Restored Books5316

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
In the case of a dot of added color, I can't imagine there would be much of a difference in grades (i.e., restored vs. unrestored) -- but possibly a tremendous difference in price.

A golden age book with a dot of color touch is not restored by CGC standards.

Incorrect.

Actually, you are being a bit too clever with your choice of wording of the words of "a single dot".

Color touch is ink applied to a cover with the clear intent of masking a defect.

If a blue spot of ink is on a book with a green cover background, where no other ink but green was ever in that area originally, that would not be color touch.

That would just be a defect.

If you believe me to be wrong, post up an example and we can discuss it.

Ehat you did above is slamming CGC, with no substantive reasoning.

I do not think it was intentional on your part, I just want to point out that this sort of comment leads to areactionary, knee jerk bias against CGC.

This goes both ways. It is just as common for collectors who prefer CGC over CBCS, to say similiar things about CBCS.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
For me, what has always been missing for restored comics is an estimated grade of the book WITHOUT restoration. So, as an example, for a restored comic with a purple label grade of 9.0 (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the grade that the comic would have if it appeared as it currently does WITHOUT having been restored), I would also like to see a companion grade estimating what the book would grade at if the restoration could be removed.

So, something like 9.0 / 7.5 to show the apparent grade along with an estimated unrestored grade. That way, it's easier to know that you are really buying a very nice looking 7.5 and can adjust your target buying price accordingly.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone, though. Hopefully, y'all can understand what I'm getting at.

CBCS and CGC grading would be devalued if a "pre-restored" grade was posted on a label.

Mostly because it would be an arbitrary guess, considering the graders did not actually have the book in it's pre-restored state in hand, to assign a grade.

They would be making an educated guess on estimating a pre restored grade.

In doing so, their competency would come into question.

All restoration is noted by graders. That is all you really need to know, to estimate the original condition of a book.

Well worded and absolutely spot on. I couldn't have stated it any better and I absolutely agree
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Mostly because it would be an arbitrary guess, considering the graders did not actually have the book in it's pre-restored state in hand, to assign a grade.

All restoration is noted by graders. That is all you really need to know, to estimate the original condition of a book.

The last paragraph contradicts the previous ones.
If all restoration is noted by graders, then it would be easy to assign a pre-restored grade.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
good..waiting for a post on this...so what's my C-1 slight amount of color touch on cover really worth ( I bought this raw about 15 yrs ago and was surprised when it came back purple) ..wondering if I should get it pressed or if the purple makes the grade bump value irrelevant
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher, beautiful book.
Post 30 IP   flag post

@jrs...thanks...almost sold it out of frustration but glad I hung on to it.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

The last paragraph contradicts the previous ones.
If all restoration is noted by graders, then it would be easy to assign a pre-restored grade.

No, it would be wholly impractical.

Grades assigned by comic grading companies are valuable because the graders sre experienced, reputable professionals.

Saying a restored 6.5 book was originally a 4.0 book, without actually holding the book in hand, in its original state to grade the book......that woukd make the graders look like hacks.
Post 32 IP   flag post
@Watcher that's a nice book.

it could be something small enough to keep that book in the 7 range if you removed the CT. Have you looked closer to see what the actual issue is?

Having an unrestored 6-7, hell maybe even an 8 > restored 8
Post 33 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer...I probably read notes when it came in..but that was a while ago so I don't remember. I'll take a look in my folder and see if I have the notes stored. But back to my original question...

is is cost effective to mess with this book. Its not like its a ASM1. Is there a big enough jump to have a 7.0 blue after cost of CT removal and regrade and shipping (oh..and a press since I never pressed it - assuming defects are press-able)

Whats it even cost to remove color touch by someone who wouldn't damage the book further?
Post 34 IP   flag post
This is all there was

Line Item # Title Issue Issue Date Publisher Country Variant Pedigree Category Grader Notes Grade Page Quality Grade Text Art Comments Key Comments
001 Amazing Spider-Man 11 4/64 Marvel Comics C-1 8.0 OFF-WHITE Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. Stan Lee story
Steve Ditko art
Steve Ditko & Jack Kirby cover 2nd appearance of Doctor Octopus.
1st appearance & ""death""
of Bennett Brant.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
@shrewbeer...I probably read notes when it came in..but that was a while ago so I don't remember. I'll take a look in my folder and see if I have the notes stored. But back to my original question...

is is cost effective to mess with this book. Its not like its a ASM1. Is there a big enough jump to have a 7.0 blue after cost of CT removal and regrade and shipping (oh..and a press since I never pressed it - assuming defects are press-able)

Whats it even cost to remove color touch by someone who wouldn't damage the book further?

A 7.0 sold for $700 yesterday. I doubt you could get $250 with that purple label

Totally worth looking into. At the least I would crack it and put it under UV to see exactly what you’re dealing with. It could be just a single spine tic someone touched up, potentially very easy to remove if it didn’t bleed through
Post 36 IP   flag post
Good to know...thanks Shrew
Post 37 IP   flag post
Hey Shrew...I did find this which seems pretty high for the grade and its the same resto as mine but moderate where mine is minor. I think someone over paid
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-11-2nd-Appearance-of-Dr-Octopus-CGC-Restored-4-0-OW-Pages-/252805565900?hash=item3adc62cdcc%3Ag%3AwtkAAOSwTM5YwcQg&nma=true&si=XPm6q%252BLmH18O3%252BXFzYP2SpaR2%252F0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 38 IP   flag post
Yeah the problem with restored books is nobody seems to be willing to pay more than VG price for them no matter the grade.

Can’t say that I blame them, on most books I would probably buy a G/VG book over a perfect restored one

Whoever bought that one you just linked is crazy. Raw unrestored VG books are going for 200 all day long on eBay
Post 39 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
My first order with CBCS around 3 years ago included an Iron Man #8 that I had bought from a dealer at a comic show probably 35 or 40 years ago. I am pretty sure it cost me around $5. Having owned it all these years and not being a key, I was pretty shocked when it came back with slight amateur color touch on cover. I sold it to a collector friend for $25 just to get something for it (I kept it in the slab and told him about the color touch upfront).
Since then I have submitted around another 100 comics to CBCS. Many have been Bronze Age issues that I bought new off the rack, so I knew they weren’t restored. However, I am a bit worried about my older books that I purchased from dealers long ago. Two of my X-Men run have come back trimmed - a #14 @ 7.5 and a gorgeous #16 @ 9.2. This has made me a bit nervous about submitting more SA books. Looking closely at my X-Men set, I have suspicions that at least one or more have also been trimmed.
Would you submit a SA book for grading that you suspect is trimmed? I am talking about books from the 1960’s and early 1970’s that look to be in 8.0 or better condition.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
The only comic books I buy that have been restored are GOLDEN AGE or if it wasn't disclosed in the listing. I've bought (2) that way. Thought I was getting a great deal only to find out that on the CBCS label that they were restored.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
This is all there was

Line Item # Title Issue Issue Date Publisher Country Variant Pedigree Category Grader Notes Grade Page Quality Grade Text Art Comments Key Comments
001 Amazing Spider-Man 11 4/64 Marvel Comics C-1 8.0 OFF-WHITE Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. Stan Lee story
Steve Ditko art
Steve Ditko & Jack Kirby cover 2nd appearance of Doctor Octopus.
1st appearance & ""death""
of Bennett Brant.

If you post up a bunch of pics, I should be able to spot the CT, and be able to give you a solid estimate on what the book would grade as , if the CT was scraped off and the book was than cleaned n pressed. Graders Notes would be helpful, they will cost you $5.

Cheaper than cracking the slab, if it is a washout.

If it is a really small amount of CT, and the book has spreadable defects, you may be able to avoid a grade drop.

If it's doable, send it into CFP Or Ricketts.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Thanks CAK....been a day from hell so I haven't had a chance to pull it out or order notes (kid home with strep, dog got sprayed in face by a skunk and I had the electrician and stove guy here all day as I tried to fortify my comic rack with a longer screw into the stud..missed the stud and hit a 220 line shorting out half the house) ...but Im lucky I'm not dead the guy said. Which would've sucked in and of itself and for the fact that my kids have no interest in my books and my wife would have come on here and offered them for a couple hundred bucks

more electricians tomorrow ..over an 80 cent screw ..Ugh...Ill get to the spidey book when I have a sec
Post 43 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher - Hey Darrin, stop screwing around with electricity, at least until you tell your wife to call me about your collection as soon as you are "gone."
Post 44 IP   flag post
@esaravo....hahahaha..no doubt brother...i'll leave your number on the counter and she can call you first ..I think she's trying to kill me off...my ladder slipped in July and I fell off the roof face first onto concrete...that should've killed me too...still can't move my arm full rotation. I think she's getting more aggressive in her schemes.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@Watcher - My wife watches a LOT of those true police files shows that always talk about women killing off their husbands. Maybe I’m a little paranoid, but I haven’t eaten green jello in years.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks CAK....been a day from hell so I haven't had a chance to pull it out or order notes (kid home with strep, dog got sprayed in face by a skunk and I had the electrician and stove guy here all day as I tried to fortify my comic rack with a longer screw into the stud..missed the stud and hit a 220 line shorting out half the house) ...but Im lucky I'm not dead the guy said. Which would've sucked in and of itself and for the fact that my kids have no interest in my books and my wife would have come on here and offered them for a couple hundred bucks

more electricians tomorrow ..over an 80 cent screw ..Ugh...Ill get to the spidey book when I have a sec

No probs, brotha.

I was on my cell earlier, now that I see the book on my laptop...it is a fuzzy scan...but I circled the possible contenders for CT.

Of course, going off a fuzzy scan these are just possible guesses based on darker color toned areas but this will give you an idea where to look.

Angle the book in natural sunlight, most CT can be spotted by sunlight.

Just like vampires.

Post 47 IP   flag post
@CAK...thanks ..I'll splash it with the holy water I still have after seeing Salem's lot 40yrs ago and then I'll angle it in the sun light if I get a chance today (and snap some pics)
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
My ASM #100 is a purple label. I'm assuming the color touch is on the interior, 'cause I can't see anything that would be touch-up on the front/back cover. Its a 9.0, so coloring up to a blue or gold label in that condition would be prohibitively expensive. One of the few cases where I'm willing to be happy with what I have.
Post 49 IP   flag post
so @CAK...I bought a black light (50.00 frikin dollars) and took some pics...I don't see anything...must be doing something wrong

The only color issue I see (under normal light with the naked eye is transfer of purple onto the yellow -1st pic)...but I don't know if that's the issue or just from printing because that seems a bit more significant than "light color touch"

Post 50 IP   flag post
Darrin, in your last photo, it looks to me like a red marker was used along the spine about five or six times to hide some stress marks.
Post 51 IP   flag post
ah...yes...I see it I expected it to stand out brightly. I also suspect the same was done for the purple. If that's all that exists...can it be removed with ease and at a reasonable cost?
Post 52 IP   flag post
and I assume they would have to locate and remove it all no matter the amount or it'd still come back purple..right?
Post 53 IP   flag post
You would have to talk to someone in that field. Unless it was a relatively easy fix [which it never is, at least for me) I would just accept the fact that there’s color touch and either keep the book the way it is or get rid of it (sell or trade). I remember seeing a key SA book for sale that someone scrapped all the color touched areas off. It looked terrible - like a mouse had chewed off pieces of the cover. But it had the Blue label.
Personally, I think as prices on older books increase, there will be more of a willingness for some collectors, especially newer collectors, to purchase restored books. I have seen numerous restored GA comics and SA keys sell in auctions at prices that are in the range of 50% or more compared to unrestored copies.
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
A straight 8 costs about $900-$1000

How much are you willing to put into this book to get it to a Universal 5.0?
Post 55 IP   flag post
597870 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?