model is strongly advised. At least, at the end of the day, you have comics you like.
@Comicnewbie This. The other advise I would give is that you might be better off looking for a raw copy of a key book, that you can get slabbed, rather than buying one already slabbed. That is if you are wanting to make money off of it. It's a risk/reward thing and it can take a long time to find those. But for me, that's half the fun.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
That is true, only rarely is a slabbed book cheaper than a raw, if your eye is good. I got my she hulk for 100 raw, got the 9.8. That was another $25 or so, now I hold for more years. Still, have not doubled my investment immediately, based on eBay sales prices so did not meet my goal.
Post 20 IP   flag post
600698 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?