Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Superman #1000. Who's in for multiples?5312

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Didn’t the last Superman hype (500) I think, lead to a big comic book correction, based on the data? Not that I’m superstitious, but I’ll make sure I buy one to head that off. Now it would be very bad for my plans

Adventures of Superman #500 had a reported print run of 2.5-3 million copies. It was the highest selling book of 1993.

At the Diamond Retailer Summit, DC was crowing about some book having 500,000 copies ordered so far...I forget which one. Some free reboot or something. In any event, if Action #1,000 has orders for 500,000 copies, that would be pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I find it interesting in that multiple times in the past 40 years Action Comics has gone biweekly or weekly, and yet the first 500 issues spanned 39 years and the latest 500 issues spanned 41 years of time. Unless DC really hosed up their method of counting with all the reboots and annuals and such...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I haven't looked it up but back then wasn't it published bi-monthly?

Action has been published monthly, month in and month out, from #1 to #600. Action was published weekly in 1988...#601-642...then took a couple of month hiatus before returning with Perez in #643. Then, it took a two month hiatus in late 92/early 93, while gearing up for the return of Superman.

Action #500 came out in 1979, so the latest 500 issues spanned 39 years, while the first 500 spanned 41.

If the book had remained monthly from #1 on, it would not have reached #1,000 until Sept. of 2021...so we're a few years early. I wonder if they'll schedule #1200 for May of 2038...?
Post 401 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know why issues are dated June 2018
Post 402 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Action #1 came out in June of 1938. So this way they can say it has been 90 years since #1.
Post 403 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
2018 - 1938 = 80
Post 404 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
2018 - 1938 = 80
Oops. 80. I guess I can't.
Post 405 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Action #1 came out in June of 1938. So this way they can say it has been 90 years since #1.

They should've just postponed action 1000 to actual June dare so they could have given the artists a chance to do a decent cover.. ( and writers a chance to fill it with meaningful content.)

Was/is a really uninspired book cover to cover. After reading it there is no way I will get anymore.
Post 406 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
I went with 30's Steve Rude cover. My regular LCS was out of cover As, so I may stop at another on the way home. Still underwhelmed by these. Debating a sketch cover, but realistically I doubt I'll ever jump through all the hoops of getting a commission. I would love to have a Dan Jurgens sketch though.

Mid town has the jurgen sketch cover, signed or unsigned. I got that the lee cover coming
Post 407 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Action #500 came out in 1979, so the latest 500 issues spanned 39 years, while the first 500 spanned 41.

After reading this, you reminded me that I purchased Action 500 off the spinner rack 39 years ago, which was my first Superman comic ... I still have that copy!
Post 408 IP   flag post
Collector jdangerc private msg quote post Address this user
My local Comic shops have a ton of #1000s left. I have a feeling these will be in the $1 bins by this time next year.
Post 409 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdangerc
My local Comic shops have a ton of #1000s left. I have a feeling these will be in the $1 bins by this time next year.

My shop had about 10 of the Bermejo cover left.
Post 410 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Does anyone know why issues are dated June 2018

It's the standard 2 months publication date / cover date variance.
It started at the beginning of comic book publishing and was meant for the newsstand market. That market has all but fallen on the wayside for the "big 2" but they keep the 2 month separation for consistency at this point.
Post 411 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
This is kinda cool. Latest catalog from Heritage has a lenticular cover. Here are the front and back.

Post 412 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 413 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke This one is growing on me. Broke down and bought all of the covers except the virgins.
Post 414 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke, which one is that? That's one I'd really like to have.
Post 415 IP   flag post
Collector Mickcatron private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like third eye comics
Post 416 IP   flag post
Looks like Jim Lee tour and nicola Scott covers are quite hot.. Jim Lee tour covers have lots of hot auctions.. Nicola Scott cover has sold at highest price I think
Post 417 IP   flag post
@KYoung_1974 its Third Eye Comics still fairly cheap on ebay.
Post 418 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, it's the Third Eye Comics variant. It's the only one I chose out of all of them that I liked. I cannot tell you how amazing this cover looks in person.
Post 419 IP   flag post
Collector Mickcatron private msg quote post Address this user
Just ordered one, probably my favorite too. I did get the Kirkman covers, but I think I like this one better.
Post 420 IP   flag post
Cool! Thanks guys
Post 421 IP   flag post
Not really fan of the third eye version in pictures, haven't seen it in person though. It reminds me of the superman movie but he doesn't look like Christopher reeve. Haha

Really happy with my nicola Scott cover.. Its vibrant, and really has an anniversary / milestone cover feel to it. It seems like it's more detailed or something than the picture I saw when I ordered it.
Post 422 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Yes, it's the Third Eye Comics variant. It's the only one I chose out of all of them that I liked. I cannot tell you how amazing this cover looks in person.

Kaare Andrews does some amazing covers. His versions of Action Comics #998 and #999 are also pretty fantastic.

Post 423 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Came across this in a lot of comics I just bought - what's wrong with DC.
Should have done a photo cover!

Post 424 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Mattel's contribution to Supes birthday/milestone.

Not bad....*shrugs*....??....

https://shop.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ms/hot-wheels-dc-superman-action-comics-1-gbp01?bid=402966218&cid=98387773&uid=f3132ff0d692c221bb9d3588c2e930a8d872f2381716ddbddc2a70c53e37c52b&utm_medium=email&utm_source=marketing&utm_campaign=MAT-US-ECOM-062618-SDCCPresaleEmail&email_source=MKT
Post 425 IP   flag post
598064 425 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?