Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Superman #1000. Who's in for multiples?5312

Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user

Post 376 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not ashamed!

Post 377 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster did you get a discount for picking up the full set?
Post 378 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics Yes, I did. $5.99ea = 59.90 total for all 10.
Post 379 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I went with 30's Steve Rude cover. My regular LCS was out of cover As, so I may stop at another on the way home. Still underwhelmed by these. Debating a sketch cover, but realistically I doubt I'll ever jump through all the hoops of getting a commission. I would love to have a Dan Jurgens sketch though.
Post 380 IP   flag post

I got my #1000's last night/morning. My LCS in Las Vegas did a midnight reveal and was open until 1:00 am. Any other stores do that in your area?
Post 381 IP   flag post
No midnights around here...
Post 382 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I used to wonder why more businesses in Atlanta weren't open at night. Last year I sat through a local zoning hearing and I no longer wonder. Many businesses are restricted from staying open late by zoning laws.
Post 383 IP   flag post
So let's have some fun....

The following is in theory only..

500,000 copies
- of all variants? Okay...yes...all

Now 500k isn't that much in some ways, but nothing like 500-1000-3000 ratios either.

But...even at $8.00 a crack, I can see how DC may stop there and hope for a 2nd or third or even 4th printing.

In comparison...Superman #75 had 750k+ (or something like that - maybe more) and also the artist-writer did limited signings with COA. We saw 2nd, 3rd, and 4th printings distributed.

Is this the same game plan?

It was only one per person...just like Supes75.

Anyhow....my point being....is to show how limited each cover is/may be...and in truth, may pan out for anyone who picks up a copy.

I see a similarity to Gen13 #1 as well - within the "marketing view".

Now....will there be other less than 3k exclusives? Probably....DC wants to make cash....limited books is a stream of income they know they have already.

hmmmmmm...so agree or disagree?
Post 384 IP   flag post
Here is a plug for my LCS. Love this place. They have 4 stores in the Las Vegas area. This is the event they had at midnight for Action #1000.

TONIGHT at the very stroke of midnight our doors will fling open for ONE HOUR to get you, the superest of Superman fans, the first crack at owning a piece--or several pieces--of history! Action Comics #1000 features 10 beautiful covers that can all be yours TONIGHT!
In fact, bundle and save: when you purchase all 10 covers you will save 15% off the total! All guests will receive 1 raffle ticket for a chance to win a special Celebration Bundle given away at each location TONIGHT!

One Hour Only! 12am--1am TONIGHT at MaximuM Comics!
Post 385 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Could you pick up any other of the weeks new releases? Or was it just action 1000?

Did not even look at them today. sticking with the Jock cover, signed.
Post 386 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
I'm not ashamed!

Post 387 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I got my #1000's last night/morning. My LCS in Las Vegas did a midnight reveal and was open until 1:00 am. Any other stores do that in your area?

Up, Up, and Away in Cincinnati had a midnight release party. I had to travel though, dammit, so I missed it. They opened again at 10:30 and had Superman trivia, a showing of an old Superman cartoon (I think one of the old Fleischer ones), a limited print giveaway by Darwyn Cooke, and other things like that. Totally bummed I missed it.

FYI, they said you could pick up any of the new DC releases at the same time. Not sure about other publishers.
Post 388 IP   flag post
...you win some....and you lose some....

That is the nature of this hobby.

Post 389 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Could you pick up any other of the weeks new releases? Or was it just action 1000?

Just the Actions
Post 390 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I went to a midnight release, picked up ASM799 at the same time
Post 391 IP   flag post
I saw ASM799, but one milestone a day is all I can afford....LOL

although I did pick up a Venomized 2 variant and a Jim Lee DM5 variant (8.5+ maybe), because I didn't have it, but was good enough.

Saw the DM 5 & 6 foil variants....hmmmmmm...not too sure if I want to travel that road AGAIN!! The 90s sort of took the wind out of that....unless they are limited....which I doubt.

Was hoping to see the Mattina DM2 variant....*sighs*.....nope....

Interesting day it was.
Post 392 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Those covers don't look any better in real life.... Bleh. The standard Jim Lee cover is appalling.

Some of the middle pages that reminisce on superman's journey over the years would have made MUCH better covers.
Post 393 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Haven’t been following this at all until now. Appears to be all cover hype. Has anyone read it? How does Superman die in this one?
Post 394 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
It appears they are for sale already on ebay.

mm
Post 395 IP   flag post
LOL @doog !!!

This link has a little bit of info on the book, but no I haven't read it yet....wife died last month suddenly, so my mind is elsewhere for the most part.....SO NO SPOILERS!!!

Not sure if you can get to this link or not (member newsletter), but some good info...

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/blog/celebrate-a-superman-milestone-with-action-comics-1000/?scid=GORM026&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Superman&utm_content=Image+-+Superman&utm_campaign=TM_ActionComics1000
Post 396 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Didn’t the last Superman hype (500) I think, lead to a big comic book correction, based on the data? Not that I’m superstitious, but I’ll make sure I buy one to head that off. Now it would be very bad for my plans
Post 397 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here is a plug for my LCS. Love this place. They have 4 stores in the Las Vegas area. This is the event they had at midnight for Action #1000.

TONIGHT at the very stroke of midnight our doors will fling open for ONE HOUR to get you, the superest of Superman fans, the first crack at owning a piece--or several pieces--of history! Action Comics #1000 features 10 beautiful covers that can all be yours TONIGHT!
In fact, bundle and save: when you purchase all 10 covers you will save 15% off the total! All guests will receive 1 raffle ticket for a chance to win a special Celebration Bundle given away at each location TONIGHT!

One Hour Only! 12am--1am TONIGHT at MaximuM Comics!

@OGJackster You're in Las Vegas? Do you know this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VisOxGTNOI ? I've watched his videos before. Just curious if he's pretty well known in the collecting community there.
Post 398 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Didn’t the last Superman hype (500) I think, lead to a big comic book correction, based on the data? Not that I’m superstitious, but I’ll make sure I buy one to head that off. Now it would be very bad for my plans

I find it interesting in that multiple times in the past 40 years Action Comics has gone biweekly or weekly, and yet the first 500 issues spanned 39 years and the latest 500 issues spanned 41 years of time. Unless DC really hosed up their method of counting with all the reboots and annuals and such...
Post 399 IP   flag post
I haven't looked it up but back then wasn't it published bi-monthly?
Post 400 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

Adventures of Superman #500 had a reported print run of 2.5-3 million copies. It was the highest selling book of 1993.

At the Diamond Retailer Summit, DC was crowing about some book having 500,000 copies ordered so far...I forget which one. Some free reboot or something. In any event, if Action #1,000 has orders for 500,000 copies, that would be pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I find it interesting in that multiple times in the past 40 years Action Comics has gone biweekly or weekly, and yet the first 500 issues spanned 39 years and the latest 500 issues spanned 41 years of time. Unless DC really hosed up their method of counting with all the reboots and annuals and such...
Quote:
I haven't looked it up but back then wasn't it published bi-monthly?

Action has been published monthly, month in and month out, from #1 to #600. Action was published weekly in 1988...#601-642...then took a couple of month hiatus before returning with Perez in #643. Then, it took a two month hiatus in late 92/early 93, while gearing up for the return of Superman.

Action #500 came out in 1979, so the latest 500 issues spanned 39 years, while the first 500 spanned 41.

If the book had remained monthly from #1 on, it would not have reached #1,000 until Sept. of 2021...so we're a few years early. I wonder if they'll schedule #1200 for May of 2038...?
Post 401 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone know why issues are dated June 2018
Post 402 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Action #1 came out in June of 1938. So this way they can say it has been 90 years since #1.
Post 403 IP   flag post
2018 - 1938 = 80
Post 404 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
2018 - 1938 = 80
Oops. 80. I guess I can't.
Post 405 IP   flag post
600498 425 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?